Australia

WubbleUC

Right, about 3 years ago I was supposed to be going over, but before I got a chance to book it, the mate I was meeting skinted himself and had to come home. I put the whole thing on hold in the hope that a few of us could go over, just to have some mates to share the experience with etc..

I can do that now! Couple of the lads off around the world in June, for 6 months. They're stopping for 2 months in Aussie land in September & October, so I'm ganna join them for the 2nd month.

I know a few of you lot have been over, and I know a few of you off here live there. I also know this is a shit question because everyone's different and all that, but I'm asking it anyway, so please bear with me try and help of you can, ta. :)

As I say, I'm going for a month. All I'm booking before I go is my return flight and a room wherever I land for the first few nights, just to sort my fucking head out after the gargantuan flight. After that, I'll be joining the other two in hostels and cheap hotels. Whatever money I have on me will be paying for that, and the rest of the stuff I do. I'd expect that'll include some sightseeing and all that, as well as all the usual (beer, scran & transport!)

I'll be sicking to the east by the way, with the possible exception of Ayers Rock. That's mainly because I'm hoping this will be the first of a few trips there, so although I'd like to fill my boots, I can hold back on going absolutely mental and trying to 'do it all' if I need to.

Basically, all I want to know is, based on the above, how much money should I be looking at taking, just to be fairly comfortable, not scrimping and wallet watching all the time?

Any other tips or hints etc are welcome.

TIA Blokes & Sheilas! :lol:

September & October perfect, that puts you here just in time for Oktoberfest!

Wubble I'll let others give you the things to do info because chances are they have a better tourist perspective but I can help you with a couple of things.

If you don't have more than a couple of weeks, don't do the japanese tourist thing and rush out to Ayres Rock, Uluru.

If you've got three or four days to spare, fly to Alice Springs and then drive to Uluru and then fly out from there. It is one of the most amazing places you'll ever see but you have to look at it and the things around it. It's about 450km in distance but there are places either side that are worth exploring.

You say you are sticking to the east coast, well the east coast of Australia is over 3000km long. Sydney to Cairns, the Great Barrier reef is about 35 hours driving time, so you'll need to fly if you want to get places.

Byron Bay is 9 hours driving, Brisbane 12, Melbourne 9, Adelaide 16, just to give you some perspective.

Which is something you should address when you buy your ticket to Australia. Try and get whoever you are buying it from to include a number of domestic flights in the deal, or have a bit of a plan with your mates and buy some tickets now while they are cheap, even mystery flights are ok as you'll be able to find a backpackers hostel in any and every city. If you wait until you get here it will cost you a lot more and that's if you can get tickets.

As for how much? Mate if you stay in backpackers, the best place as that's were all the swedish girls stay!!! and are happy with decent but not over the top places to eat you can probably survive reasonably on $50 - $100 australian a day, $1Aus is about 40p. You will also need to drink the local for that sort of money. You could do it cheaper or much more expensive, it's up to you and what you are willing to put up with. A dorm in a hostel is cheapest but you might find it difficult to talk the gorgeous pair of german girls into going two up on you on a bunk bed!!!

The more you organise before you get here, the cheaper it is. And remember Sydney is just like any other large city, it's more expensive than the rest of the country.

That time of year is best to watch the football anarl, so when you're in town let us know and we'll find a beer or ten for you to drink.

Edited by sammynb

Or he could save his cash and fly to Munich instead. :lol:

By the way Martin, do you want to tell him about Oxford St or shall we let Gemmill do it?

Not helpfully answering your question at all, but my neice is over there now and having the time of her life. She went with an organised thing, where, before you fly, you meet people from your area who are going too. My neice was going for 6 months but extended it to a year, she'll be back in June. She travels around and stays in youth hostels (which look positively luxurious compared to ours) She works in cafes/bars etc to keep her funds going. She has surfed, partied, had Xmas day on the beach, aquired her diving licence, New Years eve out on a boat in Sydney harbour and was lucky enough to be on a boat trip when a group? of Whales swam alongside them and even under the boat! Apart from feeling occassionally homesick, she's really enjoying the experience.

Good time to go to Queensland Luke - i.e. the weather should be warm/hot but it'll still be the dry season (up north). Also it's a great time to go whale-watching as the humpbacked whales are migrating at that time. Hervey Bay is a class place to see them (next to Fraser Island north of Brisbane). Highly recommended.

she's really enjoying the experience.

Yep an Aussie boy will do that for a girl :lol:

Ere!! Hands of my little neice :)

I'm hoping she doesnt fall for an Aussie boy and stay there...........cos you all know I won't fly out there :)

Wubble I'll let others give you the things to do info because chances are they have a better tourist perspective but I can help you with a couple of things.

If you don't have more than a couple of weeks, don't do the japanese tourist thing and rush out to Ayres Rock, Uluru.

If you've got three or four days to spare, fly to Alice Springs and then drive to Uluru and then fly out from there. It is one of the most amazing places you'll ever see but you have to look at it and the things around it. It's about 450km in distance but there are places either side that are worth exploring.

You say you are sticking to the east coast, well the east coast of Australia is over 3000km long. Sydney to Cairns, the Great Barrier reef is about 35 hours driving time, so you'll need to fly if you want to get places.

Byron Bay is 9 hours driving, Brisbane 12, Melbourne 9, Adelaide 16, just to give you some perspective.

Which is something you should address when you buy your ticket to Australia. Try and get whoever you are buying it from to include a number of domestic flights in the deal, or have a bit of a plan with your mates and buy some tickets now while they are cheap, even mystery flights are ok as you'll be able to find a backpackers hostel in any and every city. If you wait until you get here it will cost you a lot more and that's if you can get tickets.

As for how much? Mate if you stay in backpackers, the best place as that's were all the swedish girls stay!!! and are happy with decent but not over the top places to eat you can probably survive reasonably on $50 - $100 australian a day, $1Aus is about 40p. You will also need to drink the local for that sort of money. You could do it cheaper or much more expensive, it's up to you and what you are willing to put up with. A dorm in a hostel is cheapest but you might find it difficult to talk the gorgeous pair of german girls into going two up on you on a bunk bed!!!

The more you organise before you get here, the cheaper it is. And remember Sydney is just like any other large city, it's more expensive than the rest of the country.

That time of year is best to watch the football anarl, so when you're in town let us know and we'll find a beer or ten for you to drink.

That's excellent Sammy, thanks very much. I'll be sure to let you know when we're around! I'll probably have more questions for you eventually mind. :hiya:

Cheers for the heads up on the Whales too, Alex. Sounds class.