The F1 2008 thread

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

The team (and its workforce) have one hope IMO... Dave Richards. If he's not interested then it's going to be a very miserable Christmas in Brackley.

This is the problem with the grid being monopolised by the manufacturers. In financial times like these, the likes of Honda, Toyota, etc who are not necessarily front-running in the sport are evidently going to pull the plug on their participation in F1 as a primary cost-saving.

I don't think the likes of Button and Ross Brawn need worry. They're too established in the sport to be left on the sidelines. Button will probably end up at Torro Rosso IMO (a good car - arguably a better package than the 'parent' Red Bull car), which of course won a race last year.

Brawn maybe a surprise replacement if Ron finally decides to step to one side at McLaren?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The team (and its workforce) have one hope IMO... Dave Richards. If he's not interested then it's going to be a very miserable Christmas in Brackley.

This is the problem with the grid being monopolised by the manufacturers. In financial times like these, the likes of Honda, Toyota, etc who are not necessarily front-running in the sport are evidently going to pull the plug on their participation in F1 as a primary cost-saving.

I don't think the likes of Button and Ross Brawn need worry. They're too established in the sport to be left on the sidelines. Button will probably end up at Torro Rosso IMO (a good car - arguably a better package than the 'parent' Red Bull car), which of course won a race last year.

Brawn maybe a surprise replacement if Ron finally decides to step to one side at McLaren?

Richards was involved in the Aston Martin take-over wasn't he? It would make sense for him to come in and re-brand the team as AM. Except that AM laid off a load of staff this week too.

Putting it in football terms, Ferrari are Man U and McLaren are Liverpool. Honda and Toyota both wanted to 'do a Chelsea' and win titles by throwing loads of cash around. It hasn't worked out that way.

Richards: Honda's exit a lesson for F1

Prodrive boss David Richards believes Honda Racing's fight for survival is a lesson that Formula One must now change if it is to face the future with confidence.

Honda announced last Friday that it was pulling the plug on its Formula One efforts, leaving team chiefs Nick Fry and Ross Brawn with just a few weeks to find a buyer to keep the outfit afloat.

And although it is understood Richards is considering an involvement in a deal, he is well aware that the current business model for F1 teams must evolve if teams are going to be allowed to prosper.

Speaking at the Autosport Awards about whether he believed there was the prospect of Brawn and Fry finding a buyer, Richards said: "I certainly hope so.

"It's a great team and a great team of people, but it's a salutary lesson for the whole of F1 that things are going to have to change, and everything is going to have to come back a little bit if the whole sport is to prosper in the future - which I am sure it will do."

Sources suggest that Richards has been approached by two different consortiums – believed to be from the Middle East – asking him if he would be interested in running a team funded by them.

Speaking to The Daily Mail, however, Richards admitted that the current financial climate and changes that F1 are about to make, means it is far from certain he will decide to get involved.

"I'm keeping an open mind," he said. "You could say that the facilities Honda have make it an attractive proposition but I disagree. The overheads are not what would be needed in an age when Formula One is cutting costs. I won't rush into anything."

F1 unveils cost-cutting blueprint

A raft of measures have been agreed that should cut the budgets of Formula One teams by at least 30%.

Big savings will be made on engine costs, in-season testing and staff numbers, following a meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Monaco.

FIA boss Max Mosley had wanted all teams to use a "one size fits all" standardised Cosworth engine.

The teams rejected that proposal but have agreed to use lower-cost, longer-lasting engines from 2009.

From 2010 there will be a ban on refuelling and, subject to market research, Grand Prix distances could be shortened.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone's idea to decide the drivers' title with Olympic-style medals rather than points also needs further research, the sport's governing body said.

"I think this is probably the first step towards Formula One saving itself," said Mosley.

The independent teams will use engines costing less than £4.5m per season from 2009, supplied by an independent supplier or a manufacturer backed by guarantees of continuity.

The FIA estimates that this will provide a 50% saving for the independent teams. All the teams have committed to significant cuts in spending on engines.

Each team will be allowed to use a maximum of 20 engines per season and the power of the engines will be capped.

There will be no in-season testing from next season except during a race weekend and during scheduled practice.

The teams have also agreed that manpower will be reduced by a range of measures, including the sharing of information on tyres and fuel.

The FIA estimates the list of changes for 2009 will save the manufacturer teams approximately 30% of their budgets compared to 2008, with the savings for independent teams even greater.

"The teams have now really got behind the idea, and instead of being reluctant, they are being positive," Mosley added.

"But what's significant about these changes is when you walk down the pit lane, or you sit in the grandstand or watch television, you will notice no difference at all.

"But inevitably, in any industry, if you reduce the costs then you reduce the number of people.

"The teams currently employ between 700 and 1000 people just to put two cars on the grid. In any event, that is not sustainable."

PROPOSALS IN FULL:

Engines:

- From 2009, engine life to be doubled. Each driver to use maximum of eight engines per season; each team can use an additional four for testing

- Limited to 18,000 revs per minute.

- Cost to independent teams will be approximately 50% of 2008 prices.

- 2010 engine will continue to be used in 2011 and 2012.

Race weekend:

- From 2010, standardised radio and telemetry systems, a ban on tyre warmers, mechanical purging of tyres and refuelling on race weekends.

- Possible reduction in race distance or duration (proposal to follow after market research).

Research:

- No wind tunnel exceeding 60% scale and 50 metres per second to be used after 1 January 2009.

- Restrictions on aerodynamic research, combined with a full analysis of factory facilities.

- Factory closures for six weeks per year, to accord with local laws.

Other:

- From 2010, subject to confirmation of practicability, the same transmission will be used by all teams.

- FIA to compose a standard parts list for the chassis.

- FIA and Formula One Teams' Association to study possibility of an entirely new power train (engine and transmission) for 2013, based on energy efficiency.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7779168.stm

Prodrive out of the WRC - I wonder where Dave Richards is going to turn his attentions.... :P

Subaru pull out of world rallying

Subaru have become the latest team to withdraw from next year's World Rally Championship as the economic downturn continues to hit motorsport hard.

It comes a day after Suzuki also quit the WRC and less than a fortnight after Honda withdrew from Formula One.

Colin McRae, Richard Burns and Petter Solberg all won titles with the Japanese team in its 20-year history.

"This sudden decision is a response to the widespread downturn affecting the industry," Subaru said in a statement.

The team was established in 1989, when the manufacturer teamed up with Prodrive, a motorsport and automotive engineering group with dealings in the UK, Thailand and Australia.

"Subaru's departure from the World Rally Championship is a great loss as it is one of the sport's icons," added Prodrive chairman David Richards.

"Although this closes a significant chapter in Prodrive's history, our focus now turns to the future."

Richards, who also owns the commercial and media rights to the World Rally Championships, said the decision had been taken over the course of the weekend as the economic downturn claimed another victim in the world of sport.

"We had an urgent call for a meeting over the weekend," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Despite the fact that we have entered the championship for next year and were actually testing last week in Spain, Subaru just felt the sudden downturn in their business was so dramatic that they had to make some quick decisions."

Among his previous roles were stints as team principal at Formula One teams BAR and Benetton, and Prodrive may now look at a move into motorsport's highest tier.

The 56-year-old Richards admitted he would now have more time to think about such a step and said radical cost-cutting measures, which were announced by the sport's governing body last week, made a move into F1 more "realistic".

In the meantime, Prodrive has said it will be looking to redeploy staff assigned to the WRC programme, which accounts for around 20% of the company's turnover.

Subaru won six world titles in all, with the last coming with Solberg's victory in 2003. But recent years have been harder going for Subaru, with their last rally win coming in Mexico back in 2005.

Subaru's exit leaves just two manufacturers in next year's championship in the shape of Citroen and Ford.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...lly/7785299.stm

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Virgin latest to be linked to Honda

The Virgin Group is the latest company to be linked to the Honda Racing team as speculation over the squad's future continues.

Earlier this week there had been suggestions that a 'well known brand' was set to make a bid for the team, and now the Reuters news agency has reported that Richard Branson's Virgin empire is the company in question.

"They have made a bid to purchase the team," Reuters quoted a Honda source as saying.

Although Branson has attended Formula One races in the past, Virgin has never previously had a major role in the sport, bar minor sponsorship deals involving brands within the group.

The Honda Racing team are understood to be pressing ahead with preparations for the 2009 season, amid growing confidence that a potential management buy-out will succeed. A Mercedes engine deal is in the pipeline, and Jenson Button and Bruno Senna are a likely driver line-up should the current team bosses stay on.

The team have been up for sale since Honda decided to end its involvement in F1 in early December 2008.

Team America.... Fuck yeah!!! :mellow:

US team plans to enter F1 in 2010

The founders of a proposed Formula One team from the United States insist they are ready to enter the sport in 2010.

Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson, the duo behind the scheme, have said the cars will be built in North Carolina and driven by American drivers.

They also confirmed they have finance in place and that F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has given them his backing.

"I told Bernie Ecclestone about this in Brazil 2006, and he just said, 'great, get it done'," Windsor told Autosport.

"He has kept in touch ever since and has always been supportive."

Windsor, a journalist and television presenter, is a former Williams team manager and will assume the role of sporting director while Anderson has many years of experience in both F1 and Indy Car as a race engineer.

he current global economic crisis has forced many teams into cost cutting measures ahead of the new season on 29 March, while struggling Honda are still looking to find a buyer.

Despite this USF1 will not be be backed by a manufacturer or wealthy businessman, with Windsor saying they have put together a viable business plan that will work.

"If you look at the way it's gone in the recent past, it's been either you find a rich trillionaire and have him dominate, or you are lucky enough to be invited by a large car company to set up their F1 operation," he said.

"Ken and I have been around long enough to know we didn't want to do those things.

"We always wanted to do our own team our way. We have got some things we want to bring in.

"The key was not to selling anything more than a very small stake in the team.

"We set ourselves some unbelievably steep hills to climb in a recession, but we only wanted to sell a small part of the team, and, as we sit here now, I'm pleased to say we've done that and we're now two guys that can say we are going to do an F1 team because we have the capital to do it."

F1 has a rich history in north America and can boast two former world champions in Phil Hill and Mario Andretti.

However, races in America and Canada have recently been taken off the calendar and there are currently no US or Canadian drivers competing in the sport.

Danica Patrick, the first woman to compete in the Indy Car series in the US, has been linked with a seat with the new team as have former Torro Rosso driver Scott Speed, and Andretti's son 21-year-old Marco.

Anderson has admitted that Patrick would be an attractive proposition for USF1 and is keen to see if the 26-year-old would fancy becoming to first female F1 driver.

"Danica's great - she gets a lot of press," he said.

"IndyCar Series boss Tony George would probably be pretty mad with me if I took her out of the IRL (Indy Racing League), but we'll see.

"I don't know if it's something she wants to do. We'd certainly love to test her and go from there."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7909357.stm

Danica Patrick in an F1 car though? Fingers crossed she'd be more effective than Giovanna Amati.

Team America.... Fuck yeah!!! :mellow:

US team plans to enter F1 in 2010

The founders of a proposed Formula One team from the United States insist they are ready to enter the sport in 2010.

Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson, the duo behind the scheme, have said the cars will be built in North Carolina and driven by American drivers.

They also confirmed they have finance in place and that F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has given them his backing.

"I told Bernie Ecclestone about this in Brazil 2006, and he just said, 'great, get it done'," Windsor told Autosport.

"He has kept in touch ever since and has always been supportive."

Windsor, a journalist and television presenter, is a former Williams team manager and will assume the role of sporting director while Anderson has many years of experience in both F1 and Indy Car as a race engineer.

he current global economic crisis has forced many teams into cost cutting measures ahead of the new season on 29 March, while struggling Honda are still looking to find a buyer.

Despite this USF1 will not be be backed by a manufacturer or wealthy businessman, with Windsor saying they have put together a viable business plan that will work.

"If you look at the way it's gone in the recent past, it's been either you find a rich trillionaire and have him dominate, or you are lucky enough to be invited by a large car company to set up their F1 operation," he said.

"Ken and I have been around long enough to know we didn't want to do those things.

"We always wanted to do our own team our way. We have got some things we want to bring in.

"The key was not to selling anything more than a very small stake in the team.

"We set ourselves some unbelievably steep hills to climb in a recession, but we only wanted to sell a small part of the team, and, as we sit here now, I'm pleased to say we've done that and we're now two guys that can say we are going to do an F1 team because we have the capital to do it."

F1 has a rich history in north America and can boast two former world champions in Phil Hill and Mario Andretti.

However, races in America and Canada have recently been taken off the calendar and there are currently no US or Canadian drivers competing in the sport.

Danica Patrick, the first woman to compete in the Indy Car series in the US, has been linked with a seat with the new team as have former Torro Rosso driver Scott Speed, and Andretti's son 21-year-old Marco.

Anderson has admitted that Patrick would be an attractive proposition for USF1 and is keen to see if the 26-year-old would fancy becoming to first female F1 driver.

"Danica's great - she gets a lot of press," he said.

"IndyCar Series boss Tony George would probably be pretty mad with me if I took her out of the IRL (Indy Racing League), but we'll see.

"I don't know if it's something she wants to do. We'd certainly love to test her and go from there."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7909357.stm

Danica Patrick in an F1 car though? Fingers crossed she'd be more effective than Giovanna Amati.

Can you her imagine trying to get parked in the pits?

Marco Andretti being in F1 would be the first example of a third generation in the sport.

His Dad Michael drove for McLaren back in 1993 and his Grandad Mario was F1 World Champion in 1978 driving for Lotus.

• 3 weeks later...

Brawn GP (formerly Honda) are blitzing testing with Button and Barrichello being in a field of their own. The likes of Marc Gene, Nando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel have said that their respective teams cars are no where near the quality of Brawn GP. On short and long runs they're easily the fastest car out there. I've whacked some cashon Button winning the drivers title, just for shits and giggles B)

McLaren on the other hand have been shite. Propped up the timesheets in testing for most of this week and finally managed to drag themselves off the bottom today, although Hamiltonw as still only 8th fastest.

Edited by Ketsbaia

Brawn will be running a very light car to set some dazzling times and hopefully attract much needed sponsorship. Can't blame them for that.

There is some debate about how light their car is. Briatore is apparently in a huff and refuses to believe that they're doing anything other than set false times but Gene has came out and said no matter how little fuel they have in their car Ferrari would be unable to match them with the same amount and both Sam Michael and Sebastian Vettel has already came out and said they'll walk over everyone else at Melbourne at this rate. Different people in the paddock seem to have different opinions.

Button's big lap time that made everyone sit up and take notice was done on the third lap of a four lap run and similar quali-simulations from other teams didn't come close to knocking it off the board. It looks to me as if the fact they spent all of 2008 developing this seasons car is paying off big time.

Even more amazing is the fact i've stumbled across James Allen's blog and in print he's not half as annoying as he is on the television B)

Edited by Ketsbaia

That car is immense and I don't just mean for it due to being short on fuel. Got a couple of mates who live in Brackley and everyone in the town knows someone who works at the factory and they've all been gob-smacked by its potential long before they took to the track.

The car is already 1.2s a lap quicker than last year - that's a lifetime. I doubt they'll be challenging for regular race wins but I reckon they'll be in the points regularly.

McLaren are sand-bagging IMO although the car isn't as good as last years, i agree. They tend to take their time when there's major rule changes so they'll play catch up for a while.

Smart money is on Renault IMO - that thing looks like shit off a shovel.

That car is immense and I don't just mean for it due to being short on fuel. Got a couple of mates who live in Brackley and everyone in the town knows someone who works at the factory and they've all been gob-smacked by its potential long before they took to the track.

The car is already 1.2s a lap quicker than last year - that's a lifetime. I doubt they'll be challenging for regular race wins but I reckon they'll be in the points regularly.

McLaren are sand-bagging IMO although the car isn't as good as last years, i agree. They tend to take their time when there's major rule changes so they'll play catch up for a while.

Smart money is on Renault IMO - that thing looks like shit off a shovel.

Alonso has apparently came out and said he doesn't think they'll win a race this season. The car has been all over the shop really - fast as fuck one day and then undriveable the next.

I have a gut feeling McLaren will have a eureka moment in Jerez, much like BMW did last year and it will all come together.

McLaren are definitely bullshitting IMO - lulling the opposition into a false sense of security and what have you...

Bet they're out of the blocks like a whippet on March 29th.

The Renault is good too - think Alonso is trying to do the same.

I bet he's gutted he got given the elbow when all these new rule changes are being brought in. He'd have had so much to waffle on about.

Is it just me or is that 'official' site of his simply a blogspot page? B)

I bet he's gutted he got given the elbow when all these new rule changes are being brought in. He'd have had so much to waffle on about.

Is it just me or is that 'official' site of his simply a blogspot page? B)

Wordpress FYI :angry: