Alan Smith Debate

Deano

I just dont get why alot of you on here dont like him! Label him as a bad signing and sayin he's shit! I really cant get my head round it at all!

For me he is a work horse and a very commited player, he fights for the course and he is a great team player. For i do undestand people comments that he has not excelled in one particular role but he has excelled more for the team than others.

I just dont get the stick thats directed at him at all, and we have seen much much worse than him don the black and white jersey. I think some of you are expecting ronaldos and messis in the team, when you look at our current plight he is a very good player for us!

Yes he should of scored more and contributed more, but you could say that about virtually the whole team, play the boy upfront and be patient, once results come his goals will come. Id like to see him break his duck against man u and you know, i think he mite just.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

debate?

Well in my eyes theres no debate! He is a good player and should not be subjected to the shit some do on here!

As a manc what was your impression of him? Scored a few beltin goals for yas!

debate?

Well in my eyes theres no debate! He is a good player and should not be subjected to the shit some do on here!

:D

He's playing out of position, which is Allardyce's fault. Unfortunately, he seems to have been bought because he's 'versatile'. When I say that I mean that SAF tried him there once or twice so that means he must be. That's bollocks, he always looks like a striker playing in midfield and the fact he's almost got more cards to his name than Hallmark is indicative of that.

When he plays upfront he always looks busy, quite Sheareresque in a way barring his finishing. Problem is Viduka, Owen and Martins are all going to be ahead of him in the pecking order so he'll rarely get a run out there.

debate?

for who? :D<_<

The rags were happy to be shut of him tbh mate (not that that's really any barometer as their second string players can still represent an improvement for us at the moment). Basically they admired his workrate but were more than happy to let us take him off their hands. He's a good lad for the record (seen him out and about Mcr and theirs no twatfulness at all, just a down to earth bloke) but unfortunately that, even when coupled with his workrate, doesn't warrant a place in the starting eleven.

debate?

He's playing out of position, which is Allardyce's fault. Unfortunately, he seems to have been bought because he's 'versatile'. When I say that I mean that SAF tried him there once or twice so that means he must be. That's bollocks, he always looks like a striker playing in midfield and the fact he's almost got more cards to his name than Hallmark is indicative of that.

When he plays upfront he always looks busy, quite Sheareresque in a way barring his finishing. Problem is Viduka, Owen and Martins are all going to be ahead of him in the pecking order so he'll rarely get a run out there.

Shame because i think you play, smith and oba or smith and owen you'd get a good partnership. Instead we get to watch an imobile fat useless ozzie instead!! <_<

Smith's effort and commitment is a lesson to many players, but as a striker I think he's rather ordinary, and as a midfielder he's very poor, but you can always count on him giving 100%.

debate?

Shame because i think you play, smith and oba or smith and owen you'd get a good partnership. Instead we get to watch an imobile fat useless ozzie instead!! <_<

I still think Owen and Viduka will prove to be the best partnership once we start to create more.

I just don't think he's a 'modern' striker at all tbh so it's always going to be difficult. Quite clearly neither is Viduka for the record, but he has a much better idea of where the goal is than Smith.

Is it just me who is thinking that Smith got the captain's armband in the hope he might get away with some of his idiotic vitriol outbursts without a booking...

Edited by Isegrim

Canny hard working centre forward who can create things by his presence alone. Should score more, doesn't for some reason. Used to do nothing more than stop other teams playing when played anywhere else on the park. Not his fault, but when you look at the team sheet and see Smith is playing somewhere along the midfield, your heart can't help but sink. Not because of him, but because it means we're after the draw.

He's kind of crap, really. Especially as a midfielder, it's a joke. He's terrible with the ball, he's stupid (bad positioning and tackles everything he sees), can't pass...as a striker he's OK but he's not a goalscorer by any means and compared to the other attackers we've got he's nothing special at all. His role in the team should be backup to Viduka, really. And as for him being appointed captain, well that's just comical. The captain should be one of the key players of the squad, or at least a good one...

DEBATE? The lad is shit. Fergie deemed him too shit to play up front for him so he tried turning him into a midfielder which was a shit idea.

Imagine if post 30-yr-old Shearer couldn't score a goal and was willing to play in midfield falling over collecting yellow cards and liked to put a blonde streak in his hair...... No need to imagine this because Alan Smith brings the sentence before this to life.

Ultimately the measure of a striker is how many goals he scores, and Smith's measure is there for all to see in that department.

Ultimately the measure of a striker is how many goals he scores, and Smith's measure is there for all to see in that department.

Well he played 228 times for leeds and scored 56 goals, so whats that? Just under 1 in 4 games....see not bad really but could be better!

Take serious injury and constantly being played out of position, no wonder he hasnt scored for us yet, but given time he will! Every one is entitled to there opinion but i stand by mine he is a good player and does not deserve the level of stick he gets on here!

Under 1 in 4 is dismal for a player who has spent several seasons for teams at the top end of the league.

Smith is a mediocre backup striker and an abomination in midfield. He doesn't know how to play there and had none of the attributes to do a good job. He should be on the bench as the lesser of our three current strikers and should be nowhere near the armband.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

...in a nutshell. If he was any good in any position at all he'd have nailed one down by now, for commitment alone. I would judge him as a striker, and the fact he doesn't get picked as on tells it's own story.

Well he played 228 times for leeds and scored 56 goals, so whats that? Just under 1 in 4 games....see not bad really but could be better!

Take serious injury and constantly being played out of position, no wonder he hasnt scored for us yet, but given time he will! Every one is entitled to there opinion but i stand by mine he is a good player and does not deserve the level of stick he gets on here!

Let’s see how far accepting mediocrity on an off the pitch gets us shall we ?

To be fair you've answered your own debate as to why he is regarded as shite. As I stated in another thread SAF has never released a good player to another premiership club, FACT.