Big Sam rues big Taylor talk

khay

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has spoken of his disappointment that the club's contract dispute with Steven Taylor has gone public.

The promising 21-year-old, recently given a taste of full international honours with England, has rejected a contract offer to remain in the North East.

Taylor has established himself as a defensive lynchpin at St James' Park but the offer he received from the club has not sat well with his father, and advisor, Alf.

And having gone public with his concerns, Taylor senior has provoked Allardyce into a response.

Counter-punch

"The position is that we offered what we considered a very good contract for a player of his age and his experience, and if they have turned it down, then that's fine," said Allardyce.

"The disappointing thing is - and I don't want to get into any slanging matches - is that it was publicised in the papers, and I think that was wrong by his father.

"But I will cover that when we get sat down to talk about it again."

Key player

While Allardyce is loath to be held to ransom with regards the player's wages, he does accept that the defender is a now a key member of his first team ranks.

"Steven Taylor is a key member of our squad. We want him to stay, apparently it sounds like he wants to stay, so hopefully we can resolve the problems," he said.

"At the moment, we seem to be some way off, but we won't get sucked into paying somebody that we think is asking for too much.

"We want to give it a realistic look, and we have already started that process with the likes of Charles N'Zogbia, to push on to Nicky Butt and people like that who are in the last year of their contracts.

"That's the next thing we have to do now that the window is shut. Hopefully very shortly, everybody will have agreed and we will have a much more settled camp.

"From my point of view, it's always a little bit disturbing when people are talking about contracts while you are playing Premier League football.

"It can upset the player on the field, and that's the last thing we want."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2727532,00.html

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has spoken of his disappointment that the club's contract dispute with Steven Taylor has gone public.

The promising 21-year-old, recently given a taste of full international honours with England, has rejected a contract offer to remain in the North East.

Taylor has established himself as a defensive lynchpin at St James' Park but the offer he received from the club has not sat well with his father, and advisor, Alf.

And having gone public with his concerns, Taylor senior has provoked Allardyce into a response.

Counter-punch

"The position is that we offered what we considered a very good contract for a player of his age and his experience, and if they have turned it down, then that's fine," said Allardyce.

"The disappointing thing is - and I don't want to get into any slanging matches - is that it was publicised in the papers, and I think that was wrong by his father.

"But I will cover that when we get sat down to talk about it again."

Key player

While Allardyce is loath to be held to ransom with regards the player's wages, he does accept that the defender is a now a key member of his first team ranks.

"Steven Taylor is a key member of our squad. We want him to stay, apparently it sounds like he wants to stay, so hopefully we can resolve the problems," he said.

"At the moment, we seem to be some way off, but we won't get sucked into paying somebody that we think is asking for too much.

"We want to give it a realistic look, and we have already started that process with the likes of Charles N'Zogbia, to push on to Nicky Butt and people like that who are in the last year of their contracts.

"That's the next thing we have to do now that the window is shut. Hopefully very shortly, everybody will have agreed and we will have a much more settled camp.

"From my point of view, it's always a little bit disturbing when people are talking about contracts while you are playing Premier League football.

"It can upset the player on the field, and that's the last thing we want."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2727532,00.html

Fair comment by SA and it looks like the father is in for an earful.

The problem is, how do you go about re-building a sensible wage structure, from "Rolls Royce" wages?

Bound to upset a lot of people, even if many of the worst have now gone.

"If you don't like what we're offering you, fuck off somewhere else."

The problem is, how do you go about re-building a sensible wage structure, from "Rolls Royce" wages?

Yep a perfect recipe for dressing room harmony, motivated and focused players and attracting new players that would be.

We'd be winning the Champions League within 2 seasons. ;)

Yep a perfect recipe for dressing room harmony, motivated and focused players and attracting new players that would be.

It's done Tottenham no harm.

It's done Tottenham no harm.

I'm pretty sure their philosophy isn't quite "If you don't like what we're offering you, fuck off somewhere else.".

Furthermore they've had a strong wage structure for many, many years now (not seemingly trying to implement one straight from FFS free spending days).

Nor have I noticed Spurs winning the Premiership recently.

I'm pretty sure their philosophy isn't quite "If you don't like what we're offering you, fuck off somewhere else.".

Furthermore they've had a strong wage structure for many, many years now (not seemingly trying to implement one straight from FFS free spending days).

Nor have I noticed Spurs winning the Premiership recently.

My bad.

Good question but something that has to be done. I am sure the new guys will not be on stupid wages. It will be up to Sam to point out that Taylor may not be on as much as some but is at parity (SP) with the likes of Rohzenhal an Cacapa. And that he is not quite as certain of first team performances anymore. However Derby and Wigan would both love him to be in their first team.

Good question but something that has to be done. I am sure the new guys will not be on stupid wages. It will be up to Sam to point out that Taylor may not be on as much as some but is at parity (SP) with the likes of Rohzenhal an Cacapa. And that he is not quite as certain of first team performances anymore. However Derby and Wigan would both love him to be in their first team.

Aye you can even see it (although that may be more the Premiership than us as such) with some of the new players, coming in on "reasonable" wages, but still much higher than they'd get at a fairly big clubs in other leagues.

At the end of the day no one wants to be a mug and everyone wants to be the next Rooney (both in impact and wage packet), I guess.

100% with Big Sam, Taylor (and by proxy his Dad) are being total twats about this. The arrogance as well, has the little scrote not noticed that for the first time in a few years he actually has competition for his place?

If I were Sam, I'd get them back in for talks, whip out my piece and piss all over his contract. Then shake the drips off on Alf's face tbh.

Who the fucks Alf?

the one with my piss on his face.

I dont think taylor is being a twat and tbh, his dads just looking out for his son.

However, taylor (and his dad) need to realise that taylor squad status has changed.

Taylor might still think hes the number one defender at the club, which he was when him, bramble, babayaro and carr made up the back four.

but in bringing in new players, allardyce has changed that.

he is now the youngest and least experienced of our first team defenders.