Owen sets goal target

Guest Sima

from SkySports

Michael Owen has set himself a 20 goal target as he looks to help Newcastle up The Premiership table.

The England hit-man has never scored 20 league goals but is confident he could deliver such a tally in the North East.

Owen got off the mark last weekend in Newcastle's 3-0 win over Blackburn and having broken his duck, is hoping to live up to the goalscoring standards he set at Liverpool.

''As a top striker you have to be getting 15 to 20 goals a season,'' said Owen.

''I am sure with the players that we have got at Newcastle that it is possible and I will be doing all I can to make sure I get those goals.

''My job is scoring and I will always be measured by that, which is absolutely right.

''I won't be happy with myself if I don't score regularly. It is a team game but it is also up to individuals to do their part and I am determined to do my bit to get the club back up the league.''

20 league goals is a big ask for someone who is not the player he once was who has never achieved it

Edited by Sima

from SkySports

Michael Owen has set himself a 20 goal target as he looks to help Newcastle up The Premiership table.

The England hit-man has never scored 20 league goals but is confident he could deliver such a tally in the North East.

Owen got off the mark last weekend in Newcastle's 3-0 win over Blackburn and having broken his duck, is hoping to live up to the goalscoring standards he set at Liverpool.

''As a top striker you have to be getting 15 to 20 goals a season,'' said Owen.

''I am sure with the players that we have got at Newcastle that it is possible and I will be doing all I can to make sure I get those goals.

''My job is scoring and I will always be measured by that, which is absolutely right.

''I won't be happy with myself if I don't score regularly. It is a team game but it is also up to individuals to do their part and I am determined to do my bit to get the club back up the league.''

20 league goals is a big ask for someone who is not the player he once was who has never achieved it

38387[/snapback]

That's the spirit!

Sima: Micheal, you're 25 now and I dont think you are as good as you used to be. You've never scored 20 goals in a season, why do you bother?

:lol:

He isn't the player he was tbh. Not as fast as he used to be...

38468[/snapback]

Speed isn't everything though is it? He's a much more complete player after only a season at RM. His work outside the box is better and he is a more intelligent player. It might not be as fast as he was when he was 19, but then most people aren't. The difference is, he doesn't rely upon it for his game, so losing a bit of speed has not hindered him. His strengths have changed and like any top class player, he has changed his game to suit. Why do you think Shearer is still in the top flight?

Hells b****cks man, would you have prefered it if we had not signed him? Look beyond what was one of his original strengths, he has!

Edited by maggiespaws

he could have got 4 yesterday with any luck - I was amazed at his ability to time his runs into space...................

38517[/snapback]

Me too. He was a class above in terms of his timing and positioning, very clever. Once the rest of the team get tuned in to his wavelength he'll be a goal machine.

He's at the very least as good as he was as an all round player and still scores more goals than most people out there.

He's more than fast enough and his timing and intelligencce of movement is as good as any player out there. He's also a good player technically and has more than enough control, skill and the like.

Don't agree with the above comment about Bellamy though, he will never have Owens finishing ability, few do, but he is an intelligent player in terms of movement and runs and if he was caught of offside it wasn't any more so than other strikers and half the time it was ludicrous linesman decisions as they couldn't see how fast he was and that he wasn't offside at all.

38468[/snapback]

Sima.

Do you ever do or say anything positive?

38469[/snapback]

Yes when it warrants it tbh.

38468[/snapback]

Sima.

38469[/snapback]

38673[/snapback]

But do you find it easier to see negative things than positive things?

You know, generally?

38468[/snapback]

Sima.

38469[/snapback]

38673[/snapback]

But do you find it easier to see negative things than positive things?

You know, generally?

38938[/snapback]

He's just your typical dour Scot tbh ;)

The reason Owen has never scored 20 league goals in a season is becaise he spends a lot of time out injured. His goals to game ratio is superb. Unfortunately, his injuries are unlikely to stop here.

Still, I think he is a brilliant player, I keep pinching myself that he is here. Souness is one lucky bastard! ;)

So with Owen looking to get between 15 and 20 goals, and 20 goal a season man Ameobi waiting to take over from Shearer, we're set ;)

38961[/snapback]

I feel for Ameobi, its not his fault he's not a football player any more than its my fault I'm not.

However, he obviously is not the heir apparent for Shearer, and I don't think Owen is really the primary striker type either. I think to be successful we're going to have to fork out a lot more money come next summer, but I'm not sure we can afford it.