Are we missing the obvious answer??

Asprilla

IMO Big Sam is a better manager than Souness and Roeder. No real argument there perhaps....and by better I mean overall. He pays attention to the long term which is something that Souness and to an extent even Keegan didn't.

A healthy club from the bottom up.

What he does lack right now is passion, confidence and swagger. Something the Geordie public identify with and something that Keegan and Robson got right to varying degrees.

The talk is all about whether or not we sack Allardyce....but who replaces him? I think even the most vocal cynics would agree that he does a lot right behind the scenes. Another big payout in compensation and starting again is not likely to work, seeing as we've been in that state perpetually since Fatboy sacked Robson. The crowd no longer have the appetitie to wait for another season while another manager undoes everything the previous manager did.

So here's my suggestion, just like they did at Anfield way back, we appoint our "next" manager from within. We appoint Shearer as a coach to work under Allardyce to bring back some feelgood factor to the club. Then Shearer gets to learn the ropes and the media can fuck off elsewhere.

We aren't going to get Jose so let's forget that one.

The stumbling block would be the egos of both BS and AS but as far as I can see, it's better for BS than getting sacked, it stops the ugly rumours, it gives Shearer the experience that maybe managing a smaller club he wouldn't get and lastly the soopafans can at last identify with a hero once again.

Yes it will never happen, but in a parallel universe it could have worked....

:good:

I don't think he's short in the confidence / swagger department. He fucking loves himself :good:

There's definitely a certain logic to the idea in general though.

Didn't Sam turn down down the job the first time because of Shearer and the influence he had at the club or did I just make that up? :good:

Edited by MrBass

I don't really agree. For one, Liverpool promoted from within from a base of success, and even then they had to move on from that when it stopped working. Secondly, England also tried this with Mclaren with disastrous results. The bottom line is, the next manager should be the one with the best chance of success, and with Shearer that's an unknown element.

Didn't Sam turn down down the job the first time because of Shearer and the influence he had at the club or did I just make that up? :good:

That rumour did the rounds, although it was that Shearer was involved in the interviewing process and Allardyce (quite rightly imo) had a problem with that as Shearer was still a player. Assuming it was true.

IMO Big Sam is a better manager than Souness and Roeder. No real argument there perhaps.

What is your opinion based on?

Never having been sacked from a Premiership job.

Roeder has been hired to save a D1 team, BSA has a history of promoting D1 teams.

That rumour did the rounds, although it was that Shearer was involved in the interviewing process and Allardyce (quite rightly imo) had a problem with that as Shearer was still a player. Assuming it was true.

Wasn't that Martin O'Neill ?

IMO Big Sam is a better manager than Souness and Roeder. No real argument there perhaps.

Roeder has been hired to save a D1 team, BSA has a history of promoting D1 teams.

So?

So?

You want me to draw you a picture?

Wasn't that Martin O'Neill ?

No, I heard it about Allardyce (when Souness got the job) but I heard a rumour (when Souness got sacked) that the board were insisting Shearer had a role in the coaching set-up which O'Neill wasn't happy about. Not sure how true either are but I've heard the Allardyce one from a few sources.

So?

Roeder got us into Europe without having the ability to spend money with us.

I'd be surprised if Allardyce gets us into Europe this season. This time last season we had 26 points, the same as we have now. Lets not forget Roeder didn't have the luxury of having the money Allardyce did to spend this summer, or these clueless fuckwits that sit about on ProZone.

As for Allardyce being better than Souness? Take a look at the trophies he has won as manager, then compare it to Allardyce's.

So?

I'd be surprised if Allardyce gets us into Europe this season. This time last season we had 26 points, the same as we have now. Lets not forget Roeder didn't have the luxury of having the money Allardyce did to spend this summer, or these clueless fuckwits that sit about on ProZone.

As for Allardyce being better than Souness? Take a look at the trophies he has won as manager, then compare it to Allardyce's.

I think it says a lot about Roeder's ability as a coach that he got us into Europe. It says a lot about his ability as a manager that he started taking the club backwards as soon as he was in charge and was able to make his own signings etc. Allardyce is the better manager imo. Whether Allardyce is better (or has been better) than Souness is debatable although I think the latter is completely finished as a manager.

I think it says a lot about Roeder's ability as a coach that he got us into Europe. It says a lot about his ability as a manager that he started taking the club backwards as soon as he was in charge and was able to make his own signings etc. Allardyce is the better manager imo. Whether Allardyce is better (or has been better) than Souness is debatable although I think the latter is completely finished as a manager.

I'm not saying Roeder was a good manager, just better than Allardyce. Which, on present form, is not hard to do.

I also remember a lot of the players coming out and saying how they were impressed with Roeder's man management skills when he first took over. Compare that to this season where Allardyce has stated he doesn't trust our current crop of players to save his job.

If I was asked to pick watching Allardyce's NUFC or Roeder's NUFC, I'd pick Roeder's every day of the week.

So?

Didn't Allardyce only spend £9m though? Roeder spent around £15m.

You're right about the Prozone though.

Didn't Allardyce only spend £9m though? Roeder spent around £15m.

You're right about the Prozone though.

Debetable, it's no secret we were in massive debt last summer under Shepherd, so getting Shearer's wage bill off the books would have been a big welcome, plus selling Boumsong for £3.3m, Chopra for £500k, Faye for £2m and Viana for £1.7m.

I'm not saying Roeder was a good manager, just better than Allardyce. Which, on present form, is not hard to do.

I also remember a lot of the players coming out and saying how they were impressed with Roeder's man management skills when he first took over. Compare that to this season where Allardyce has stated he doesn't trust our current crop of players to save his job.

If I was asked to pick watching Allardyce's NUFC or Roeder's NUFC, I'd pick Roeder's every day of the week.

I think you're seeing Roeder through rose-tinted glasses there mate. I can see where you're coming from. Roeder has a pretty poor career overall too though, although he always seems to start well, for some reason.

I think you're seeing Roeder through rose-tinted glasses there mate. I can see where you're coming from. Roeder has a pretty poor career overall too though, although he always seems to start well, for some reason.

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagen...p?newsid=159052

Last paragraph, I'll try dig up some more comments about players saying they enjoy working for Roeder, I know there's one or two more.

To be honest like Roeder is fucking clueless and Souness was a complete arsehole and just as bad.

Sams ahead of those two if not by much - its certainly clear.

Sam has made some pretty bogus selections/decisions but im willing to give him time to get it right as there is no other choice. No manager worth their salt would come to us or at least not for a while till things are sorted.

A lot of the blame for the recent shambles goes down to the players too, particularly for the inability to score goals / defend consistently or do anything at all (Viduka last night).

Basically we are stuck with XL Sam so weve just got to bear it and see what happens at the end of the season...

To be honest like Roeder is fucking clueless and Souness was a complete arsehole and just as bad.

Sams ahead of those two if not by much - its certainly clear.

Sam has made some pretty bogus selections/decisions but im willing to give him time to get it right as there is no other choice. No manager worth their salt would come to us or at least not for a while till things are sorted.

A lot of the blame for the recent shambles goes down to the players too, particularly for the inability to score goals / defend consistently or do anything at all (Viduka last night).

Basically we are stuck with XL Sam so weve just got to bear it and see what happens at the end of the season...

How?

Last paragraph, I'll try dig up some more comments about players saying they enjoy working for Roeder, I know there's one or two more.

Joe Cole for definite and Carrick I think said they rated Roeder as a coach. That's not what I meant though by the rose-tinted comment. We were dreadful under Roeder last season imo. Just as bad as this.

Edited by alex

Joe Cole for definite and Carrick I think said they rated Roeder as a coach. That's not what I meant though by the rose-tinted comment. We were dreadful under Roeder last season imo. Just as bad as this.

We were dreadful yes, but not as bad as the shit Allardyce is serving up.