Schöfferhofer Weizen on offer at ALDI

Meenzer

Im going to guess Beer or Sausage, could be either really :headphonedance:

Actually, I remember when I had family over there in Osnabruuk (sp?), used to go over on my school hols as a teenager. Used to love the (no idea how to spell this) frickedela & bratwurst van that would sit up near the naafi.

Close enough. :headphonedance: Frikadellen are class (albeit packed with crap). They've got them in stock too, but it's not the same out of the fridge. The Schöfferhofer in question is a wheat beer, not the best, but not to be sniffed at for 99p a pop. ;)

Close enough. :headphonedance: Frikadellen are class (albeit packed with crap). They've got them in stock too, but it's not the same out of the fridge. The Schöfferhofer in question is a wheat beer, not the best, but not to be sniffed at for 99p a pop. ;)

It's nein erdinger but a fucking bargain Martin.

My local has Hoegaarden at $54 a case normally $90 > anyone care for a bier?

Close enough. :headphonedance: Frikadellen are class (albeit packed with crap). They've got them in stock too, but it's not the same out of the fridge. The Schöfferhofer in question is a wheat beer, not the best, but not to be sniffed at for 99p a pop. :)

I'm a Leffe man myself, failing that a decent Kristallweizen usually hits the spot at this time of year, but a Hoegaarden will do quite nicely. Bring it on. ;)

Close enough. ;) Frikadellen are class (albeit packed with crap). They've got them in stock too, but it's not the same out of the fridge. The Schöfferhofer in question is a wheat beer, not the best, but not to be sniffed at for 99p a pop. :blush:

I'm a Leffe man myself, failing that a decent Kristallweizen usually hits the spot at this time of year, but a Hoegaarden will do quite nicely. Bring it on. :)

See I just can't get into Kristallweizen, it's just to close to pils in colour, a Weiss bier or Dunkel go down a treat and Hoegaarden is the cheaper alternative to a Chimay Rouge.

Hold on Martin I'm just off to the fridge. Out of the bottle ok or do you need a glass??? :headphonedance:

Hold on Martin I'm just off to the fridge. Out of the bottle ok or do you need a glass??? ;)

You mean you haven't got a range of branded glasses, snaffled from the better quality of pub over the years? What kind of savage are you? :headphonedance:

Hold on Martin I'm just off to the fridge. Out of the bottle ok or do you need a glass??? ;)

You mean you haven't got a range of branded glasses, snaffled from the better quality of pub over the years? What kind of savage are you? :headphonedance:

Of course I do, take your pick you can have either a hoegaarden, erdinger, chimay, bitburger *spits* or franziskaner.

Sorry I broke the Asahi glass the other day.

Or you can have just a plain old aussie schooner mate!

Come on Martin your bier is getting warm!

I'll take it intravenously then. :headphonedance:

Place I went to tonight, half pub half live music venue, had Paulaner on tap and Negra Modelo bottled. Not a bad show for a Lahndan scabhole.

Place I went to tonight, half pub half live music venue, had Paulaner on tap and Negra Modelo bottled. Not a bad show for a Lahndan scabhole.

I'd give stevie's left nut (if he had one) for my locals to have beer half as decent as an average London pub.

The local I've just moved away from every 6 months installs Hoegaarden on tap but then four weeks later removes it because they are fucking idiots and can't pull a decent beer to save their life. Australian beers (VB, Toohey's New and other such shite) they just pour until beer, not foam, starts to flow over the edge of the glass.

Luckily there is a Belgian Bier Cafe now within walking distance of my new home!

Yum Gouden Carolus.

I'd give stevie's left nut (if he had one) for my locals to have beer half as decent as an average London pub.

The local I've just moved away from every 6 months installs Hoegaarden on tap but then four weeks later removes it because they are fucking idiots and can't pull a decent beer to save their life. Australian beers (VB, Toohey's New and other such shite) they just pour until beer, not foam, starts to flow over the edge of the glass.

Luckily there is a Belgian Bier Cafe now within walking distance of my new home!

Yum Gouden Carolus.

Plenty of British pubs, bar staff and (worst of all) punters still think that a beer with any kind of head on it is a criminal offence. Mind you, with Aussie beers I can understand treating it like the pisswater it is. ;)

I jest, of course. There must be some decent Australian beers, in the same way that even the wastelands of Canada come up with some dead nice honey beers - I just haven't been exposed to them yet (i.e. can't be bothered to find out). Any tips?

Plenty of British pubs, bar staff and (worst of all) punters still think that a beer with any kind of head on it is a criminal offence. Mind you, with Aussie beers I can understand treating it like the pisswater it is. :headphonedance:

I jest, of course. There must be some decent Australian beers, in the same way that even the wastelands of Canada come up with some dead nice honey beers - I just haven't been exposed to them yet (i.e. can't be bothered to find out). Any tips?

That's because they're all aussie backpackers and they wouldn't know how to pour a decent beer ;)

Hints for Australian beers?

Keep away from anything made by CUB (Carlton United Breweries) except their Resch's brand, from Tooheys except their Black beer, anything where they can't actually spell, XXXX for example or anything by West End - my piss is tastier and less toxic.

Coopers is ok but now mass produced so it's lost a lot of what it had, the cloudy ale will still take the top of your head off before you realise it.

There is a micro brewery in Sydney called RedOak which is owned by the friend of a mate. I can't get into it but they win a lot of awards internationally.

My fave is a Tasmanian brewery called MooBrew (I kid you not) and they make an awesome Hefeweizen ($100 a case!!!) and an brilliant black beer that you can only buy off tap in Tasmania.

Actually Tasmanian beer is probably the best in Australia at the moment. Cascade or Boags are their mass produced brands but they seem to take a little more time in brewing them or maybe it's the fact the water isn't going to create the next toxic avenger.

Redback from WA use to be ok but it's a barley beer so after a few your tongue loses all sensation. I haven't seen it around for a while.

There are also some small boutique breweries, like the Snowy mountains Beer company that are worth the effort but as you can probably tell I'd rather buy a decent european beer or a bottle of dog before I drink that Australian piss.

:headphonedance: Aye, I got that impression. :)

Cheers though - for all I deride London pubs, there are a few Aussie-owned bars that actually have what look like vaguely obscure beers available alongside the usual suspects, hence my line of questioning. I'll investigate the next time I'm unfortunate enough to be dragged along to somewhere convict-themed. ;)

I'll investigate the next time I'm unfortunate enough to be dragged along to somewhere convict-themed. :headphonedance:

I hope they are playing an aerial ping pong match on the big screen and they have a special on West End (and your friends don't know how bad it is as they buy you a pint of the shite) just to make you suffer that little bit more ;)

The Fish should buy a crate and start practicing...

And wheat beer out of a bottle is just rank...

Trust me Wolfgang it beats West End out of a can anyday.

(Plus stop being a fairy, you don't hear Meenzer complaining).

Edited by sammynb

Further to your enquiry earlier Martin, I've just been out for dinner and the restaurant we were at sold Snowy Mountains Brewery beer. So armed with the knowledge they make a weizen I ordered one only to be told they don't sell it anymore because no-one wanted it, cunts!

But they did have a SMB Red Ale which was very good and like a light (in flavour) Chimay Rouge.

Have a look:

http://www.snowymountainsbrewery.com.au/aboutthebeer.asp

I'll take it intravenously then. ;)

Superb beer. So hard to find a lot of decent European beers here. Looked everywhere Bayern based beers, such as Paulaner and Hofbrau but only been able to get my hands on Löwenbräu and Erdinger (which is another great beer). Can't even get something as simple as Carling Black Label...