Shearer on Bellers (again)

paddy

I think the comments are quite funny and show the guy's not as humourless as is made out.

But why the fuck would we want Bellamy back, especially if Martins and Owen are staying. He's a good to average player who relies on pace and all to often breaks down. He comes with a hell of a lot of baggage (especially for us) and is a complete prick. Liverpool obviously have made up their minds about him, so have I. No thanks.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

None of your business Shearer, you don't play for us anymore, so who are you to say who should and shouldn't be playing for us?

I agree with Shearer but I agree with you too, if that makes sense.

Christ it seems like people just NEED something to moan about.

Nothing wrong with what he said, it's not exactly that Bellamy's behaviour or Shearer's opinion of him are under the official secrets act (and frankly he'd be in the know of what effect Bellamy's behaviour has behind the scenes).

It is quite funny though as Shearer was always dubbed boring because as a player he was constantly guarded in pretty much everything he said to the media, and now he's getting shit because he's being a bit more honest and open. :razz:

Edited by Fop

Nothing wrong with what he said, it's not exactly that Bellamy's behaviour or Shearer's opinion of him are under the official secrets act (and frankly he'd be in the know of what Bellamy's behaviour has behind the scenes).

It is quite funny though as Shearer was always dubbed boring because as a player he was constantly guarded in pretty much everything he said to the media, and now he's getting shit because he's being a bit more honest and open. :razz:

I think he's also fully aware of how much influence he still has though. I'm not that arsed though as I'm not particularly keen on Bellamy coming back.

Nothing wrong with what he said, it's not exactly that Bellamy's behaviour or Shearer's opinion of him are under the official secrets act (and frankly he'd be in the know of what Bellamy's behaviour has behind the scenes).

I think he's also fully aware of how much influence he still has though. I'm not that arsed though as I'm not particularly keen on Bellamy coming back.

Possibly, still nothing wrong with it though, especially if he feels (as he seems to) that he'd be a very negative effect on the club (Bellamy's issues have never really been on the pitch - although his temperament and mouth have got him into some issues there, lost us odd games even).

And as for Bellamy and Barton at the same club, that wouldn't be an issue, I'd expect Barton to have killed him by Christmas.

Weren't these comments part of an article in The Sun? Talksport were talking about it this morning.

If Sheeera is asked a direct question, what is he supposed to say - 'No comment' ?? He is in a position to say whatever he likes imo.

Also, all this talk of Bellamy being surplus to requirements at L'pool - is this known for definite, or is it just paper talk? Genuine question btw.

Nothing wrong with what he said, it's not exactly that Bellamy's behaviour or Shearer's opinion of him are under the official secrets act (and frankly he'd be in the know of what effect Bellamy's behaviour has behind the scenes).

Well, I moan about those things I think are wrong. And I think ex-professionals giving their opinions about club matters is wrong. It creates unnecessary news that a football club can better live without. They just serve the media circus.

IMHO a lot of clubs are hindered by poor handling of the media - and Newcastle is one of them. Off the field matters are causing far too much distraction. I can understand a tosser like Souness coming out with negative comments, but I think any ex-member of the club with the club at his heart (especially when being an icon like Shearer) should rather stay quiet. I therefore wished Shearer would have kept his creosoting profile. I for my part liked him better then, because back then he was professional.

And Fop, you are right, we all already knew about Bellamy and Shearer, so there is no need to see it plastered all about the papers again.

A Craig Bellamy thread invoking debate? Well I never.......

He left 2 years ago now - we shouldn't even be talking about him anymore. And I'm pretty sure he won't come back.

Well, I moan about those things I think are wrong. And I think ex-professionals giving their opinions about club matters is wrong. It creates unnecessary news that a football club can better live without. They just serve the media circus.

IMHO a lot of clubs are hindered by poor handling of the media - and Newcastle is one of them. Off the field matters are causing far too much distraction. I can understand a tosser like Souness coming out with negative comments, but I think any ex-member of the club with the club at his heart (especially when being an icon like Shearer) should rather stay quiet. I therefore wished Shearer would have kept his creosoting profile. I for my part liked him better then, because back then he was professional.

And Fop, you are right, we all already knew about Bellamy and Shearer, so there is no need to see it plastered all about the papers again.

Well:

1. Shearer job is now a pundit, so if he's not going to give his opinion to the media he's in a spot of trouble there.

and

2. Newcastle's media issues has very little to do with what Shearer may or may not say (or even really any ex-player or staff member), but has had more to do with its Chairman/Major shareholders behaviour and players behaviour on and off the pitch, combined with the very high profile still kinda hanging on from KK's era.

And I still see nothing unprofessional (especially for a professional pundit) about saying he'd not like to see Bellamy come back to Newcastle, unlike say sitting in a brother insulting everything and everyone or hitting someone with a chair or golf club or getting repeatedly plaster over the paper in sex scandles/rape cases as is our players/Chairman's usual wont.

He's also an ambassador for the club (officially that is).

Which would surely be an even greater reason to express a very mild opinion on something he believes would be negative to the club, especially given the change in ownership and manager I suspect.

Although again given the usual behaviour of Newcastle FC maybe it would have been more acceptable to have drunkenly slurred something much more direct and vulgar whilst ensconced in a brothel somewhere or other? :razz:

Which would surely be an even greater reason to express a very mild opinion on something he believes would be negative to the club, especially given the change in ownership and manager I suspect.

Although again given the usual behaviour of Newcastle FC maybe it would have been more acceptable to have drunkenly slurred something much more direct and vulgar whilst ensconced in a brothel somewhere or other? :razz:

I think the opposite is the case it isn't his role in that context imo.

So every time he's asked his (dreaded) opinion on MoTD about Newcastle he should just say "The owner, chairman, manager and players are all doing a top class job" and simply repeat that to any question asked?

And if challenged on this rather bizarre stance simply say "I'm a club ambassador, you know... The owner, chairman, manager and players are all doing a top class job". <_<

I'm pretty sure if he was uncomfortable about answering controversial questions he could just tell the MOTD producers not to ask them?

Yes I'm sure he could have a clause put in his contract explicitly forbidding them to ask him anything about Newcastle that might be construed as an opinion. <_<:razz:

So every time he's asked his (dreaded) opinion on MoTD about Newcastle he should just say "The owner, chairman, manager and players are all doing a top class job" and simply repeat that to any question asked?

And if challenged on this rather bizarre stance simply say "I'm a club ambassador, you know... The owner, chairman, manager and players are all doing a top class job". <_<

Perhaps there's a conflict of interest is what I'm saying. He didn't say this on MOTD either, did he? He was on holiday and he could have easily not commented but he chose to do so. I'd rather he didn't, not because it's Bellamy either. And he is more or less unique in his position of influence so that's why this sort of thing could potentially undermine decisions Allardyce or any future manager makes. Don't think for a minute he doesn't know what he's doing. This is about his personal dislike of the player rather than what is good for NUFC. The same applied when Bellamy left imo.

(Bellamy's issues have never really been on the pitch - although his temperament and mouth have got him into some issues there, lost us odd games even).

So his issues have been on the pitch then? :razz:

Not his main ones no. <_<

I'm pretty sure if he was uncomfortable about answering controversial questions he could just tell the MOTD producers not to ask them?

Yes I'm sure he could have a clause put in his contract explicitly forbidding them to ask him anything about Newcastle that might be construed as an opinion. <_<:razz:

Eh? Of course he could.

Perhaps there's a conflict of interest is what I'm saying. He didn't say this on MOTD either, did he? He was on holiday and he could have easily not commented but he chose to do so. I'd rather he didn't, not because it's Bellamy either. And he is more or less unique in his position of influence so that's why this sort of thing could potentially undermine decisions Allardyce or any future manager makes. Don't think for a minute he doesn't know what he's doing. This is about his personal dislike of the player rather than what is good for NUFC. The same applied when Bellamy left imo.

As you said:

If Allardyce wants him he won't take any notice of Shearer anyway imo.

And again despite the usual hysteria here there's nothing wrong (or frankly "unprofessional" as an ex-player, media pundit or club ambassador) with what he's said, it's no great secret and it's certainly a much milder opinion than what he has said about the issue before.

Frankly if he's said that he'd shove a corner flag up Bellamy's ass if he returned that'd still be rather sedate for Newcastles usual pantomime.