Anyone with a private number plate?

Guest BigThompers

Guest BigThompers
Wasn't your car worth about £4,000?

I think (although can't say for sure) his was a 1.4 and did exactly what he needed it to do. He didn't have the super sport turbo rudeboy gangsta aiiigghht model but then he wasn't a little boy racer prick who sticks holes in his exhaust pipe to make the car sound meatier.

Me neither. I just tend to not skimp out and would always opt for the top-of-the-range model, even if it's a couple of years older, tbh.

Top model or not.... it's still only an Astra :D

You can't polish a turd! :lol:

It's a superior model of one of the most successful car models in the country. Hardlys a 'turd', dick head.

Actually you're right - turds are probably more aerodynamic.... particularly as they don't have the 'off-cuts' from an airfix model attached to their rear end :rip:

Hey if it does 160mph without being aerodynamic I'm pretty pleased.

Why on earth would you be pleased to get a car to go more than twice the national speed limit? Serious question btw...

I disagree with speed limits. I don't fly around the streets doing stupid speeds. However in certain situations, e.g a quiet motorway I don't see the problem in going fast.

Speed doesn't cause accidents, inattentive careless driving does.

And of course when you have some little tosser up your backside in his Saxo, the pleasure of being able to put your toe down and watch him disappear into the distance until he's a mere dot in your rear-view is one that there's no substitute for.

Edited by BigThompers

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think (although can't say for sure) his was a 1.4 and did exactly what he needed it to do. He didn't have the super sport turbo rudeboy gangsta aiiigghht model but then he wasn't a little boy racer prick who sticks holes in his exhaust pipe to make the car sound meatier.

Me neither. I just tend to not skimp out and would always opt for the top-of-the-range model, even if it's a couple of years older, tbh.

It's a superior model of one of the most successful car models in the country. Hardlys a 'turd', dick head.

Actually you're right - turds are probably more aerodynamic.... particularly as they don't have the 'off-cuts' from an airfix model attached to their rear end :rip:

Why on earth would you be pleased to get a car to go more than twice the national speed limit? Serious question btw...

I disagree with speed limits. I don't fly around the streets doing stupid speeds. However in certain situations, e.g a quiet motorway I don't see the problem in going fast.

And of course when you have some little tosser up your backside in his Saxo, the pleasure of being able to put your toe down and watch him disappear into the distance until he's a mere dot in your rear-view is one that there's no substitute for.

Doing 160mph in an Astra anywhere (not that I actually believe an Astra will do 160 - you start to run into the aerodynamics issue more and more at higher speed - I'd expect even the most sporty version actually tops out at 145-150mph) isn't safe.

Bit like that guy on the A19 that Kentucky fried chickened himself in his mazda recently.

Guest BigThompers

Doing 160mph in an Astra anywhere (not that I actually believe an Astra will do 160 - you start to run into the aerodynamics issue more and more at higher speed - I'd expect even the most sporty version actually tops out at 145-150mph) isn't safe.

Bit like that guy on the A19 that Kentucky fried chickened himself in his mazda recently.

It's not a hatchback astra it's a coupé, i.e a chassis perfectly capable of high speeds. Why would you doubt that an Astra could do 160 mph? It's top speed STANDARD is 153 mph, this one has been mapped from 187 bhp to 234 bhp, do you not believe that the extra 47bhp can generate 7mph higher top end? Fool.

You can't polish a turd! :)

It's not a hatchback astra it's a coupé, i.e a chassis perfectly capable of high speeds. Why would you doubt that an Astra could do 160 mph? It's top speed STANDARD is 153 mph, this one has been mapped from 187 bhp to 234 bhp, do you not believe that the extra 47bhp can generate 7mph higher top end? Fool.

Video it then, and post it, easy peasy. :rolleyes:

I await your evidence - until then you know I'm right. :lol:

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Phase_Kits.html

Read the phase 1 upgrade and apologise, cheers.

If that's your "evidence" (not actually having gone 160mph) then you're a bigger muppet than you seem.

You do realise how completely bollocks car and car performance marketing is?

And like I said just video it, easy to prove. :D

Edited by Fop

Guest BigThompers

Yeah, fast track to a driving ban that'd be. There's a video on youtube of a standard one going over 150mph, which automatically proves your 145-150 theory wrong.

Yeah, fast track to a driving ban that'd be. There's a video on youtube of a standard one going over 150mph, which automatically proves your 145-150 theory wrong.

So you now admit you've never done 160mph then. :D

Don't get me wrong, with enough power you can get a 1 ton brick to 160+mph, but it doesn't mean it will be stable, safe or doing more than 1mpg.

Just I very much doubt (and seemingly there is no evidence to suggest otherwise) that an Astra producing that much at the wheels never mind flywheel would, and certainly not safely.

This whole issue was part of the reason the TVR Speed 12 was so monstrously powered 1000+bhp.

Guest BigThompers

So you now admit you've never done 160mph then. :rip:

Don't get me wrong, with enough power you can get a 1 ton brick to 160+mph, but it doesn't mean it will be stable, safe or doing more than 1mpg.

Just I very much doubt (and seemingly there is no evidence to suggest otherwise) that an Astra producing that much at the wheels never mind flywheel would, and certainly not safely.

This whole issue was part of the reason the TVR Speed 12 was so monstrously powered 1000+bhp.

Eh? Where did I say I hadn't? I've read stories about people posting their illegal speeds online and been prosecuted for doing so, and after having already posting a picture of my car, you must be fucking joking if you want me to go out and do 160 and post a video of it :D Moron.

What part of the Astra Coupe Turbo deems it unsuitable for these speeds?

Eh? Where did I say I hadn't? I've read stories about people posting their illegal speeds online and been prosecuted for doing so, and after having already posting a picture of my car, you must be fucking joking if you want me to go out and do 160 and post a video of it :D Moron.

The driver

Guest BigThompers

And do you think vauxhall would be allowed to release a car capable of 153 mph if it wasn't safely able to do so :D

Or do you think the extra 7mph is the killer :rip:

Pop over to the Isle of Man or just record it on a track then. I await your evidence. :lol:

Guest BigThompers

Pop over to the Isle of Man or just record it on a track then. I await your evidence. :lol:

There's one on Youtube? Or does it for some reason have to be my exact car? Wanker.

P.S Top reply. Bound to go there. You're questioning something that I've already told you that there is a video of on Youtube. Grade A bore...

Edited by BigThompers

There's one on Youtube? Or does it for some reason have to be my exact car? Wanker.

Yes, your car would be evidence of it being able to do 160mph wouldn't it. :) I'm still waiting....

Guest BigThompers

So you now admit you've never done 160mph then. :lol:

Pop over to the Isle of Man or just record it on a track then. I await your evidence. :)

Yes, your car would be evidence of it being able to do 160mph wouldn't it. :rolleyes: I'm still waiting....

My god.

What a cock :rip:

So you now admit you've never done 160mph then. :lol:

Pop over to the Isle of Man or just record it on a track then. I await your evidence. :rolleyes:

Yes, your car would be evidence of it being able to do 160mph wouldn't it. :rolleyes: I'm still waiting....

My god.

Still waiting..... admittedly if you found a high enough cliff you might get it up to 160mph. :)

Guest BigThompers

So you now admit you've never done 160mph then. :)

Pop over to the Isle of Man or just record it on a track then. I await your evidence. :rolleyes:

Yes, your car would be evidence of it being able to do 160mph wouldn't it. B) I'm still waiting....

My god.

Still waiting..... admittedly if you found a high enough cliff you might get it up to 160mph. :rolleyes:

What a moron :lol:

So you now admit you've never done 160mph then. :rolleyes:

Yes, your car would be evidence of it being able to do 160mph wouldn't it. :razz: I'm still waiting....

My god.

Still waiting..... admittedly if you found a high enough cliff you might get it up to 160mph. :rolleyes:

What a moron :lol:

Considering 160mph is pretty fast I seem to be waiting rather a long time. B)

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Phase_Kits.html

There is my evidence. If you're accusing them of false advertising I'll alert them of your accusations - hopefully they don't take no-substance libelous comments seriously...

So as well as aerodynamics you don't understand advertising law either.

Like I said though it's nice to see you admit you've never been 160mph in your car. :)

Guest BigThompers

You say "admitted it" as if I've somehow implied previously that I had been that speed? Why would I feel the need to go to any lengths to prove this to you? You stated that they'd top out at 145-150 which has already been proved wrong by a youtube video. What is your point, do you even have one?

The luxury of having a car capable of that speed is being able to accelerate very quickly even at high speeds. I can go past 130 in 4th gear, shift to 5th and just sit nicely and cruise, knowing full well that I still have power under my foot and that my car isn't screaming at me...

You say "admitted it" as if I've somehow implied previously that I had been that speed? Why would I feel the need to go to any lengths to prove this to you? You stated that they'd top out at 145-150 which has already been proved wrong by a youtube video. What is your point, do you even have one?

The luxury of having a car capable of that speed is being able to accelerate very quickly even at high speeds. I can go past 130 in 4th gear, shift to 5th and just sit nicely and cruise, knowing full well that I still have power under my foot and that my car isn't screaming at me...

You seemed to say you'd been at that speed, clearly you haven't and you just believe the marketing rubbish.

Anyway to get this back on to a more logical track (than yes, no, yes, no, ner ne ner ner ner).

As a rough rule of thumb it you need massively increase your power to achieve higher speeds, because as your speed doubles the drag coefficient squares and the power required to get to that speed is cubed.

So a car that needs 100bhp to do 100mph needs 800bhp to do 200mph, which is why most cars run into a brick wall around the 150mph mark.

Edited by Fop

Astra's are canny middle of the road( no pun intended) cars. Nowt special and pretty reliable, owned one once myself an 02 1.8 club. However if i was to see an Astra with a private reg my first reaction would be, bellend.

Pathetic statement. It's like saying I once had a Vauxhall Carlton and stereotyping the Lotus Carlton and putting it into the same category. Moronic.

You kind of miss the point. The fact that it's an astra, yes I'm totally aware that you can get some damn quick ones. The VXR springs to mind, very nice looking and goes like shit of a shiny. However if I was to see someone driving a VXR with a private reg I would STILL think bellend.

Edited by micktoon

Astra's are canny middle of the road( no pun intended) cars. Nowt special and pretty reliable, owned one once myself an 02 1.8 club. However if i was to see an Astra with a private reg my first reaction would be, bellend.

Pathetic statement. It's like saying I once had a Vauxhall Carlton and stereotyping the Lotus Carlton and putting it into the same category. Moronic.

You kind of miss the point. The fact that it's an astra, yes I'm totally aware that you can get some damn quick ones. The VXR springs to mind, very nice looking and goes like shit of a shiny. However if I was to see someone driving a VXR with a private reg I would STILL think bellend.

His statement about the Lotus Carton doesn't even have any substance seeing as Vauhall didn't build the LC...

As for driving at the speeds you're suggesting Thompers and suggesting there's "nothing wrong with it and it's safe", I really hope you suffer a blow-out. You'll soon change your mind....... if you survived it.

Oh look Thompers.... you're not the only sad twat in the world... :D

Formula 1 star Lewis Hamilton has splashed out more than £200,000 for the personalised number plate LEW 1S.

The driver was determined to get the unique registration which was already owned by property tycoon Bob Lewis.

Mr Lewis, 57, a father of two, bought it for £50,000 last year and put it on his Mercedes.

But multi-millionaire McLaren driver Hamilton, 23, was prepared to pay much more than that.

He will now put the plate on his Mercedes 4X4 in Switzerland where he lives as a tax exile.

Mr Lewis, a former pub owner and fleet car dealer, is believed to be in St Tropez with his wife.

A friend said he had been reluctant to part with the plate but the offer had been too good to refuse.

The friend said: "He loved that plate but business is business."

For Hamilton it should help to ease the pain of an uncharacteristic lapse at the Canadian grand Prix a week ago when he caused an accident with his Ferrari rival, world champion Kimi Raikkonen.

Hamilton shunted Raikkonen out of the race in a pit-lane collision and was given a 10-place grid penalty for the French Grand Prix in Magny-Cours.

Speaking after he was given the penalty, Hamilton said: "Obviously I am not happy but they can throw what they want at me, I will come back stronger.

"I saw the red light but it was too late. It's not a racing incident but it is unfortunate."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...mber-plate.html

I can't remember the proper story but I think he bought it off someone in Newcastle. My Dad was on about it at the weekend at the cricket but I wasn't really paying attention.