Rozenhal bid on table

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United have bid £2m for Paris St-Germain Czech international David Rozenhal.

They are still waiting to hear from the French club but United boss Sam Allardyce is expecting that he will bring in the first of three defenders he so desperately needs.

Rozenhal is keen to switch from Paris to Tyneside and United would not expect any problems when they sit down and talk to the player and his agent about wages.

With striker Mark Viduka already in the bag and midfielder Joey Barton all but tied up, Allardyce has made no secret of the fact that defenders are a priority - and Rozenhal could be the first.

United are still very much involved in talks to sign Tal Ben Haim despite Chelsea offering £60,000 a week to the player who was a success under Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers.

And they have spoken to Marseille about their experienced defender and captain the 29-year-old Habib Beye, who can play both at full-back and at centre- half.

However, even if United do get two of these three targets, I understand there is still scope for Sami Hyypia to bring all his experience to St James' Park.

But one player who looks like missing out on the move he wanted to United is Wigan Athletic left-back and England Under-21 international Leighton Baines.

Chris Hutchings, who has replaced Paul Jewell at the JJB Stadium, has slapped a £5m price tag on the in-demand Baines.

United will not pay this, but in any case, after studying the goals conceded last season, Allardyce found that a lack of aerial authority by the full-backs was one of the reasons, and Baines does not have the height the new manager is looking for in his defenders.

What must be encouraging for the supporters is that as they wait to hear Mike Ashley's plans for the club, Allardyce and Kenneth Shepherd, acting on behalf of his father Freddy, are keeping up their search for the players United so desperately need.

but at least Allardyce is giving a tactical reason for not signing him, rather than just saying he's over-pricd or whatever. I'd rather we built a team than had a talented but fractured team of individuals.

although I wouldn't want Nicky Hunt within shambling distance of our dressing room.

David Rozehnal's future should be resolved within the coming hours, according to the Paris Saint Germain defender's agent.

Newcastle and Borussia Dortmund are battling for the Czech stopper's services, with Sam Allardyce previously trying to sign him during last January's transfer window while with Bolton.

Officials from the German club have been in talks with their PSG counterparts recently and they appear to have jumped ahead of The Magpies in the race for Rozehnal.

Newcastle were understood to be hot favourites to sign the stopper, but Rozehnal's representative Pavel Zika has now revealed their interest has not been as hot as it might have seemed.

Zika hopes the 26-year-old will learn where his future lies in the next 24 hours as Rozehnal's transfer saga has been ongoing for the last couple of weeks.

"I am convinced that it will be decided within the next few hours," Zika said in Sport.

"So far (Newcastle) have showed their interest only in the papers and the question now is if they really confirm their interest and enter the negotiations.

"We believe it will happen, and David's move will therefore be finalised within the next few hours."

Meanwhile, Zika revealed his feeling that Rozehnal may favour a move to Dortmund this summer, but insists he is open to a move to either Signal-Iduna-Park or St James' Park.

"Both clubs are high-quality ones and both competitions are very good," he added.

"I think that he slightly prefers Dortmund but I don't want to speak for him. The discussions with the clubs will be decisive."

PSG are understood to be holding out for a fee in the region of €5.5million (£3.7million) for Rozehnal, who has been a rock at the heart of their defence for the last two years since joining from Club Brugge.

but at least Allardyce is giving a tactical reason for not signing him, rather than just saying he's over-pricd or whatever. I'd rather we built a team than had a talented but fractured team of individuals.

although I wouldn't want Nicky Hunt within shambling distance of our dressing room.

i agree with that and i think he will be looking to spend as little as he can too

Newcastle and Borussia Dortmund are battling for the Czech stopper's services, with Sam Allardyce previously trying to sign him during last January's transfer window while with Bolton.

Officials from the German club have been in talks with their PSG counterparts recently and they appear to have jumped ahead of The Magpies in the race for Rozehnal.

Newcastle were understood to be hot favourites to sign the stopper, but Rozehnal's representative Pavel Zika has now revealed their interest has not been as hot as it might have seemed.

Zika hopes the 26-year-old will learn where his future lies in the next 24 hours as Rozehnal's transfer saga has been ongoing for the last couple of weeks.

"I am convinced that it will be decided within the next few hours," Zika said in Sport.

"So far (Newcastle) have showed their interest only in the papers and the question now is if they really confirm their interest and enter the negotiations.

"We believe it will happen, and David's move will therefore be finalised within the next few hours."

Meanwhile, Zika revealed his feeling that Rozehnal may favour a move to Dortmund this summer, but insists he is open to a move to either Signal-Iduna-Park or St James' Park.

"Both clubs are high-quality ones and both competitions are very good," he added.

"I think that he slightly prefers Dortmund but I don't want to speak for him. The discussions with the clubs will be decisive."

PSG are understood to be holding out for a fee in the region of €5.5million (£3.7million) for Rozehnal, who has been a rock at the heart of their defence for the last two years since joining from Club Brugge

Newcastle United have bid £2m for Paris St-Germain Czech international David Rozenhal.

They are still waiting to hear from the French club but United boss Sam Allardyce is expecting that he will bring in the first of three defenders he so desperately needs.

Rozenhal is keen to switch from Paris to Tyneside and United would not expect any problems when they sit down and talk to the player and his agent about wages.

With striker Mark Viduka already in the bag and midfielder Joey Barton all but tied up, Allardyce has made no secret of the fact that defenders are a priority - and Rozenhal could be the first.

United are still very much involved in talks to sign Tal Ben Haim despite Chelsea offering £60,000 a week to the player who was a success under Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers.

And they have spoken to Marseille about their experienced defender and captain the 29-year-old Habib Beye, who can play both at full-back and at centre- half.

However, even if United do get two of these three targets, I understand there is still scope for Sami Hyypia to bring all his experience to St James' Park.

But one player who looks like missing out on the move he wanted to United is Wigan Athletic left-back and England Under-21 international Leighton Baines.

Chris Hutchings, who has replaced Paul Jewell at the JJB Stadium, has slapped a £5m price tag on the in-demand Baines.

United will not pay this, but in any case, after studying the goals conceded last season, Allardyce found that a lack of aerial authority by the full-backs was one of the reasons, and Baines does not have the height the new manager is looking for in his defenders.

What must be encouraging for the supporters is that as they wait to hear Mike Ashley's plans for the club, Allardyce and Kenneth Shepherd, acting on behalf of his father Freddy, are keeping up their search for the players United so desperately need.

Phew! Thanks for putting my mind at ease on that Anal! I thought everyone connected with the club was holed up in a London opium den ;)

Jeezaz :D

he also played in the world cup if you payed attention to any other teams except england, when you have worked in a bookies you get to watch alot of football when the world cup is on

he also played in the world cup if you payed attention to any other teams except england, when you have worked in a bookies you get to watch alot of football when the world cup is on

Somehow I don't think a Scot and a Germans biggest interest at the World Cup was England. ;)

So thats another 3 games 2 of which the Czechs were beat, do you really think you can give a true judgement of a player on the back of 4 games?