Most overated Prem players

Douggy B

the pens dont matter though, they didnt make a difference because man utd still won the champions league. you cant have a go at a player for missing a pen

John Terry lost Chelsea the CL.

So obviously you can.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he'd scored a hat trick and been MOTM in the final it would have been notable as it would be one of the only occasions he did turn up in a big game. He did play alright though. Not to his normal standard.

you can say that about any player though. etoo and messi wernt exactly up to their normal standard against man utd and thats because they are playing against a better defence than what they normally do and messi is arguably the best player in the world

the pens dont matter though, they didnt make a difference because man utd still won the champions league. you cant have a go at a player for missing a pen

So obviously you can.

I thought Anelka did. :nah:

So obviously you can.

I thought Anelka did. :nah:

If it wasn't for Terry's miss in the first place, Chelsea would have won it long before it got to Anelka's pen.

So obviously you can.

well yeah i agree with you their but i mean ronaldo is an amazing player and you shouldnt have a go at him for missing a pen. terry is a talentless arsehole and deserves everything said about him

Guest alex

I don't understand how the outcome of the game is particularly relevent given we're discussing an individual's performance. Whether or not the penalty affected the outcome has nothing to do with whether or not he bottled the kick, given he wouldn't have known at the time that it didn't matter. I don't think missing a penalty makes him a bottler per se, but subsequent events have nothing to do with whether his temperament should be brought into question.

Guest alex
If he'd scored a hat trick and been MOTM in the final it would have been notable as it would be one of the only occasions he did turn up in a big game. He did play alright though. Not to his normal standard.

you can say that about any player though. etoo and messi wernt exactly up to their normal standard against man utd and thats because they are playing against a better defence than what they normally do and messi is arguably the best player in the world

Messi always looked dangerous and never went missing. He always wanted the ball too. Contrast that with Ronaldo in the same matches.

I don't understand how the outcome of the game is particularly relevent given we're discussing an individual's performance. Whether or not the penalty affected the outcome has nothing to do with whether or not he bottled the kick, given he wouldn't have known at the time that it didn't matter. I don't think missing a penalty makes him a bottler per se, but subsequent events have nothing to do with whether his temperament should be brought into question.

so you rate a players performance on whether or not they score a pen in a penalty shootout even though he scored the only goal for his team in the match

Guest alex

so you rate a players performance on whether or not they score a pen in a penalty shootout even though he scored the only goal for his team in the match

No. Fuck me, this is hard work.

You appeared to be saying, correct me if I'm wrong, that Ronaldo's miss didn't matter. I was wondering what that had to do with whether or not he bottled the penalty. What does it have to do with that?

Messi always looked dangerous and never went missing. He always wanted the ball too. Contrast that with Ronaldo in the same matches.

i wouldnt have really said he looked that dangerous. i can only really remember him having one decent chance and that went wide. But my point is even if you think messi had a decent game he wasnt up to his usual standards which is because hes playing against a better defence than normal and therefore cant play aswel, which is why i dont think ronaldo should be singled out for saying he isnt world class because he goes missing in big games.

Messi in big matches just tends to run in circles for five minutes. Never loses the ball but a lot of the time he does fuck all with it.

You appeared to be saying, correct me if I'm wrong, that Ronaldo's miss didn't matter. I was wondering what that had to do with whether or not he bottled the penalty. What does it have to do with that?

well no i wouldnt say he bottled it. he missed the pen but it doesnt necessarily mean he bottled it

Guest alex

i wouldnt have really said he looked that dangerous. i can only really remember him having one decent chance and that went wide. But my point is even if you think messi had a decent game he wasnt up to his usual standards which is because hes playing against a better defence than normal and therefore cant play aswel, which is why i dont think ronaldo should be singled out for saying he isnt world class because he goes missing in big games.

I really haven't seen Messi play in enough big games to comment in all honesty.

Guest alex

well no i wouldnt say he bottled it. he missed the pen but it doesnt necessarily mean he bottled it

Not what I asked like. Never mind.

well to explain my point i can use henry as my example. Henry in the Premiership was amazing against every team. But when it came to playing teams like man utd or chelsea he wasnt up to he usual standards he was just decent as he is playing against a better defence. However imo there is no doubt that henry is world class and therefore the same should go for ronaldo.

Guest alex

well to explain my point i can use henry as my example. Henry in the Premiership was amazing against every team. But when it came to playing teams like man utd or chelsea he wasnt up to he usual standards he was just decent as he is playing against a better defence. However imo there is no doubt that henry is world class and therefore the same should go for ronaldo.

It's a fair criticism of both players imo - i.e. the questionable big game temperament. And both are (or at least were in Henry's case) world class. Some really good players thrive under the big game pressure, some don't. No one is saying he isn't world class though.

It's a fair criticism of both players imo - i.e. the questionable big game temperament. And both are (or at least were in Henry's case) world class. Some really good players thrive under the big game pressure, some don't. No one is saying he isn't world class though.

well the point was that ronaldo goes missing in big games. Can you name me a attacking player that doesnt go missing in big games that currently plays in the premierleague?

Guest alex

well the point was that ronaldo goes missing in big games. Can you name me a attacking player that doesnt go missing in big games that currently plays in the premierleague?

Torres.

Drogbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Guest alex

To be fair to Ronaldo, he's still young and it's something that will probably improve with the more massive games he plays in.

Gerrard (if you class him as attacking) always seems to perform.

Edited by Barton7