Entering the USA

ewerk

As I said it's in Manchester so don't know any solicitors and don't have time to fuck around with one they've appointed.

Though if Mancy is at a loose end in the morning he can feel free to come down and go Shatner on their asses.

;)

holy crap that's a lot of faith to have in... not a lot.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told that I'll be finger printed, do they take DNA automatically now or is it only if you're charged with something?

Can't you demand a duty solicitor is present btw? Not sure like. I'd pm manc-mag.

If you're not currently on bail already and they are just trying to get you to come in voluntarily then I'd simply try and arrange the appointment for after you've returned from the States. If the interview was not going to resolve things instantly (ie your word against their's) then you'd almost certainly end up on bail for the meantime and so if you can postpone that situation with the US coming up then it'd be better to do that.

Usually the polis are fine and will work around you if you keep them in the loop as they're used to dealing with little twats who constantly skip bail so hopefully you shouldn't have any problems. This is assuming you do have a fair minded and reasonable plod allocated to the case mind. Speaking of which, where do you live at the moment? I only ask as if you're local and you've already mentioned the America trip, you don't want a knock on the Friday morning with them suddenly trying to arrest you then. It's very, very unlikely but not entirely unheard of if you've drawn the short straw and got a vindictive plod with too much time on their hands handling things.

If/when you do end up going though make absolutely sure you take a solicitor, mate. Do it by appointment with any local firm. I can recommend if you want.

What station is it by the way? Longsight?

Though if Mancy is at a loose end in the morning he can feel free to come down and go Shatner on their asses.

You do want to get off with this right?

Kiss my legal plums!

If you're not currently on bail already and they are just trying to get you to come in voluntarily then I'd simply try and arrange the appointment for after you've returned from the States. If the interview was not going to resolve things instantly (ie your word against their's) then you'd almost certainly end up on bail for the meantime and so if you can postpone that situation with the US coming up then it'd be better to do that.

Usually the polis are fine and will work around you if you keep them in the loop as they're used to dealing with little twats who constantly skip bail so hopefully you shouldn't have any problems. This is assuming you do have a fair minded and reasonable plod allocated to the case mind. Speaking of which, where do you live at the moment? I only ask as if you're local and you've already mentioned the America trip, you don't want a knock on the Friday morning with them suddenly trying to arrest you then. It's very, very unlikely but not entirely unheard of if you've drawn the short straw and got a vindictive plod with too much time on their hands handling things.

If/when you do end up going though make absolutely sure you take a solicitor, mate. Do it by appointment with any local firm. I can recommend if you want.

Makes me laugh people are happy to go to room 101 without a brief....

No laughing matter really tbh. Perfectly understandable though if a person hasn't done anything wrong and hasn't had any previous experience of police investigation.

"baseless accusations" eh?

I'd still take a lawyer

I'm not even sure they HAVE to arrest you to question you under caution

And for Gods sake don't tell them you are leaving the country - they'll have an application in to remove your passport in no time

Juyst cal them up and say you will want legal representation just in case and that will take time to arrange........

I'd still take a lawyer

And for Gods sake don't tell them you are leaving the country - they'll have an application in to remove your passport in no time

Juyst cal them up and say you will want legal representation just in case and that will take time to arrange........

In a nutshell.

And then scarper.... ;)

I'd still take a lawyer

So basically, even though someone in the legal profession has given a definitive answer and you are not really sure what you're on about, you thought you'd answer anyway? I'm amazed. ;)

Edited by alex

I'd still take a lawyer

The obligation of a duty solicitor to be available to a suspect as of right within circa 30 mins renders that one a bit toothless tbh.

I'd just recommend he says he is happy to come in to assist but say the earliest time he is able to do that due to pre-existing committments is x (date after he returns from USA). The police are used to dealing with flighty, unreliable, dishonest people as a rule, so if you present as reasonable and co-operative they usually dont have problems with arranging a mutually convenient time for interview.

"The police are used to dealing with flighty, unreliable, dishonest people as a rule"

aye- they sit opposite them in the canteen every day I guess............

So basically, even though someone in the legal profession has given a definitive answer and you are not really sure what you're on about, you thought you'd answer anyway? I'm amazed. :icon_lol:

You don't think Rob actually reads the threads do you? ;)

still don't know who the Legal Eagle is on here...............

So basically, even though someone in the legal profession has given a definitive answer and you are not really sure what you're on about, you thought you'd answer anyway? I'm amazed. :icon_lol:

manc mag.

manc mag.

Not in this thread, but Jill (Alreetlike) too iirc.

If they are going to arrest you and not just informally interview you, then frankly you're fucking mad not to go with the very best solicitor you can find/afford.

Even if they do genuinely sympathise with you (and it's not just the usual act), they'll still have you if they can, and if you don't know what you're doing and have no one to advise you that "can" becomes a lot more likely.

"The police are used to dealing with flighty, unreliable, dishonest people as a rule"

aye- they sit opposite them in the canteen every day I guess............

Yup the difference between your average plod and your average scumbag is basically a uniform. Trusting either is insane.

Speaking as someone who has had experience of the police as a criminal defence solicitor, I can categroically say they are not as bad as the average scumbag.

Like any other area of life, there's a few bad apples.

Speaking as someone who has had experience of the police as a criminal defence solicitor, I can categroically say they are not as bad as the average scumbag.

They as aren't likely to directly mug you, no. ;)

But say quietly and quite illegally talk to you in a cell to convince you to talk without a solicitor so they can hopefully get an nice positive on their record, oh yes.

The police officer that would turn down the chance of a conviction even if they were absolutely certain you were in fact innocent is few and far between (perhaps non-existent in fact).

I'll make the cheap shot that a scum bag can't fit you up so you spend 20 years in custody for sommat you didn't do...................

But I sympathise with them - they are put under a lot of pressure by the press & politicians - and the Great British Public