Greenday

LeazesMag

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant stand green day, my gf loves them but ive always been an offspring fan in that genre

Well since I've already ostracised myself as a Nimrod fan, I might as well add that Ixnay On The Hombre is clearly Offspring's best album. :D

Ixnay is a great album you say true

Dookie and Smash were awesome back in the day, 1994 i think, but both bands are well past their sell by date by now. I know its a cliche but look up 'Sold Out' in the Dictionary and you would see these 2

did they really have anything to sell out in the first place? they were both always pretty poppy and always pretty popular.

Dookie and Smash were awesome back in the day, 1994 i think, but both bands are well past their sell by date by now. I know its a cliche but look up 'Sold Out' in the Dictionary and you would see these 2

did they really have anything to sell out in the first place? they were both always pretty poppy and always pretty popular.

Not really, Pre 1994 Green day and Offspring were still driving round in vans playing local clubs on minor labels. Bearing in mind 1994 was the height of the grunge scene, pop punk wasnt really the in thing.

they've hardly sold out like for example, 'no doubt' though (again, always pretty popular, but they sold out big imo).

i'm not a big fan of either mind, i only know a couple of offspring albums (americana, smash and conspiracy of one) and the same could be said of greenday, so maybe i dont know them pre sell out.

Howay man, I dont think you quite understand what selling out is! They class (ed) themselves as a punk band and in the early days they were always name dropping the ramones etc as their heroes and they loved the punk DIY ethic blah blah blah. Now they sell hoodies at their arena show for £40 and do appearances on TRL and lots of other gay shit that is purely intended to rip 14 year old kids out of as much money as possible.

Compare Dookie to Warning and tell me they havent got some suited up record exec telling them what will make the charts

Now this band will never sell out :huh:

http://www.myspace.com/thesteal

I've always thought they were shit. Sounds like punk for kids whose balls haven't dropped yet iyam.

i think that too, but they have some decent songs if you can ignore all that.

Aye, some good pop songs to be fair. And I don't mean 'pop' perjoratively. I appreciate a good pop tune like.

Howay man, I dont think you quite understand what selling out is! They class (ed) themselves as a punk band and in the early days they were always name dropping the ramones etc as their heroes and they loved the punk DIY ethic blah blah blah. Now they sell hoodies at their arena show for £40 and do appearances on TRL and lots of other gay shit that is purely intended to rip 14 year old kids out of as much money as possible.

Compare Dookie to Warning and tell me they havent got some suited up record exec telling them what will make the charts

things change though mate. Not always for the best. I could say take these rap/garage shite, and it pisses me off that they churn out this garbage and chanting for the benefit of poxy music channels on TV when they could do Tamla Motown type stuff if they put their mind to it.

All I know is I quite like what I have heard from them, the first one being American Idiot.

I've always thought they were shit. Sounds like punk for kids whose balls haven't dropped yet iyam.

Aye, some good pop songs to be fair. And I don't mean 'pop' perjoratively. I appreciate a good pop tune like.

Sell out. :huh:

How does that work? Good music is good music.

I know, read your sig etc.

It works in the same way the racist/sexist/middle-class/smelly tag works. :lol:

No idea what you're on about.

No idea what you're on about.

Linguistic hand-grenade?

Not really, Pre 1994 Green day and Offspring were still driving round in vans playing local clubs on minor labels. Bearing in mind 1994 was the height of the grunge scene, pop punk wasnt really the in thing.

They were hardly driving round in vans like. Kerplunk made them a fortune.

Green Day didn't sell out they singed a major record deal, like all big hitters do every now and then.

They don't decide how much there hoodies go for the merch people do.

I honestly can't be arsed to defend them too much because I'm hungover but whatever...

Selling out :huh:

If I could make a ton of money fleecing people for my products as ridiculous prices, I would. Nickelback are probably the worst band in the world but I'm sure they don't mind once they check their bank account. I love music as much as anyone but I don't begrudge people for settling on a formula that makes money.

Edited by Stiva

Green Day didn't sell out they singed a major record deal, like all big hitters do every now and then.

I honestly can't be arsed to defend them too much because I'm hungover but whatever...

Like shite! It sold well for an independent release but the majority of sales only came after Dookie was released.

I think the best way to look at selling out is when bands become more interested in the money than the fans. A lot of bands are like that from day 1 but from a band like Green Day who counted on fans for their livlihood in the early days gigging roung california, its shame they dont give more of a shit these days.

I maybe not the best person to comment as I love my music and spend most of my time going to small punk/HC gigs for a few quid. I just dont see the same appeal in dropping £100 for a night sitting in an arena with a new t shirt and a hotdog

Like shite! It sold well for an independent release but the majority of sales only came after Dookie was released.

I think the best way to look at selling out is when bands become more interested in the money than the fans. A lot of bands are like that from day 1 but from a band like Green Day who counted on fans for their livlihood in the early days gigging roung california, its shame they dont give more of a shit these days.

I maybe not the best person to comment as I love my music and spend most of my time going to small punk/HC gigs for a few quid. I just dont see the same appeal in dropping £100 for a night sitting in an arena with a new t shirt and a hotdog

Kerplunk made them a relative fortune. Dookie made them more obviously.

How can you say Green Day don't care about their fans?

Is this the same Green Day giving out £600 guitars at their gigs and getting the fans on stage?

You fucking tool*

*still hungover wont argue till later

£100 = £25ish by the way,

and you don't sit in arena's .

plus i go to loads of small gigs too and play them, so fuck.

Do you think Billy Joe is in grot guitars before the gig buying up guitars for the show like? ;) Mate ive been at shows when the whole fuckign crowd has been on stage singing along for the entire set. Stop listening to 12 year old girl bands!!!

And the £100 included the standard gig ticket, t shirt, food and drink.

Or £10 if you go and see a better band at Trillians

I listen to a lot more than Green Day mate, I got to a lot of gigs, I play 5 instruments, get off your high horse your straight edge muppet theres a reason why some bands play trillians...