The F1 2008 thread

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The right man won the title (just as last year actually as Raikkonen deserved it more than Hamilton in 2007).

it should have been all academic really as Hamilton should have been WDC before the race started had it not been for the FIA and stewards in Belgium.

Boy what a finish though :lol:

The right man won the title (just as last year actually as Raikkonen deserved it more than Hamilton in 2007).

it should have been all academic really as Hamilton should have been WDC before the race started had it not been for the FIA and stewards in Belgium.

Boy what a finish though :lol:

Completely agree. The title race was only this close because of some dodgy stewards decisions. Imagine if Massa had won the title by the one point he gained due to the Bourdais penalty in Japan.

Felt sorry for Massa himself as he did everything he could, but his family shouldn't have started jumping around until it was over.

This being F1, I expect Ferrari will be demanding to look at the telemetry from Glock's car.

What could they realistically do to Glock? Disqualify him? :lol: Move him up a place? :lol:

Hell of a punishment that would be ;)

What an odd finish like. I reckon Hamilton deserved it over the whole season, especially after some harsh penalties he's had (and some justified mind). He interesting to hear what happened to glock.

Glock lost 18 seconds to Hamilton on the last lap... :lol:

I think it was HF who earlier said Hamilton did try to throw it away. On thr contrary, pitting 5 laps from the end is what won him the title. Had he stayed out on slicks, he'd have been way down the field by time he crossed the line and the title would have been most definitely Massa's...

He's not the best racer in F1 (despite what Fat-boy Blundell would have you believe). Alonso is far and away the best pound for pound driver on the current grid. Hamilton though does have the best setup of all and in that, I include his family.

F1's first 'manufacturered' WDC - be interesting to see if other teams follow McLaren's lead.

Next year could see the return of the name Senna in F1. And I for one am looking forward to seeing Ayrton's nephew in a Torro Rosso.

I'm glad Lewis won it, I dont dislike Massa but I think overall Lewis deserved it. Massa definitely benefited from some harsh decisions against McLaren over the season.

I could barely watch those last few laps :lol:

Being as Senna is still my number one hero, I'd love to see Bruno in F1 next season. Has it been definitely announced then Craig?

Nope.... it's still pending but Gerhard has a soft spot for Bruno for obvious reasons....

The real racers think Pantano deserves the seat more and they're probably right. Thing is, if it does go Senna's way, I hope we hear none of this "i don't want to be known as Ayrton's nephew". It'll be for that very reason he gets the nod IMO.

Very talented driver, not as passionate (but then who is really!) as Ayrton but worthy all the same.

I think Bruno Senna could replace Barrichello at Honda. Nothing official yet though, TR.

That puts an interesting perspective on it seing as Barrichello was Senna's (snr) protege. BTW did you notice Rubens had a yellow helmet today, was that some sort of tribute to Ayrton Senna?

EDIT: just checked Getty Images and it was a Yellow/Red number so obviously not a tribute..

From Autosport:

Timo Glock said he was not aware that he was influencing the championship over the final laps of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

The Toyota driver was running in fifth place, ahead of Lewis Hamilton, who needed that position in order to secure the title, ahead of the final lap.

Glock had decided not to pit when the rain began to fall at Interlagos, a decision that put him ahead of Hamilton.

The German, however, was on dry weather tyres and was unable to keep Hamilton at bay, the Briton going on to pass him at the final corner to win the title.

Glock admitted he had no idea he was in a position to decide the championship.

"No, I was concentrating on my race. I didn't know that I was the magic rule in the championship and in the end, I didn't look for that," Glock told reporters after the race.

"I just tried to do my best, and in the end it was a poker game. We stayed out on dry tyres and for the last lap it was just too much rain for us. We were not unlucky but the poker game did not turn out for us."

He added: "I really don't know where Lewis overtook me because four cars past me left and right, left and right. I was just concentrating to keep the car on the track. That was the only way.

"To handover and help Lewis or help Felipe, definitely not. In a race situation like this, you can never plan before and definitely there were no thoughts about that.

"When you see the laptime, the lap before I did a 1m28, and on that last lap I did a 1m48. It was just not driveable anymore."

The Toyota driver said he felt sorry for Felipe Massa, but he was sure the Brazilian understands his position.

"I think he is the guy who understands quite well that I could not do anything different to that what I did at the end of the last lap. I am sorry for him, but in the end the last race is definitely the decider of the championship.

"But the main point is the 17 races before, and there were more races where Felipe was a bit unlucky and didn't score the points because of technical problems. But in the end, to lose a championship on the last lap is hard - but I tried my best and I cannot change it."

From Autosport:
Timo Glock said he was not aware that he was influencing the championship over the final laps of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

The Toyota driver was running in fifth place, ahead of Lewis Hamilton, who needed that position in order to secure the title, ahead of the final lap.

Glock had decided not to pit when the rain began to fall at Interlagos, a decision that put him ahead of Hamilton.

The German, however, was on dry weather tyres and was unable to keep Hamilton at bay, the Briton going on to pass him at the final corner to win the title.

Glock admitted he had no idea he was in a position to decide the championship.

"No, I was concentrating on my race. I didn't know that I was the magic rule in the championship and in the end, I didn't look for that," Glock told reporters after the race.

"I just tried to do my best, and in the end it was a poker game. We stayed out on dry tyres and for the last lap it was just too much rain for us. We were not unlucky but the poker game did not turn out for us."

He added: "I really don't know where Lewis overtook me because four cars past me left and right, left and right. I was just concentrating to keep the car on the track. That was the only way.

"To handover and help Lewis or help Felipe, definitely not. In a race situation like this, you can never plan before and definitely there were no thoughts about that.

"When you see the laptime, the lap before I did a 1m28, and on that last lap I did a 1m48. It was just not driveable anymore."

The Toyota driver said he felt sorry for Felipe Massa, but he was sure the Brazilian understands his position.

"I think he is the guy who understands quite well that I could not do anything different to that what I did at the end of the last lap. I am sorry for him, but in the end the last race is definitely the decider of the championship.

"But the main point is the 17 races before, and there were more races where Felipe was a bit unlucky and didn't score the points because of technical problems. But in the end, to lose a championship on the last lap is hard - but I tried my best and I cannot change it."

That sounds like he would rather have had Massa win it.

I get the impression Lewis (or maybe more his Dad) isnt very well liked in the pit lane.

Nope.... it's still pending but Gerhard has a soft spot for Bruno for obvious reasons....

The real racers think Pantano deserves the seat more and they're probably right. Thing is, if it does go Senna's way, I hope we hear none of this "i don't want to be known as Ayrton's nephew". It'll be for that very reason he gets the nod IMO.

Very talented driver, not as passionate (but then who is really!) as Ayrton but worthy all the same.

Bruno Senna is still very raw (I believe he gave up karting for a few years in his youth after Ayrton's death and his father was killed in a road accident only to come back to it later) but that could be a positive, as it means he's still load of potential development. He is also a sponsors dream with that name combined with his very charming personality. He'll be good, but he's not a genius.