New songs at the match

Guest Stevie

It's ALWAYS first verse and chorus and that's it.

Anyone trying to start it any later than "I went to Blaydon races..." would have been beaten to death by now

Fact.

It ALWAYS starts with "I went to Blaydon Races..."

I can't believe anyone is arguing otherwise?!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - it starts with...

I went to Blaydon Races, Twas on the 9th of June

Eighteen hundred and sixty two on a summers afternoon

We took the bus from Balbras, she was heaven laden

The next line is wrong, it should be "Away we went alang Collingwood Street, that's on the road to Blaydon" - we sing "Gannin alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races".

Whos this 'we' you speak of? Cos never in my history of going to the match have i heard the song sung from beginning to end

Do you never go to games like? If you have never heard that, I can only assume you have never been to a match.

You talking shit mate, Ive been to hundreds of matches and im telling you now, the crowd has never sung the full Blaydon races 'during' the match

Agreed, I cant remember it ever being sung in full.

Flintoff didn't say it was. Just that the first verse was always sang (in some form). J69 changed it to "from start to end" and now they're arguing about different things.

;) Exactly.

Whos this 'we' you speak of? Cos never in my history of going to the match have i heard the song sung from beginning to end

Do you never go to games like? If you have never heard that, I can only assume you have never been to a match.

Get fucked

Get fucked

I love it when you try to be clever and look even more stupid.

Get fucked

;) What are yee smoking?

Am i the only one who understands this?

J69 - Never at the match have I heard the song sung from beginning to end

Flintoff - if you have never heard that. . . you have never been to a match

Peasepud - Ive never heard it in full either

Happy - Flintoff didnt say it was

er... yes he did

Edited by J69

Fuck me ;)

It's obvious what he was on about. You were the only one who brought up the full song. He was on about the first verse and the chorus.

Am i the only one who understands this?

J69 - Never at the match have I heard the song sung from beginning to end

Flintoff - if you have never heard that. . . you have never been to a match

Peasepud - Ive never heard it in full either

Happy - Flintoff didnt say it was

er... yes he did

I did NOT say it was sung fully. I said it always starts with "I went to Blaydon Races". You claimed you'd never heard that sung, I said you must never have been to a game in that case. Comprende?

Fuck me ;)

It's obvious what he was on about. You were the only one who brought up the full song. He was on about the first verse and the chorus.

Obvious to everyone but me and Pud by the sounds of it

Pud only read your post I'd guess rather than the rest of the thread. What's your excuse? :icon_lol:

I fucking give up

Do you honestly think you're in the right here? Or are you just incapable of admitting you're wrong?

No I honestly thought he meant he had heard the whole song at the match. Which I can be forgiven for as thats what he inferred

No - it starts with...

I went to Blaydon Races, Twas on the 9th of June

Eighteen hundred and sixty two on a summers afternoon

We took the bus from Balbras, she was heaven laden

The next line is wrong, it should be "Away we went alang Collingwood Street, that's on the road to Blaydon" - we sing "Gannin alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races".

There's the origin of this unfortunate confusion.

For some reason you thought that Flintoff had written out the whole song.

Which he hadn't.

Guest Stevie
Gannin along the scotswood road

Nah, most people sing that incorrectly at the end of the first verse though. Myself included.

Yes. It's always been sung incorrectly since I've been there going back to the mid 80's. J69 NER NERRRRRRRRR X

:)so im right? Just cos somethings been sung wrong for 20 years doesnt suddenly change the words mongo

No. He was agreeing with me.

Alex, when was the last time you heard ANY of the verses sung during the actual match? Most people only know 4 lines, and they cant even get them right

It normally starts with the first verse. Then the chorus. That's about all you get. That wasn't even the point I was making though, I was saying Stevie was agreeing with me. At least I think he was. Because the last line of the first verse is wrong when sung at the match. It should be "Away we went alang Collingwood Street, that's on the road to Blaydon" but people sing "Gannin' along the Scotswood Road...." instead.

The kid is a mongo, I was agreeing with you, we've always sung the incorrect version on TBR. How would I not know the Blaydon Races Jonathan you fucking Durham born fool. See us people on Tyneside, when we're in primary school, the teacher used to get all emotional on the piano, playing it at least once a week, and we knew all the words back to front.

To say I went to a staunch Catholic school, we used to get taught more 100-200 year old Tyneside songs than hims.

I cannot get to my love if I would dee the waters of Tyne run between him and me... etc....

Edited by Stevie

J69 reckoned he'd never heard any of the verses sang at the match btw. I'm just pointing that out because I'd hate anyone reading this to think he wasn't talking shite :)

Im telling you man, doesnt matter where ive sat in the ground, whenever the blaydon races starts up people sing

Oh me lads, you should have seen us gannin

gannin along the scotswood road just as they were standin

all the lads and lasses there, all with smilin faces

gannin along the scotswood road, to see the blaydon races

Have a listen next time your at the match

I've heard plenty people sing it like that tbf. Better than silence though.

Heard the first verse plenty times too, but loads of people only join in at the chorus.

hi,

first post on here but often have a gander and have been meaning to sign up for ages

anyhow, living in Bristol for the last year or so, but get to as many away games as funds allow for the last few seasons now, and first one this weekend for the season. Me and a mate were walking back from the pub after the Coventry game (mates a Cov fan) and for some drunk reason i decided to belate him with songs all the way home, ending up singing this for about 10minutes and me and a mate plan on singin it in a few pubs at the weekend before kick off

(to the champiarno, champiarno, ole ole ole!)

collocini, collocini, ole ole ole!!

been racking me brains today trying to think of something for the ole bit instead but kinda goes with the song and usually the simplist ones pick up the easiest and spread round the crowd quicker for a better atmosphere

anyway thats me two cents, and if there are any toon fans in bristol let me know!

Edited by scotty84