RyanAir to Milan

peasepud

Just got back from 2 days away, £20 each for return flights (considering it cost a tenner to get a taxi from the airport to Westerhope!) to Bergamo Airport, at first you think its a con as Bergamo is something like 40 mile from Milan but the answer is not to bother with Milan, yes its got a canny cathedral and a few other things but frankly Bergamo is a beautiful place. It has a good mix of new town and the Upper Town which is authentic Italian and a fantastic place.

We went to Milan on Friday morning, got a bus then realised when we were there that there was a transport strike and very limited travel! Wandered round but like I say apart from the Cathedral (which is being done out) theres nothing spectacular to see, its mainly London with more brunettes :birthday:

One for Brock (Im guessing) though, there was a couple of hundred lasses hanging roung outside the Duomo (cathedral, notice the grasp of italiano) waiting to catch a glimpse of some band called Tokio Hotel?

Back to Bergamo though, I thoroughly recommend it and if you do go, stay at the Piazza Vecchia hotel, something like 120 euros a night for a fantastic room right in the centre of the Centro Alto with some proper authentic bars, cafes and amazing bakeries next door.

Once Ive sorted them out I'll post some of the pics we took.

I liked Milan as well, although it would be a twat to get around without the underground. I'd heard Bergamo was really nice too, but didn't have time to visit. Madness that you can get to Bergamo for £20 but it costs £2 to go two stops on the metro. :birthday:

I canot big Bergamo up enough, Milan is big city chic while Bergamo is Italy, proper little winding cobbled streets tiny litleshops and cafes and amazing views from the top plus its close to the Alps and only ten minutes from the airport.

Some pics...

View from one side of City Alto

b1.jpg

and the other (over the lower city)

b8.jpg

b2.jpg

b6.jpg

View from the hotel room balcony

before.jpg

A proper Italian cobbled street

b5.jpg

b7.jpg

Milans Duomo (Cathedral)

b3.jpg

What about the food - is there much variety or is it just pasta and pizza all the way?

And was your hotel nice?

Do they have clothes shops for the women?

And the award for daftest question of the year goes to....

course they do, its heaving with the things!

Food wise, obviously pizza and pasta are top (the mushroom pasta I had Friday night was like no other while the Lasagna al Bolognese was totally different to what you get here, it was more a mince pate but tasted fantastic). There were bakeries that had huge windows filled with different topped focacias and mini pizza breads while the cakes ....droooooool.

b9.jpg

If you go in a bar for a drink you get a plate of antipasto (sic?) just a small amount but it was perfect.

The hotel was spot on, the pics on the link dont do it justice, our room was big, airy, spotlessly clean and had a fantastic big bathroom.

b10.jpg

b11.jpg

b12.jpg

And the award for daftest question of the year goes to....

course they do, its heaving with the things!

Food wise, obviously pizza and pasta are top (the mushroom pasta I had Friday night was like no other while the Lasagna al Bolognese was totally different to what you get here, it was more a mince pate but tasted fantastic). There were bakeries that had huge windows filled with different topped focacias and mini pizza breads while the cakes ....droooooool.

b9.jpg

If you go in a bar for a drink you get a plate of antipasto (sic?) just a small amount but it was perfect.

The hotel was spot on, the pics on the link dont do it justice, our room was big, airy, spotlessly clean and had a fantastic big bathroom.

b10.jpg

Ok Peasepud, fair enough it cost £20 to get there but did you get value for money once you wre there?

b11.jpg

b12.jpg

Aye fair point the clothes should have gone, as for the rug well that was a tad out of place :birthday:

Cash wise, I found it way cheaper than Dublin was, for instance a large (and I mean wine bottle size) bottle of beer and a large glass of wine was 9 euros (considering we were paying 9.5 for a guiness and a half bottle of Magners in Dublin),

2 cappuccinos was around the 2.5euro mark (about 2quid) so I'd say that was good compared to home and the main meal we had on Friday night was 40Euros for a couple of drinks, main courses and deserts.

Shopping wise for the ladies, there was a woman on the plane back we were talking to who mentioned she goes shopping for clothes in some big shopping centre opposite the airport, seemingly stuff that sells in M&S and Per Una??? you get there before it comes out here for a third of the cost....allegedly.

Aye fair point the clothes should have gone, as for the rug well that was a tad out of place :birthday:

Cash wise, I found it way cheaper than Dublin was, for instance a large (and I mean wine bottle size) bottle of beer and a large glass of wine was 9 euros (considering we were paying 9.5 for a guiness and a half bottle of Magners in Dublin),

2 cappuccinos was around the 2.5euro mark (about 2quid) so I'd say that was good compared to home and the main meal we had on Friday night was 40Euros for a couple of drinks, main courses and deserts.

Shopping wise for the ladies, there was a woman on the plane back we were talking to who mentioned she goes shopping for clothes in some big shopping centre opposite the airport, seemingly stuff that sells in M&S and Per Una??? you get there before it comes out here for a third of the cost....allegedly.

I went to that shopping centre, couldn't get an atalanta top for the life of me.

That hotel looks spot on like. Could quite fancy 3-4 nights in Milan & Bergamo. Think I'll wait until the spring though

went to Bergamo for 1p. Love bergamo.

Aye, I'd only really heard of it through Atalanta but when I bought the Rough Guide to Italy when I went there last year it listed it as one of the top 25 places to go in all of Italy. Plus, Ryanair fly there. Off to Italy already next summer - flying to Pisa with Jet2 and going to there, Florence and Venice. Really fancy Rome too and EasyJet go there from Newcastle.