Defoe told he can leave Spurs

Kid Dynamite

just as i thought. apart from a red hot season at bournemouth, not that impressive:

West Ham United (1999–2004)

93 games, 29 goals

Bournemouth (loan) (2000-2001)

29 games 18 goals

Tottenham Hotspur (2004–present)

136 games, 42 goals

A lot of those 136 games are for 10 or 20 mins as a sub though. And his stats still piss on most of our strikers

just as i thought. apart from a red hot season at bournemouth, not that impressive:

West Ham United (1999–2004)

93 games, 29 goals

Bournemouth (loan) (2000-2001)

29 games 18 goals

Tottenham Hotspur (2004–present)

136 games, 42 goals

He averages 0.34 goals per league game. Compare that with Martins who averages 0.31 goals per league game but them Martins had that spell at Inter when he bagged 28 goals in 48 games.

Contrast that with Craig Bellamy (who couldn't put a foot wrong to a lot of people) whos average is 0.33 per game.

A lot more to Bellamy's game tbf. The other two are primarily goalscorers.

Yeah I agree - I know scoring wasn't Bellamy's strong point but still, people often commented that the goals 'dried up' when he was allowed to leave.

Yeah I agree - I know scoring wasn't Bellamy's strong point but still, people often commented that the goals 'dried up' when he was allowed to leave.

but surely thats because he set up a lot of goals, either directly for a final pass or by his pulling a defender out of position for someone else?

Bellamy was part of a very quick forward line along with Robert and Dyer. You might remember they were often referred to as providing 'Shearer's legs'. One by one they have been sold off and now we are left wondering why we look so pedestrian.

Better than what weve got, martins poor of late, viduka is completely different and owen hasn't looked sharpish and may not return to his best if anywhere near that. Defoe is a decent goalscorer so id have him here anyday.

it's fucking typical that owen has the injury that could potentially mean he's never the same player again after he signs for us in a club record deal. not unlike shearer tbh. despite all the goals, shearer was never the same player was for us that he was for blackburn. before his injuries at blackburn he was the best striker in the world.

it's fucking typical that owen has the injury that could potentially mean he's never the same player again after he signs for us in a club record deal. not unlike shearer tbh. despite all the goals, shearer was never the same player was for us that he was for blackburn. before his injuries at blackburn he was the best striker in the world.

Better than Ronaldo? Other than that, you're right.

Romario. ;)

oooh - a tough call. for skills obviously not. in terms of his threat as an out and out goal scorer, possibly. he scored over 30 league goals three times in the premiership for blackburn. that's unheard of these days.

the shearer that had the legs to beat his man and work the chanels was the best english striker of his generation. shame he had to adapt his game after he signed for us because of all the injuries. owen will do well to adapt his game anywhere near as well if the injuries take their toil

i actually wonder whether capello will look at other options up front now. it's still early days but it doesn't look too promising for owen. i doubt he'll ever lose his finishing or his movement but you've got to wonder whether the knee injury will mean he has to radically change his game. he'd already lost a bit of pace before he signed for us but he seems pedestrian now.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Scored 30+ Premier League goals 3 years in a row! Sutton scored 20 -odd the year they won it just by both centre-halves marking Shearer (slight exaggeration but you know what I mean). Meanwhile Owen's problem is that he doesn't have Shearer's physical attributes, in particular his immense strength for his size (Shearer wasn't small by any means but he wasn't the biggest) so he can't adapt in anything like the same way. I also feel Capello might look at who else can play upfront for England as I don't think Owen is the best partner fro Rooney neccessarily and getting the most out of the latter is far more of a priority for England. Possibly well past his sell-by date by the next WC too.

romario isn't a bad shout actually. he was on top of his game during the same period as shearer (93-96), while ronaldo didn't emerge until a few years later.

here's a shearer stat. in three seasons, he scored 96 goals in 117 games for blackburn ;)

Well im supsrised spurs are letting him go, must only presume berbatov is going now where? Id certainly have defoe here, he is a natural finisher and i rate him alot, but do you honestly think we have the cash to buy him? 10-12 mil i reckon?? then were on about diarra 5-6 mil, then wes brown 4-5 mil??

For i think ashley needs to back BSA fully with that sort of money i just dont think he will......swings and roundabouts ;)

Slightly off topic but it's typical NUFC and extremely frustrating (same thing really) that Spurs signed Berbatov, who idolised Shearer ffs, the same close season that we got Overhitfirsttouch Martins, for the same fee.

Hindsight I know but still annoying.