Anyone else not worried?

Snake

I don't think Asley's getting a slating tbh. He's sacked a manager mid season with no replacement lined up. It's not great, but we're living with it. Hardly think Dan or I are laying it on with a trowel.

I'm a bit happier after reading this:

Guardian Take

Especially these bits:

In addition to Hughes, senior Newcastle United sources last night said that the CVs of several candidates are being scrutinised, including those of Gérard Houllier, Jose Mourinho and Steve McClaren.

A Newcastle source last night denied that Redknapp had ever been offered the post. "Harry Redknapp was never the only name in the frame," he said. "There is a presumption that he was first choice but there is a difference between a job interview and a job offer. We've spoken to more than one person and will be speaking to more people this week." The source added the club were "not narrowing it down to people from these shores".

If its true (big if) and they interview a number of people then thats a better approach than reeling from rejection to rejection until someone takes it (as per Souness).

I'd even forgive McLaren being considered if it meant getting Mourinho.

The only reason I'm not worried is because I'm pretty sure that things can't get much worse. They probably will now that I've said that.

Let's not forget is a top businessman.

He wouldn't have got to where he is today by not knowing what he's doing.

early days yet but apart from clearing the club's debt, ashley has done nowt so far to convince me that he will take the club any further than shepherd did.

Worrying when you consider what damaging effect Shepherd evidently had on the club. Amazing the stuff that's coming out now about him to be honest.

Ashley appears to be doing things above board. That in itself will take the club further.

i'm optimistic that a man worth almost £2bn will take us further than our cretinous former chairman. but the early signs aren't great are they? in fact, when you look at it, the manner in which the allardyce sacking has played out is shepherd-esque. there's the timing of the dismissal (slap bang in the middle of the transfer window), not having a replacement lined up, the courting of a second rate english manager and the resulting public rejection. the only thing missing as far as i can see is some moronic comments about the geordie nation...

Not saying either of you are, just think it's a bit premature to state that Ashley's not showing signs of taking the club forward.

For one, he's dug into his own pocket and paid off the debt. Now I know he's got a few more pennies in the bank than Shepherd but do you think he (an actual life-long fan of the club remember) would ever have done that? Even a small proportion??

The re-building of this club is going to be long-term. If people are wanting short-term return then they're going to be disappointed. It's evident to me that Ashley/Mort are trying to rebuild this club from the very bottom. Sure, they could have just thrown money and let us buy who the hell we could get our hands on but if the foundations are a pack of cards, the solid house above it will soon collapse.

And lets face it, a complete rebuild is what this club desperately needs.

Well either the club are backtracking over what happened with redknapp or he has managed the situation via the press to gain an improved deal from portsmouth - from what frank lampard senior said on thursday night he never had any inclination to join us - seems strange that it should be whipped up to a frenzy all day friday if that was the case

early days yet but apart from clearing the club's debt, ashley has done nowt so far to convince me that he will take the club any further than shepherd did.

Worrying when you consider what damaging effect Shepherd evidently had on the club. Amazing the stuff that's coming out now about him to be honest.

Ashley appears to be doing things above board. That in itself will take the club further.

i'm optimistic that a man worth almost £2bn will take us further than our cretinous former chairman. but the early signs aren't great are they? in fact, when you look at it, the manner in which the allardyce sacking has played out is shepherd-esque. there's the timing of the dismissal (slap bang in the middle of the transfer window), not having a replacement lined up, the courting of a second rate english manager and the resulting public rejection. the only thing missing as far as i can see is some moronic comments about the geordie nation...

I think they've fucked up, yes.... But i also think they're new to the game and naive. The thing about Shepherd is he did this kind of calamitous error time and time again.

I don't think for one minute, Ashley / Mort thought Redknapp would stay with Pompey. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he'd verbally agreed and then was talked out of it by Storrie / his missus.

If the ITKs (who usually are pretty spot on) are to be believed, Redknapp Jnr was already spouting how Harry was on his way to Newcastle.

I tell you what is missing if all that IS the case. We thankfully don't have a chairman who would take all this carry-on to the papers. Shepherd would have grumbled about how he'd been sold down the river. Mort has seemingly spun it and said it was only one of the candidates we were looking at...

Mort must be wondering what the fuck he's let himself in for.

Not when he'll be making an absolute mint out of it.

Well, there is that but I would imagine he was doing that, without the limelight, previously. He's probably on more money than ever before though.

so far he hasn't really spent the millions we all thought a billionaire owner would and he's got the first big decision he's had to make wrong imo. the timing of the sacking was odd, the fact that he didn't have someone lined up was poor and being publicly snubbed by redknapp was just embarrasing.

he needs to get a good manager in, back him and give him time. and he could do with spending more time in the posh seats and less with his toon top in the away end if you ask me. if he is prepared to do all of that then i'd say we are in good hands simply because of how much the man is worth but i expected a more professional approach tbh

I was mortified (fnarr) the first time I saw that and I agree 100% with Dan. Whether he wants to be a fan or not, he has to realise he cannot be a fan in that sense. It would be prejudicial to everyone's interests as we need his business head on and nowt else.

Hopefully that period will come to an end now as he's going to be forced to knuckle down on the managerial appointment. From that point on, everything at the club will have his hallmark (Jesus can't avoid the Chairman references we've had so many) and he'll be accountable for everything that happens, success or failure. Hopefully he's already seen that and has remembered that his business successes are associated with him wearing a suit.

He's standing with the fans at the odd away game because when he felt forced to at the Sunderland game he enjoyed it, and he wants to keep enjoying it.

I see nothing wrong with it.

Was he fuck forced. Fucking hell man. ;)

He's standing with the fans at the odd away game because when he felt forced to at the Sunderland game he enjoyed it, and he wants to keep enjoying it.

I see nothing wrong with it.

Was he fuck forced. Fucking hell man. ;)

I never said he was.

I would tend to agree that Redknapp has probably used the opportunity to seek a better deal with Portsmouth however, from the soundbites coming from the club, it does sound that all the eggs were in the one basket. The fact that Redknapp was approached only days after Allardyce getting the boot and the lack of any public knowledge of anyone interviewed since suggests to me that the club are backpedalling to make it look better for any further approaches.

Id like to think someone was in place by the weekend. All this take our time nonsense is no good when you are 6 points above the drop zone and looking no more likely to score a goal.

Perhaps the media have been caught out by them doing it "Properly" for once and just assumed that meeting = offer = job.

Just another angle - I suspect the cynical one is true though.