What exactly...

Wavey Davey

...Goes on in a 'tapping up' scenario.

I've heard it banded around and assumed it had something to do with unsettling the player through the media.

If I'm wrong or there's more to it then that: What is it?

I've heard it banded around and assumed it had something to do with unsettling the player through the media.

No, tapping up is making direct contact with a player (through various channels) without going through the correct procedures. The right way to do it is for the club interested to speak directly to the club who has the player. The club with the player would then decide whether or not they would allow said player to talk to the interested party.

No, tapping up is making direct contact with a player (through various channels) without going through the correct procedures. The right way to do it is for the club interested to speak directly to the club who has the player. The club with the player would then decide whether or not they would allow said player to talk to the interested party.

Oho! Shoulda known that. :(

Cheers marra!

Oho! Shoulda known that. :(

Cheers marra!

If you don't mate, it's better to ask than to guess :icon_lol:

Doesn't have to be direct contact.

Rule of thumb, dont discuss a player whilst he's under contract until you have permission.

Aye, I shouldn't have said direct. It's contact being made via a middle man or middle men. It's basically any contact with a player re: signing for a club without going through the proper channels.

Chris Waddle has admitted he was tapped up on England duty when he played for us. Peter Shreeves got a few Spurs players to approach him and tell him they were desperate to sign him. Bet that used to happen a canny bit.

Chris Waddle has admitted he was tapped up on England duty when he played for us. Peter Shreeves got a few Spurs players to approach him and tell him they were desperate to sign him. Bet that used to happen a canny bit.

Still does imo. Gareth Barry, for example.

Edited by alex

Oh yeah, Stevie G did it with Barry and Apparently Neville was all over Carrick on England duty before he went to Manure.

Then you have the "I would love to play with" stories in the press..

All part of the tapping up armoury, its not just clandestine meetings in hotels.

It's easy enough to do like and difficult to prove.

Lineker did a piece saying they should just do away with the rule.

I am tempted to agree.

Doesn't have to be direct contact.

Rule of thumb, dont discuss a player whilst he's under contract until you have permission.

Or managers. :(

We had already be given permission to talk to him......

First time round.

That's how they turned Karrie Webb allegedly! :(

... and not forgetting Keane ... cool tap-up! :(

... and not forgetting Keane ... cool tap-up! :(

You're club used to act with distinction over transfers...but you wouldn't remember that would you?

... and not forgetting Keane ... cool tap-up! :icon_lol:

You're club used to act with distinction over transfers...but you wouldn't remember that would you?

It's always been the same you tool ... get your head outta your arse! I see you've finally mastered the fact that ellipsis has only three dots. That took a while. :(

... and not forgetting Keane ... cool tap-up! :icon_lol:

It's always been the same you tool ... get your head outta your arse! I see you've finally mastered the fact that ellipsis has only three dots. That took a while. :(

Mugging = good. :icon_lol:

It could be anything from the prosaic asking to buy them a drink to the bizarre dressing up as Enrique Iglesias for them or sending them a photo of your cock.

It could be anything from the prosaic asking to buy them a drink to the bizarre dressing up as Enrique Iglesias for them or sending them a photo of your cock.

Took this long to get that response.

:(

always to Torres = since istanbul

Always to BarryBitch = Since tin-pot win from a few months ago (seeing as they've won fuck all of note) :(:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Edited by Torres