Allardyce plots shift in midfield with bid for Ghana's Boateng

Jimbo

Sam Allardyce is set to make the Ghana international Derek Boateng his first signing at Newcastle United. The expected arrival of the 24-year-old is a clear sign that the new manager wants to overhaul his midfield as well as defence with the injury-prone and high-earning Kieron Dyer, who has interested Tottenham Hotspur, unlikely to figure in Allardyce's plans.

Newcastle are also aware of West Ham United's strong interest in buying Scott Parker, who has failed to settle in the north-east and, according to sources, the club is prepared to let their captain go if they receive an acceptable bid. Newcastle want at least £7m for Parker.

Boateng, a striker who has been converted into an attacking midfielder, plays for the Israeli club Beitar Jerusalem. Allardyce has been tracking him for some time and had earmarked him as a recruit for Bolton.

Although the transfer fee is thought to be less than £1m, Boateng has had an outstanding season at Beitar, having moved there last summer when he signed a three-year contract. He had previously played in Greece and Sweden and represented Ghana in last summer's World Cup.

Boateng has yet to fulfil his potential although he has thrived in Israel. Four years ago Middlesbrough attempted to sign him but the bid failed because he could not secure a work permit. Since then he has become a regular international and now partners Michael Essien in the heart of midfield for his country.

Boateng may not be a high-profile signing but he is the kind of imaginative arrival that was the hallmark of Allardyce's time at Bolton. Having missed out on Steve Sidwell, who has moved to Chelsea from Reading after initially indicating he would move to St James' Park, he also represents the attacking threat that Allardyce feels Newcastle lack from the centre of midfield.

well skysports says were close to a signing, i reckon parker should go. if this new guy is similar to essien be cool.

Amen

couldnt really see what was that great about him really. then he was made captain which was like eh???

well skysports says were close to a signing, i reckon parker should go. if this new guy is similar to essien be cool.

Amen

couldnt really see what was that great about him really. then he was made captain which was like eh???

[Ronny Gill reading 'toon toon' fan]"Its because he had pashun for tha shert, yer knaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!?"[/Ronny Gill reading 'toon toon' fan]

Edited by Skol

Gent of Skunkers who predicted Allardyce ages ago, reckons Barton and Viduka very likely

That the same fella who predicted Rossi and Sibierski?

Not too impressed with the purchase of Barton if that's the case. Poor man's Gerrard, with an insane man's attitude.

Gent of Skunkers who predicted Allardyce ages ago, reckons Barton and Viduka very likely

Not too impressed with the purchase of Barton if that's the case. Poor man's Gerrard, with an insane man's attitude.

Aye, that's him

I'd take him, better than what we've got. Unfortunately, it'll only be a matter of weeks before he's down the Bigg Market putting the boot into some charva.

Edited by Skol

Yep

Aye, that's him

I'd take him, better than what we've got. Unfortunately, it'll only be a matter of weeks before he's down the Bigg Market putting the boot into some charva.

And you have a problem with that? If results like the last few years continue at least we may see our money put to good use off the park...

Aye, that's him

And you have a problem with that? If results like the last few years continue at least we may see our money put to good use off the park...

I should've removed the 'Un' :blink:

Aye, that's him

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? :blink:

i'd be happy for parker to go for around £8m.

not too sure about this ghanian chap though. could be a sign of things to come under allardyce. lower profile signings with smaller price tags. not necesarily a bad thing either

not a fan of barton at all be a poor buy, that ghana dude looks good though his football manager stats are good lol

They really don't.

there not bad better than dyers

not a fan of barton at all be a poor buy, that ghana dude looks good though his football manager stats are good lol

They really don't.

Dyer is a far better footballer than Barton.

They really don't.

Dyer is a far better footballer than Barton.

im on about the ghana guy not barton

Barton is rotten to the core. If he wasnt playing football hed be behind bars. I honestly dont think there is another player i would want less at our club.

i agree