The Greatest Europen Player You've Seen?

Tooj

I saw Henry for Arsenal against Leeds at Elland Road a few years back and he was just immense. Every time he got the ball he looked like he was going to score, the Leeds defenders were running round in circles and falling over themselves trying to stop him.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`d say Dalglish or Mattheus or Zidane are the best I`ve seen.

Dalglish was a class footballer no one disputes that, but the other two, who I have put first and second, were the leading men and fundamental reasons their countries won World Cups. No disrespect to anyone on this thread, but some of the names that have been mentioned in front of Zidane and Matthaus, are utterly staggering. Maybe a lot of people are put off by the fact Zidane is so recent, but it would be interesting to know if Baggio rates himself as being better than Zidane. As for Matthaus, still playing for Germany at 40, adn still tehir best player, albeit in a shit side. Zidane lit the 1998 World Cup Final up, and Matthaus was simply unplayable for the majority of the 1990 World Cup, a 5-1 against Yugoslavia stands out. True proven World class and World Cup winners.

Baggio pretty much carried Italy to the final of the '94 World Cup though.

I'd say the same for Mattheus in 1990 tbh. The West Germany side was not as good as everyone made it out to be but the difference over the whole tournament was Mattheus for me...

Dalglish was a class footballer no one disputes that, but the other two, who I have put first and second, were the leading men and fundamental reasons their countries won World Cups. No disrespect to anyone on this thread, but some of the names that have been mentioned in front of Zidane and Matthaus, are utterly staggering. Maybe a lot of people are put off by the fact Zidane is so recent, but it would be interesting to know if Baggio rates himself as being better than Zidane. As for Matthaus, still playing for Germany at 40, adn still tehir best player, albeit in a shit side. Zidane lit the 1998 World Cup Final up, and Matthaus was simply unplayable for the majority of the 1990 World Cup, a 5-1 against Yugoslavia stands out. True proven World class and World Cup winners.

I'd say the same for Mattheus in 1990 tbh. The West Germany side was not as good as everyone made it out to be but the difference over the whole tournament was Mattheus for me...

Still couldn't catch Gazza though could he. :D

ferenc puskas - creator of the split striker role and a footballing genius.

zinedine zidane - the artist

gerd muller - best finisher ever

Johan cruyff - could play anywhere and well as well!

paolo maldini - full back or centre back, the best i've ever seen

franco baresi - the libero

dejan savicevic - playing in the hole or down the left i've not seen many better. best dribbler i've seen.

You must be getting on a bit in years like me if you've seen Puskas play.

And if you are and if you have then you must have seen di Stefano who I consider the best olayer I have ever seen.

Matthäus is in everybody's thought because he gave the team a confident start with his great performances, especially against Yugoslavia. Though, later in the tournament it was much more down to other players like Guido Buchwald who played the best football of his life. Looking at the squad I Germany had the best set of players of all teams.

Matthäus is in everybody's thought because he gave the team a confident start with his great performances, especially against Yugoslavia. Though, later in the tournament it was much more down to other players like Guido Buchwald who played the best football of his life. Looking at the squad I Germany had the best set of players of all teams.

Kohler's one of the best central defenders I've ever seen fwiw. Brehme was a great player too. Hassler was quality too and Klinsman was probably at his peak.

Kohler's one of the best central defenders I've ever seen fwiw. Brehme was a great player too. Hassler was quality too and Klinsman was probably at his peak.

I wasn't a big fan of Klinsmann before, but his performance against Holland was just outstanding and totally changed my opinion. I agree about Kohler, I struggle to think of a better player in this position. In 1990 even squad players like Littbarski, Bein, Riedle, Thon were of international class. A total difference to the next generation of players who were mostly just average.

• 3 years later...

Just stumbled across this video. :lol:

Quality. Not a single high kicking step over in sight, just pure balance, perfect weight distribution, body swerve and immaculate feet.

Someone tried a pointless step-over in the Tottenham/Arsenal game the other day and I was just left thinking....you're a professional footballer? Didn't fool the defender and the ball was never truly under control. We sacrifice a lot in the Prem for pace.

I'm about 4 minutes into that Cruyff video.

The goal on about 1 minute is incredible, the 1 touch to control/flick it over the defender and finish are amazing. There's a lot of fancy dribbling though with a poor cross/finish at the end of it though!

There's a lot of fancy dribbling though with a poor cross/finish at the end of it though!

No end product, you would think his first name is Jonas and not Johan. :lol:

On topic; in terms of pure ability it has to be Zidane or Matthäus. Luis Figo was fantastic for a couple of years too.

Cruyff and Beckenbauer. Hands down.

By the way, if Best had been German or Brazilian he'd have been up there in the top three of all time.

Nah he gets that sort of bigging up anyway because he played for Man U. In fact he sometimes gets called 'the best player of all time' by serious journalists specifically because he played for them, which is obvious nonsense.

I was never a manu fan and I'd like to agree with you but Best was head and shoulders above anybody playing at that time.

Except Tony Green, of course, although he was a bit later.

The thing is and I know it's cliched, but it's cliched for a good reason, you've got Pele and Maradona who were the two best players in the history of the game and they are on their own altogether. Below that you've then got a number of players who could lay claim to be third best (or 'in the top three'), however the reality is that third place is a level down from the other two mentioned. I think it's often casually said because in sport you've traditionally got the gold/silver/bronze places (not football I grant you) so you look for a top three, but it's a misnomer in a sense because it'd be wrong to lump the third place player in with Pele and Maradona. They were simply better and the third placed man only ends up on the same podium as them because you're looking for an arbitrary number.

Everything I've heard/seen about Tony Green makes me wish I'd been lucky enough to have just seen one of the few matches he'd played for us.