Money

Scottish Mag

Until the ridiculous contracts negotiated by FFS can be renegotiated and NUFC starts becoming a viable concern, I expect this to continue.

Short term pain for long term security.

Aye, assuming they are putting in a wage structure (and it's still hard to say as there's nothing really definite either way), it's bound to be painful and effect recruitment and therefore Premiership achievement for a season at least (maybe quite a few more).

The worrying thing is that although some of FFS dealing were silly, at the same time we'll always be paying more all things being equal, which is being made worse by the money other clubs are throwing around now.

Newcastle with a wage structure is like a dead shark.

Why you will still offer substantially more than team abroad.

Not according to Distin.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are bargains out there to be had.

When we rebuilt, we got players from relegated teams, frees from abroad, young kids and a few seasoned heads getting to the end of our career.

When we almost came fourth our starting 11 was less than 30mil pounds.

Maybe Wise's scouting network is still in the process of setting up.

Spurs never really had our earners though did they?

Part of the problem with us is that agents and players perceive we'll pay "Rolls Royce" wages, and can happily point to a fair few on "Rolls Royce" wages (that there maybe other reasons adding to their wages in that context is irrelevent). Add to that the clubs geographic position (I know Portugal would look good to me :headphonedance:) and recent finishes and it must be difficult.

Ashley certainly knows how to run a business, which is good, but a football club isn't always the same thing..... yet at the same time I guess he has to get our wage bill down. He's probably fucked both ways in many respects.

When we rebuilt, we got players from relegated teams, frees from abroad, young kids and a few seasoned heads getting to the end of our career.

Not quite finished on that part yet, methinks.

I mean in the initial period when we began to stop the rot.

Yet you still have no quality DM and no central defence.

King and Woodgate is a top central defence. Dawson is an OK squad player.

Correct on the DM.

Edited by Danny B

Correct on the DM.

Given that they are lucky to play half a season each you've got one good CD there.

Edited by ewerk

Spurs never really had our earners though did they?

Part of the problem with us is that agents and players perceive we'll pay "Rolls Royce" wages, and can happily point to a fair few on "Rolls Royce" wages (that there maybe other reasons adding to their wages in that context is irrelevent). Add to that the clubs geographic position (I know Portugal would look good to me :headphonedance:) and recent finishes and it must be difficult.

Ashley certainly knows how to run a business, which is good, but a football club isn't always the same thing..... yet at the same time I guess he has to get our wage bill down. He's probably fucked both ways in many respects.

It was never going to be easy. But....We'll now see the measure of the man.

Correct on the DM.

King is crocked we both know it.

Correct on the DM.

King is crocked we both know it.

Hes had a big op this summer. Make or break this season.

You mean when you came fifth? :headphonedance:

You mean when you came fifth? ;)

Freud turning in his grave. :headphonedance:

Canny article this time around. While I think I can see what MA is doing, and maybe he has got KK, DW etc to buy into this idea, I think its proving harder than they thought to buy well. This is made harder by the amount of dead wood we have. I can't begin to imagine what Barton, Geremi & Smith are on, but Id hazard guess that if we shipped those three out, we could get 4-5 in and remain where we are on wages.

Another problem I think is that our TO/Wages ratio used to be good, however that income included CL money which we havent had for a while. Yet, under FFS I dont think we tried to reduce our wages since dropping out of the CL, but rather increase them to try and get back. Spectacular failure after failure took us out of Europe all together. All the while our income would plummit yet continue to attract players with lucrative deals (Luque) who simply were not good enough. We need these players moved on if they cannot offer solid first team performances and replacing with players who will. Yet, we have a small squad already.

So, I can see why its tough for KK trying to get MA's vision in place. Yet again, I see this as a season of re-building :headphonedance: But, I remain optimistic about the future and see a light at the end of the tunnel (unless its the 3pm train to London).

Edited by JawD

Until the ridiculous contracts negotiated by FFS can be renegotiated and NUFC starts becoming a viable concern, I expect this to continue.

Aye, assuming they are putting in a wage structure (and it's still hard to say as there's nothing really definite either way), it's bound to be painful and effect recruitment and therefore Premiership achievement for a season at least (maybe quite a few more).

The worrying thing is that although some of FFS dealing were silly, at the same time we'll always be paying more all things being equal, which is being made worse by the money other clubs are throwing around now.

Huh? :headphonedance:

Going nowhere?

Huh indeed.

Going nowhere?

Just don't get why having some structure is such a bad thing.

Going nowhere?

Structures are fine, but they have to be flexible or we'll have to rule out all tier one players for the near future.

Going nowhere?

That's the question.

Should you discipline your kids and make them adhere to strict rules to keep them on the straight and narrow, or let them do as they please so their spirits can soar?

Parky's an old hippy so he'd say option B.

Going nowhere?

Structures are fine, but they have to be flexible or we'll have to rule out all tier one players for the near future.

When was the last time you bought one of those? ... Shearer?

Going nowhere?

That's the question.

Should you discipline your kids and make them adhere to strict rules to keep them on the straight and narrow, or let them do as they please so their spirits can soar?

Parky's an old hippy so he'd say option B.

Too right bro. ;)

Going nowhere?

How many times have Liverpool spent more than Newcastle did for Shearer or Owen?

Genuine question. Just the one springs to mind.

Ashley's lot negotiated a fair few of them too, as I've already pointed out.

A few of them were negotiated by Kenny Shepherd while Ashley was in the process of buying the club, I remember comments about them "Okay-ing the deal" or words similar.

But tbh it doesn't matter who negotiated what the fact is need to bring the wage bill to a more manageable level, when you see superior squads like Spurs and EVerton who are supposed to have a wage cap of £60k and £50k respectively then you hear that we've got 6 players on more than £3 million a year then you know something is wrong.

Danny B is right, it's about trying to get the big earners off the wage bill before we can move forward, someone on Newcastle-Online pointed the situation out as being similar to when Sir Bobby first took over and needed to get rid of Ferguson and Maric off the wage bill before he can build properly and I thought that was a great comparison, not that I believe that Aimar turned us down because we wouldn't give him the wages he wanted and went to Benfica for £18k pw instead.

Newcastle fans are so jealous of Spurs because of all of the money they've been spending yet they've managed this by increasing ticket prices and bringing in a sensible wage structure (sound familiar?) yet all of the toys come out of the pram because season tickets go up £50 and they're trying to bring a sensible structure in here, if the £80k pw that they've offered Owen is correct it's still more than the majority of Premiership clubs outside the top 4 if not all of them.

We'll sign players, I have little doubt about that, I'm more worried about Keegan's comments about needing defenders more than anything else.

Going nowhere?

I think the structure will be flexible for these players. The problem is that we had to pay silly money for tier three type of players, so that getting these tier one players is rather difficult at the moment with the club barely having anything attractive to them - bar money. That's why I still don't believe the story of Aimar refusing to sign because of insufficient personal terms. This to me looks like tabloid fantasy just as more or less everything that has been written about Newcastle this summer. Anal's hilarious Frings story being the best example.

Going nowhere?

How many times have Liverpool spent more than Newcastle did for Shearer or Owen?

The question is not how much was spent ... the question is ... were they tier one or not?

Going nowhere?

The question is not how much was spent ... the question is ... were they tier one or not?

I take it it is just one then.

So which of Liverpools signings in the last 10 years have been tier one...other than Torres?

Edited by Happy Face