Hurricane Rita - Looks bad for Houston this time

Rob W

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye just got an email from a bloke in our Houston office to say that he's leaving today and he won't be contactable for the next week or so.  Fair enough like.

36816[/snapback]

Greggs has a branch in Houston?

Do you mean Houghton?

Understand from friends in houston today that there is panic buying of food, water, gunboats.......................

36814[/snapback]

I just glanced at it and thought it said "Gunboats" and to be fair i wouldn't be surprised to see them buying a load of gunboats to go on the rampage with!!!

Mind you, Houston isn't at the same risk as New Orleans is it? I mean it's not built below sea level underneath dykes holding back millions of gallons of water?

Could be a considerable over reaction here, but I guess you can't blame people.

Its built on the coastal plain and is about 3ft above sea level - plus there are areas which ARE below sea level as they leveed the rivers which are now above the houses.

The worst disater that ever hit the USA was when Galveston was hit by a hurricane - that was similar but is right on the beach - whole place literally dissapeared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston_Hur...900#Destruction

Its built on the coastal plain and is about 3ft above sea level - plus there are areas which ARE below sea level as they leveed the rivers which are now above the houses.

The worst disater that ever hit the USA was when Galveston was hit by a hurricane - that was similar but is right on the beach - whole place literally dissapeared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston_Hur...900#Destruction

36836[/snapback]

Ah well, maybe the message should be PANIC after all. :lol:

It looks distinctly likely that the increase in these powerful hurricanes is linked with the rise in temperature of the gulf of Mexico, which in turn is probably linked to the green house effect.

The thing is, if this is the case, these will happen with alarming regularity from now on, and its going to cost the US hundreds of lives and billions of dollars.

Surely this will encourage Bush to think of his energy policies, although in all likelihood it is probably too late for the next two generations. It would be flippant and unfair [on the people affected] to say you reap what you sow, but I hope he finally faces up to some environmental responsibilities.....

Bush has declared a state of emergency this time, more white middle class families to save than New Orleans. :lol:

I saw a bit on the news last night and it looks like the Texas coast is expected to be deeper underwater than New Orleans if the hurricane hits. Run for the hills!

received today...

"Dear Client,

Due to Hurricane Rita preparations, TMS ‘s Houston office will be closed Thursday, September 22, 2005 and Friday, September 23, 2005.

Telephone/e-mail Technical Support will not be available, but will resume as soon as possible when the office re-opens after the storm has passed.

In the interim, clients who need feature keys should e-mail support@sbcglobal.net.

Please visit our web site, www.seismicmicro.com, where we will be posting more information as the situation changes.

Regards,

The TMS Team

"

Lass at work is supposed to be going on holiday to the Gulf Coast tomorrow. Travel Company just rang her to say it should donwgrade to category 3 once it hits land but the chances of the plance landing are pretty much non-existence. So she aint going no more. Poor bugger, she was supposed to have her honeymoon in Thailand a cuople of days after the Tsunami struck. She's a bit of a jonah like.

Lass at work is supposed to be going on holiday to the Gulf Coast tomorrow. Travel Company just rang her to say it should donwgrade to category 3 once it hits land but the chances of the plance landing are pretty much non-existence. So she aint going no more. Poor bugger, she was supposed to have her honeymoon in Thailand a cuople of days after the Tsunami struck. She's a bit of a jonah like.

37195[/snapback]

Talk about bad luck.

US authorities said that more than 70% of oil production in the Gulf has been shut down.

The US space agency NASA has announced the closure of the Johnson Space Centre in Houston and has transferred control of the international space station to Russia. :lol:;);)

37195[/snapback]

Talk about bad luck.

37199[/snapback]

Could look at it the other way too. She's narrowly avoided 2 major catastrophes!

Even Souness can't beat all the positivity out of me.

37195[/snapback]

Talk about bad luck.

37199[/snapback]

Could look at it the other way too. She's narrowly avoided 2 major catastrophes!

Even Souness can't beat all the positivity out of me.

37256[/snapback]

True I suppose, she could have been involved in the Tsunami, imagine that!

The US space agency NASA has announced the closure of the Johnson Space Centre in Houston and has transferred control of the international space station to Russia.  :lol:  ;)  ;)

37221[/snapback]

If ever you needed a sign of how times change... ;)