Old Gossip Pendant

Tom

Real Madrid are waiting for Cristiano Ronaldo to publicly say he wants to leave Manchester United to join them. "As soon as he says he wants to play for Real Madrid there will be conversations between the two clubs," says Real's director general of the presidency, Miguel Angel Arroyo. (Spanish sports paper Marca, 1045 BST)

Barcelona will offer £24m for Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor (Marca, 0741 BST)

Barcelona are still in talks to sign Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb (Press Association, 0735 BST)

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Aston Villa are ready to hijack Tottenham's planned £15m move for Blackburn's David Bentley (Daily Star).

Cristiano Ronaldo's Manchester United future could depend upon whether coach Carlos Queiroz stays at the club or joins the Portugal set-up (Daily Star).

Emre's move from Newcastle to Fenerbahce could be in doubt as he faces a call-up to the Turkish army (The Mirror).

Inter Milan target Frank Lampard, who turns 30 on 20 June, wants a four-year deal at Chelsea but the club only want to offer him a two-year contract (The Times).

Norwich have beaten Ipswich to the signature of Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi (Daily Star).

Fulham want £2.5m from QPR for Lee Cook. Cook moved in the opposite direction last summer, but didn't make a first team appearance for Fulham last season (The Sun).

Rangers could miss out on both Kyle Lafferty, as Alan Gow is not sure he wants to join Burnley as part of the deal, and also Steve Davis, as Fulham want £4m for him (Daily Record).

Former Gretna striker Fabian Yantorno cut short his summer holiday in an effort to land a contract with Hibs. (Daily Express)

Dundee are lining up a move for former Rangers and Dundee United midfielder Charlie Miller after he was released by Belgian outfit Lierse. (Daily Mail)

Portugal boss Luis Felipe Scolari fears his team's lack of inches could cost them against Germany. Their 5 ft 9 inch average height is three inches less than the Germans. Croatia and Greece average a lofty 6ft 1 inch a man (The Mirror).

Middlesbrough star Mido, who tipped the scales at 15st 2lb last season, has apologised to the club's fans and says he has lost two stone for the new campaign (The Sun).

TV replays are to be removed from Premier League dug-outs and tunnels to stop managers berating fourth officials next season (Daily Mail).

Michael Owen says there should be an announcement "in the next month or two" over his contract talks at Newcastle (Daily Telegraph).

Manchester United's Patrice Evra and Patrick Vieira had to be pulled apart from squaring up to one another in the tunnel after France's 4-1 loss to the Netherlands. The incident was caught on camera (The Mirror).

Vieira, who did not play in the tournament, also had a bust-up with old rival Ruud van Nistelrooy after the same game (The Independent).

Turkey coach Fatih Terim is an outsider for the Blackburn job (Mirror) but Paul Ince is on the verge of being appointed (Daily Mail).

Thierry Henry has vowed not to quit international football despite France's failure at Euro 2008 (Daily Star).

AND FINALLY

Three players ended up in hospital after a friendly at Euro 2008 - between Austrian and German police (Daily Express).

French coach Raymond Domenech has been savaged in the press after proposing to his girlfriend live on national television after their elimination from Euro 2008. He said he wanted to provide "a glimmer of light on a cloudy night" (The Independent).

Emre's move from Newcastle to Fenerbahce could be in doubt as he faces a call-up to the Turkish army (The Mirror).

They do like their negative spin.

How is that a negative spin? More a statement of facts I'd say.

According to The Times, the move still isn't in doubt. It would only amount to 21 days military service anyway. I know they have to do it in Italy and the clubs work around it there with few problems.

A statement of fact would be he's doing his national service - the negative/made up bit is that it in anyway affects his transfer.

Edited by Fop

"We've just opened contract talks, we are talking

"I've got this season left regardless and we're working on a deal to stay longer. There'll probably be news in a month or two.

"We have got a lot of good players, but our squad wasn't the biggest last year.

"We haven't got a massive squad. We don't want size for the sake of size, but we obviously want quality.

"No one has made any moves in the transfer market, hardly, yet. It always tends to happen later on in the summer.

"We will see who we let go, or who we buy. But obviously I am like any Newcastle supporter and want the better players to come and we don't want to lose our best players either."

"We've just opened contract talks, we are talking

"I've got this season left regardless and we're working on a deal to stay longer. There'll probably be news in a month or two.

"We have got a lot of good players, but our squad wasn't the biggest last year.

"We haven't got a massive squad. We don't want size for the sake of size, but we obviously want quality.

"No one has made any moves in the transfer market, hardly, yet. It always tends to happen later on in the summer.

"We will see who we let go, or who we buy. But obviously I am like any Newcastle supporter and want the better players to come and we don't want to lose our best players either."

probably waiting on a statement of intent from newcastle like the rest of us , hardly gonna wanna stick around next season if we dont bring in better than we have sent out .

A statement of fact would be he's doing his national service - the negative/made up bit is that it in anyway affects his transfer.

You reckon it won't affect the transfer? Looks like it has already.

You reckon it won't affect the transfer? Looks like it has already.

If you had a clue you'd realise that the factors effecting his transfer ARE there (manager leaving), but that his doing 3 weeks military service (which he can defer till he's 36 anyway if he wants to) is NOT one of them.

So are you still going to argue or just get a clue? :D

The negative spin is that it's putting his transfer in doubt. Something that all parties involved seem to be denying.

Re: Owen. 'in the next month or two". WHAT???????????

Doing a runner innit?

Well if he can string it out for 2 months he can basically decide if he's better off sticking (lots of quality transfers in and ambition) or going for a Bosman I guess. From his point of view it's the sensible thing, I guess.

Re: Owen. 'in the next month or two". WHAT???????????

Doing a runner innit?

Well if he can string it out for 2 months he can basically decide if he's better off sticking (lots of quality transfers in and ambition) or going for a Bosman I guess. From his point of view it's the sensible thing, I guess.

It's such a huge timeframe I guess you're right.