Top 100 Films

Guest alex

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

horrible horrible list.

There are some staggering omissions but there are always going to be when they do a list like this that is taken from a public vote. I've never seen a single one (Empire, Channel 4 etc) that have covered anywhere near all of the bases. IMDB's comes closer but they had to do a top 250 to do that and even then there are some travesties in there. Hell even the 1001 Movies You Must See Before Die book misses some of my absolute favourite films (12 Monkeys, Millers Crossing).

At the end of the day there aren't many films in there that shite (ET and Picnic At Hanging Rock being the only two I can think of and even then I acknowlege that to many other people they are great films). Point Break is the only one I don't understand at all, a lot of people really like it (me included) but I've never heard anyone rank it up with the greatest films ever. Perhaps it's a typo and it should be Point Blank?

It wasn't a public vote. It was a dreamed up by the Times' critics in order to drum up debate....

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle3795569.ece

You may be suffering from list exhaustion. There are so many about, and especially on film. But this one is different. Yes, of course we’d say that. But having read endless Top 100 film lists, we felt short-changed. Sure, they’re definitive in their way, but they don’t have many surprises. This one aims to be all-encompassing, certainly, and authoritative. But it is also intended to cause debate and maybe consternation.

None of us — myself, my fellow critics at The Times and my editor Tim Teeman — realised how contentious this list would be to compile. We didn’t want simply to rearrange the furniture as other lists do. Nor to kow-tow to monolithic critical masterpieces routinely crowned year on year.

There are some spectacular casualties. Citizen Kane (1941) failed to cut the mustard. The genius of Orson Welles was not to be denied. But it was felt that his sour and seedy thriller Touch of Evil (1958) was not only equally audacious in terms of pure film-making, but also had greater resonance than Kane.

Some omissions are too painful to talk about: Groundhog Day, The Servant, The Lives of Others, Psycho, The English Patient. (All my choices naturally.) Tastes vary dramatically, and you would be amazed how few critics will fall on their swords when it comes to such a fraught subject. That said, the list looks far fresher and younger than any of us dared hope. The number of recent releases vying for places near the summit is a surprise. I shall be horrified if anyone agrees with every one of our choices. The point of The Times Top 100 Films of All Time is to stimulate argument, and sharpen your own thoughts about the ingredients that make great movies.

It wasn't a public vote. It was a dreamed up by the Times' critics in order to drum up debate....

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle3795569.ece

You may be suffering from list exhaustion. There are so many about, and especially on film. But this one is different. Yes, of course we’d say that. But having read endless Top 100 film lists, we felt short-changed. Sure, they’re definitive in their way, but they don’t have many surprises. This one aims to be all-encompassing, certainly, and authoritative. But it is also intended to cause debate and maybe consternation.

None of us — myself, my fellow critics at The Times and my editor Tim Teeman — realised how contentious this list would be to compile. We didn’t want simply to rearrange the furniture as other lists do. Nor to kow-tow to monolithic critical masterpieces routinely crowned year on year.

There are some spectacular casualties. Citizen Kane (1941) failed to cut the mustard. The genius of Orson Welles was not to be denied. But it was felt that his sour and seedy thriller Touch of Evil (1958) was not only equally audacious in terms of pure film-making, but also had greater resonance than Kane.

Some omissions are too painful to talk about: Groundhog Day, The Servant, The Lives of Others, Psycho, The English Patient. (All my choices naturally.) Tastes vary dramatically, and you would be amazed how few critics will fall on their swords when it comes to such a fraught subject. That said, the list looks far fresher and younger than any of us dared hope. The number of recent releases vying for places near the summit is a surprise. I shall be horrified if anyone agrees with every one of our choices. The point of The Times Top 100 Films of All Time is to stimulate argument, and sharpen your own thoughts about the ingredients that make great movies.

My mistake, in that case SloopJohn is right, it is an awfull list :nufc:

But it is a list that will stimulate more debate than one that just included all of the classics. And it certainly makes Point Break a more understanable choice. I would have liked to have seen more like that though as this now feels like they have just thrown a couple in to try and make their point rather than make a personal top 100 which for most people would naturally include personal favourites.

Are my eyes deceiving me? Where are the Star Wars movies??

The Empire Strikes Back is there. I quite like them but they're really overrated imo.

Are my eyes deceiving me? Where are the Star Wars movies??

The Empire Strikes Back is there. I quite like them but they're really overrated imo.

Star Wars is my fav film of all time.

That list sucks balls ! :rolleyes:

It does. Although given your taste, I'm not sure you're qualified to comment :nufc:

It's a good laugh like. Just a really good kids film in my eyes though.

I'd probably stick 'When We Were Kings' and 'For All Mankind' in there as my documentary choices.

The Sorrow and the Pity?

Never seen it.

Want to.

By the way, is every paper doing this at the moment? Why?

The Telegraph Independent is far more exhaustive about it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml...bestfilms18.xml

Top 100 500 by genre

EDIT: could I have got more wrong in that post.

Edited by Happy Face

Haven't seen it either. The Thin Blue Line on that list sounds interesting too. I actually thought The Times had already done this quite recently but it might have been The Guardian / Film 4 or something like that. You could do with a list that incorporated a few of them - The BFI / AFI, Imdb etc.

From that Telegraph list, in the thriller section...

3. Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)

Woody Allen and Diane Keaton, reunited for the first time since Annie Hall, suspect foul play when their neighbour dies, but Keaton sees her on a bus a week later. Alan Alda and Anjelica Huston help solve the puzzle. Tense as well as funny.

Pleased with that. It's a fantastic film that gets overlooked in these lists as the Allen choice is always Manhattan or Annie Hall.

From that Telegraph list, in the thriller section...

3. Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)

Woody Allen and Diane Keaton, reunited for the first time since Annie Hall, suspect foul play when their neighbour dies, but Keaton sees her on a bus a week later. Alan Alda and Anjelica Huston help solve the puzzle. Tense as well as funny.

Pleased with that. It's a fantastic film that gets overlooked in these lists as the Allen choice is always Manhattan or Annie Hall.

Probably my favourite Allen film that (not that I've seen loads admittedly)

• 1 month later...
The Wizard of Oz and The Godfather have shared top billing in a best films list by the American Film Institute.

The AFI put together top 10 lists of films in 10 genres, including sci-fi, gangster, animation and Westerns.

Other winners included Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Lawrence of Arabia, To Kill A Mockingbird and Vertigo.

The AFI promotes US film education and heritage. Its president, Bob Gazzale, said the list helped to keep films in the cultural consciousness.

To Kill a Mockingbird topped the courtroom drama list, while 2001: A Space Odyssey was named best sci-fi.

The 1956 film The Searchers - starring John Wayne - was named best Western, and Raging Bull beat Rocky to take the best sports film title.

The Wizard of Oz beat The Lord of the Rings in the fantasy category

Alfred Hitchcock dominated the mystery category, topping the list with Vertigo, but also making the top 10 with Rear Window at three, North By Northwest at seven, and Dial M for Murder at nine.

Chaplin's City Lights from 1931, one of only two silent films to make the genre lists, beat popular modern romances such as Annie Hall, When Harry Met Sally... and Sleepless in Seattle.

"This is why these lists are so important. They keep these films in the cultural conversation," said Bob Gazzale, AFI president.

"When City Lights is honoured as the number one romantic comedy, millions of people will go back and watch it again."

The winners were chosen by actors, film-makers, critics and others in Hollywood from ballots that included 50 nominees in each genre.

ANIMATION

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

2. Pinocchio (1940)

3. Bambi (1942)

4. The Lion King (1994)

5. Fantasia (1940)

6. Toy Story (1995)

7. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

8. Shrek (2001)

9. Cinderella (1950)

10. Finding Nemo (2003)

FANTASY

1. The Wizard of Oz (1939)

2. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

3. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

4. King Kong (1933)

5. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

6. Field of Dreams (1989)

7. Harvey (1950)

8. Groundhog Day (1993)

9. The Thief of Bagdad (1924)

10. Big (1988)

GANGSTER

1. The Godfather (1972)

2. Goodfellas (1990)

3. The Godfather Part II (1974)

4. White Heat (1949)

5. Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

6. Scarface: The Shame of a Nation (1932)

7. Pulp Fiction (1994)

8. The Public Enemy (1931)

9. Little Caesar (1930)

10. Scarface (1983)

SCIENCE FICTION

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

2. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

3. ET the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

4. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

5. The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

6. Blade Runner (1982)

7. Alien (1979)

8. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

10. Back to the Future (1985)

WESTERN

1. The Searchers (1956)

2. High Noon (1952)

3. Shane (1953)

4. Unforgiven (1992)

5. Red River (1948)

6. The Wild Bunch (1969)

7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

8. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)

9. Stagecoach (1939)

10. Cat Ballou (1965)

SPORTS

1. Raging Bull (1980)

2. Rocky (1976)

3. The Pride of the Yankees (1942)

4. Hoosiers (1986)

5. Bull Durham (1988)

6. The Hustler (1961)

7. Caddyshack (1980)

8. Breaking Away (1979)

9. National Velvet (1944)

10. Jerry Maguire (1996)

MYSTERY

1. Vertigo (1958)

2. Chinatown (1974)

3. Rear Window (1954)

4. Laura (1944)

5. The Third Man (1949)

6. The Maltese Falcon (1941)

7. North By Northwest (1959)

8. Blue Velvet (1986)

9. Dial M for Murder (1954)

10. The Usual Suspects (1995)

ROMANTIC COMEDY

1. City Lights (1931)

2. Annie Hall (1977)

3. It Happened One Night (1934)

4. Roman Holiday (1953)

5. The Philadelphia Story (1940)

6. When Harry Met Sally... (1989)

7. Adam's Rib (1949)

8. Moonstruck (1987)

9. Harold and Maude (1971)

10. Sleepless in Seattle (1993)

COURTROOM DRAMA

1. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

2. 12 Angry Men (1957)

3. Kramer vs Kramer (1979)

4. The Verdict (1982)

5. A Few Good Men (1992)

6. Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

7. Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

8. In Cold Blood (1967)

9. A Cry in the Dark (1988)

10. Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)

EPIC

1. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

2. Ben-Hur (1959)

3. Schindler's List (1993)

4. Gone With the Wind (1939)

5. Spartacus (1960)

6. Titanic (1997)

7. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

8. Saving Private Ryan (1998)

9. Reds (1981)

10. The Ten Commandments (1956)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7461953.stm#list

Edited by Happy Face

I'm sorry, but no. Point Break? what the fuck???

Here's the films I say no to and what I would put in their place. I leave the ones I haven't seen or agree should be in there be.

Top 100 films - the full list:

100 - Jurassic Park - Rocky

99 - La Belle et la Bete

98 - My Fair Lady

97 - Point Break - Raiders of the Lost Ark

96 - Lost in Translation - Clerks

95 - Grand Hotel

94 - La Haine

93 - Cool Hand Luke

92 - A bout de soffle

91 - Short Cuts

90 - Trainspotting

89 - A Touch of Evil

88 - Wild Strawberries

87 - Silence of the Lambs - Lawrence of Arabia

86 - Nosferatu

85 - Dog Day Afternoon

84 - Festen

83 - Spartacus

82 - Chungking Express

81 - North by Northwest

80 - Tokyo Story

79 - Deliverance

78 - The Lady Eve

77 - Pather Panchali

76 - From Here To Eternity

75 - The Good, The Bad the Ugly

74 - Rosemary’s Baby

73 - Great Expectations

72 - Days of Heaven

71 - This Is Spinal Tap

70 - The Conversation

69 - Hidden (Cache)

68 - The Maltese Falcon

67 - The Piano - Life of Brian

66 - Toy Story

65 - The Thin Blue Line

64 - Do The Right Thing -Godfather Part II

63 - On The Waterfront

62 - Taxi Driver

61 - Rashomon

60 - The Crying Game - Shawshank Redemption

59 - Pulp Fiction

58 - Dr Zhivago

57 - Raging Bull

56 - Whisky Galore

55 - The Matrix Star Wars: A New Hope

54 - Roman Holiday

53 - Mildred Pierce

52 - La Dolce Vita

51 - Cabaret - Psycho

50 - Blade Runner - Akira

49 - High Society

48 - Shoah

47 - Fargo - Big Lebowski

46 - All About Eve

45 - The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

44 - A Streetcar Named Desire

43 - Terminator 2: Judgement Day -The Terminator

42 - Blue Velvet

41 - A Star Is Born

40 - The Life of Brian - Holy Grail (fuck you, it's better.)

39 - The Graduate

38 - Rear Window

37 - Beau Travail

36 - Jaws

35 - Withnail and I

34 - The Man Who Shot Libert Valance

33 - One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

32 - The Empire Strikes Back

31 - His Girl Friday

30 - Rebel Without a Cause

29 - Duck Soup

28 - Gone With The Wind

27 - A Clockwork Orange

26 - Goodfellas

25 - Picnic at Hanging Rock

24 - The Philadelphia Story

23 - Some Like It Hot

22 - The Breakfast Club - Are you lot on crack? Airplane!

21 - The Towering Inferno

20 - The Wizard of Oz

19 - The Exorcist - Ringu

18 - Don’t Look Now

17 - Annie Hall

16 - Metropolis

15 - Apocalypse Now

14 - Jungle Book - Lion King

13 - 2001

12 - Alien

11 - The Sound of Music - It's a Wonderful Life

10 - The Godfather

9 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Get Carter

8 - Sunset Boulevard

7 - Kes

6 - Vertigo

5 - The Shining

4 - Chinatown

3 - ET

2 - There Will Be Blood - only because it's way too recent. Give it two years and it will mostly be forgotten.

1 - Casablanca

I've just noticed! No Lord of the Rings! Ha ha! Fuck you, Jackson! :D

2 - There Will Be Blood - only because it's way too recent. Give it two years and it will mostly be forgotten.

:D

I think you'll find it's reputation will grow and grow until it's an IMDB topper.

Mark my words.

The only live action film in the last 8 years to get on the list was Lord of the Rings?

I think that's pretty harsh on some contemporary pieces.

The only live action film in the last 8 years to get on the list was Lord of the Rings?

I think that's pretty harsh on some contemporary pieces.

The AFI always wait to see if a film stands the test of time.

Otherwise ten years ago they'dd have been endorsing Titanic.