Reality TV hits new low

Gemmill

Spoken to two Dutch friends about this and both of them think it's a good idea for a show!

One of says this

I think the politicians are very hypocrite when saying things such as "BNN is solving one problem, but creates two others. Did BNN even consider how the two people will feel who will be rejected as donor recipients?"

Ehm hello, tons of people deal with that on a daily basis and maybe people need to see what that is like. I think the government isn't doing well when it comes to organ donation (remember the campaign being blown off because the pictures used were 'too sexist'?) and something should be done. The dialogue is good, but I wonder if the shock horror way really works. It works for global disasters, so I guess that's what their point of view could have been.

Also, BNN have proved to be able to handle sensitive topics such as cancer leading towards death and several illnesses, so I have no doubt that they can actually deal with his as well.

So all and all, if I were at home I'd watch it, cause it's very interesting to me. But I admit that I wouldn't know if I would watch it weren't it my field of interest. I wonder what the regular viewer would get out of it, besides, hopefully, the message to become a donor.

It doesn't seem to have created much of a fuss there at all. Maybe it's just a different mentality.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoken to two Dutch friends about this and both of them think it's a good idea for a show!

One of says this

I think the politicians are very hypocrite when saying things such as "BNN is solving one problem, but creates two others. Did BNN even consider how the two people will feel who will be rejected as donor recipients?"

Ehm hello, tons of people deal with that on a daily basis and maybe people need to see what that is like. I think the government isn't doing well when it comes to organ donation (remember the campaign being blown off because the pictures used were 'too sexist'?) and something should be done. The dialogue is good, but I wonder if the shock horror way really works. It works for global disasters, so I guess that's what their point of view could have been.

Also, BNN have proved to be able to handle sensitive topics such as cancer leading towards death and several illnesses, so I have no doubt that they can actually deal with his as well.

So all and all, if I were at home I'd watch it, cause it's very interesting to me. But I admit that I wouldn't know if I would watch it weren't it my field of interest. I wonder what the regular viewer would get out of it, besides, hopefully, the message to become a donor.

It doesn't seem to have created much of a fuss there at all. Maybe it's just a different mentality.

I think your mate ish a shpashtic for sure.

Strange attitude from Dan there. Normally such a moralist.

;) I'm not a moralist (I'd like to think I'm very liberal), just trying to see both sides of it. I am actually against this show, but just emphasising the Dutch often have a different attitude to these things!

Guest alex

Strange attitude from Dan there. Normally such a moralist.

;) I'm not a moralist (I'd like to think I'm very liberal), just trying to see both sides of it. I am actually against this show, but just emphasising the Dutch often have a different attitude to these things!

They're probably hoping the winner has sex with the donor live on air.

quick lets all boycot Big Brother as a protest...

oh nobodys watching anyway?

The fact that anybody watched the ;) at all, ever, is frankly amazing to me.

Guest alex

Howay man, this is the general public we're talking about. :icon_lol:

I watched a canny bit of the first one like :icon_lol:

And has Spongbob mentioned it's a fascinating social experiment yet? ;)

Howay man, this is the general public we're talking about. :icon_lol:

I watched a canny bit of the first one like :icon_lol:

And has Spongbob mentioned it's a fascinating social experiment yet? :icon_lol:

Nah it's really not, it's basically just rubbernecking at crashes syndrome only for someone else's profit (and is of course astoundingly cheap to make).

I'd actually class reality TV as almost the lowest point of humanity (can you imagine what impression an alien species would get of us from such utter drivel).

As I'm sure I've said before I reckon we actually are only 5-10 years away from Rape an Ape. ;)

Guest alex

Aye, well I wasn't going along with Spongbob's POV (excuse tbh). I don't think there's much more to learn from of it really (if there ever was). I already knew vacuous conceited types weren't really my idea of what constitutes an interesting personality. I suppose some 'reality' tv is ok. The problem I have with it is you take something like 'The Osbournes' or even 'The Deadliest Catch' and what is probably a good idea for a one-off show or even a handful of shows is flogged to death. Not so sure about 'Jade's Salon' though. Wtf?

Aye, well I wasn't going along with Spongbob's POV (excuse tbh). I don't think there's much more to learn from of it really (if there ever was). I already knew vacuous conceited types weren't really my idea of what constitutes an interesting personality. I suppose some 'reality' tv is ok. The problem I have with it is you take something like 'The Osbournes' or even 'The Deadliest Catch' and what is probably a good idea for a one-off show or even a handful of shows is flogged to death. Not so sure about 'Jade's Salon' though. Wtf?

Stuff like the deadliest catch isn't so bad (although x series of it probably is) as it's more a look at fairly exceptional way of life, rather than just watching people be annoying/boring/fuckwits or whatever.

But the BB, CBB, I'm a whatever get me out of here, Lovewhatever, USA/UKs/Litchenstiens next top model, Top chef/mechanic/road sweeper/accountant rubbish is just brain mulching. ;)

Especially when much of it is rigged to produce artificial friction and is often somewhat scripted anyway.

Guest alex

Stuff like the deadliest catch isn't so bad (although x series of it probably is) as it's more a look at fairly exceptional way of life, rather than just watching people be annoying/boring/fuckwits or whatever.

But the BB, CBB, I'm a whatever get me out of here, Lovewhatever, USA/UKs/Litchenstiens next top model, Top chef/mechanic/road sweeper/accountant rubbish is just brain mulching. ;)

Especially when much of it is rigged to produce artificial friction and is often somewhat scripted anyway.

Airport man! How many shows did they make of that? There's only so much mileage out of watching Jeremy Sprake mince about ;) I do like Jerry Springer though, does that count?

Airport man! How many shows did they make of that? There's only so much mileage out of watching Jeremy Sprake mince about ;)

As a transport geek, I could never get enough of Airport, Airline, The Tube and co. ;)

Quite fond of yer American "reality" gameshows à la Survivor, Amazing Race etc. too.

Yes indeed, I am Living TV's ideal demographic. Hell, I'm probably Living TV's audience full stop.

Airport man! How many shows did they make of that? There's only so much mileage out of watching Jeremy Sprake mince about ;)

As a transport geek, I could never get enough of Airport, Airline, The Tube and co. ;)

Quite fond of yer American "reality" gameshows à la Survivor, Amazing Race etc. too.

Yes indeed, I am Living TV's ideal demographic. Hell, I'm probably Living TV's audience full stop.

+1 :icon_lol:

tbh I think it would have to go someway to beat this years big brother on the "new low" stakes.

Airport man! How many shows did they make of that? There's only so much mileage out of watching Jeremy Sprake mince about ;) I do like Jerry Springer though, does that count?

Oh grief aye, Airport was the full on accident gawkers/idiot watchers TV.

Jerry Springer is also tosh, but it's often about as real as Red Dwarf tbh.

Rape an Ape is the way to go and would at least (hopefully) seriously mentally scar those the got involved with it for life.

Guest Patrokles

If people didn't watch shit like this, they wouldn't make shit like this. You have to blame the general public, same as you have to blame the general public for Jamie T and the Arctic Monkeys.

Guest Patrokles

Patrokles watched Big Brother before anyone else had heard of it.

Never watched it, tbh, nor had any desire to. Also I'm not sure where the whole 'heard it first' thing comes from, as I've never actually said anything of the sort. It's just a fallacious assocation spawned by the fact that I clearly like music.

Patrokles watched Big Brother before anyone else had heard of it.

Never watched it, tbh, nor had any desire to. Also I'm not sure where the whole 'heard it first' thing comes from, as I've never actually said anything of the sort. It's just a fallacious assocation spawned by the fact that I clearly like music.

Neither have I, load of shite.

And yes you have. ;)

Guest alex

Well, I do watch 'Boston Legal' on it. So does Gemmill.

Guest alex

How can people say it's a load of shite without watching it? Not that it isn't a load of shite.

I'm saying it's a load of shite without having watched this one. Just an educated guess tbh ;)