Top 10 Conspiracy theories

Jimbo

Tangent Time....

Anyone read Underworld by Graham Hancock? He has a theory that relatively advanced (Ancient Egypt level of advancement for e.g.)societies existed previous to the last Ice Age, the physical traces of which were submerged by the melt water.

Good read that covers alot more than I can post here, answers alot of "land Mysteries"

OMG I had forgotten the old Atlantis theories- I used to love all of that stuff. I used to love arguing that it was true with people to wind them up (foptastic) and ended up believing it myself. my personal favourite theory being the Antarctica once having been Atlantis and for Hapgood's Earth Crustal Shift hypothesis

Atlantis wasn't all it is cracked up to be. :D

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tangent Time....

Anyone read Underworld by Graham Hancock? He has a theory that relatively advanced (Ancient Egypt level of advancement for e.g.)societies existed previous to the last Ice Age, the physical traces of which were submerged by the melt water.

Good read that covers alot more than I can post here, answers alot of "land Mysteries"

OMG I had forgotten the old Atlantis theories- I used to love all of that stuff. I used to love arguing that it was true with people to wind them up (foptastic) and ended up believing it myself. my personal favourite theory being the Antarctica once having been Atlantis and for Hapgood's Earth Crustal Shift hypothesis

You got me there... :D

Never heard that one

treat yourself - its a great read

Fingerprints of the Gods - Graham Hancock

Review

Poking about through an assortment of grand earthly mysteries, Hancock (The Sign and the Seal, 1992) cobbles together a fascinating theory that proposes a lost civilization lying behind the conundrums. Why is it that the ruins of central America appear to show such a profound knowledge of spherical trigonometry millennia before that branch of mathematics was to find currency in the West? How is it that the great temples in Peru and Egypt show a clear understanding of the precession of the equinoxes way prior to its "discovery" by Hipparchus? All of these ancient monuments depict bearded Caucasian men in their sculpture. Pourquoi? Drawing on an amazing wealth of materials - from a close reading of mythology to geological texts, from archaeo-astronomy to rarefied mathematics - Hancock devises a theory that posits a highly evolved civilization that was wiped clear off the face of the earth during the cataclysmic happenings that attended the retreat of the last ice sheet. A resulting massive crustal displacement in turn might have buried the evidence of this advanced culture, leaving only a few survivors to pass on their knowledge to succeeding generations. Egyptian, Olmec, Mayan, and Aztec civilizations all speak of men - Viracocha, Quetzalcoatl, the bearded men - who brought great wisdom into their midst (though why they didn't pass along the principle of the wheel to the Maya is an equal mystery). Where did these learned men come from? Hancock has evidence to suggest Antarctica, explained via a combination of crust movement and the odd fact that the topography of Queen Maud Land appears on a map dated 1513, when it was - and had for millennia been - under ice. He also has evidence that the next apocalypse may be just around the corner. A fancy piece of historical sleuthing - breathless, but intriguing and entertaining and sturdy enough to give a long pause for thought. (Kirkus Reviews)

Tangent Time....

Never heard that one

Review

Poking about through an assortment of grand earthly mysteries, Hancock (The Sign and the Seal, 1992) cobbles together a fascinating theory that proposes a lost civilization lying behind the conundrums. Why is it that the ruins of central America appear to show such a profound knowledge of spherical trigonometry millennia before that branch of mathematics was to find currency in the West? How is it that the great temples in Peru and Egypt show a clear understanding of the precession of the equinoxes way prior to its "discovery" by Hipparchus? All of these ancient monuments depict bearded Caucasian men in their sculpture. Pourquoi? Drawing on an amazing wealth of materials - from a close reading of mythology to geological texts, from archaeo-astronomy to rarefied mathematics - Hancock devises a theory that posits a highly evolved civilization that was wiped clear off the face of the earth during the cataclysmic happenings that attended the retreat of the last ice sheet. A resulting massive crustal displacement in turn might have buried the evidence of this advanced culture, leaving only a few survivors to pass on their knowledge to succeeding generations. Egyptian, Olmec, Mayan, and Aztec civilizations all speak of men - Viracocha, Quetzalcoatl, the bearded men - who brought great wisdom into their midst (though why they didn't pass along the principle of the wheel to the Maya is an equal mystery). Where did these learned men come from? Hancock has evidence to suggest Antarctica, explained via a combination of crust movement and the odd fact that the topography of Queen Maud Land appears on a map dated 1513, when it was - and had for millennia been - under ice. He also has evidence that the next apocalypse may be just around the corner. A fancy piece of historical sleuthing - breathless, but intriguing and entertaining and sturdy enough to give a long pause for thought. (Kirkus Reviews)

You got a beard Fop?

Cheers, read that way back,iirc.

What I liked about Underworld was that he avoided the "myths and gods" approach, and came at the same theory from an evidence based approach.Made a ,let's be honest,wild theory sound very credible.

The section about the Hypogeum in Malta, and the level of society needed to produce such a thing , was the thing that hooked me :D

Tangent Time....

Never heard that one

Review

You got a beard Fop?

Yes.... yes I do.

LouFerrigno7.jpg531701097_79f7986ae7.jpg_40967048_mel_gibson_beard203ap.jpg

Tangent Time....

Never heard that one

Review

You got a beard Fop?

Yes.... yes I do.

LouFerrigno7.jpg531701097_79f7986ae7.jpg_40967048_mel_gibson_beard203ap.jpg

So are you more Mel, or the posing tart top right? :aye:

Tangent Time....

Never heard that one

Review

Aye good read. Certainly a topic that makes you ponder. This more recent book is quite good also, delving into the same subject matter;

From Atlantis to the Sphinx - Colin Wilson

If erosion on the Sphinx was indeed created by flooding, then it blows apart history as we know it. I might be cynical here but Dr Zawi Hawass (Head of Egyptian Antiquities) hasn't really help in dispelling these theories either, actually you could argue he has flamed them more by refusing to take them seriously.

Also on the subject of Atlantis while it has been speculated that it may lie in Bimini Atoll, Antarctica, or Thira another interesting place is off the coast of one of Japan's Southern most islands. It's one of those 50/50 topics where some argue it's man made, while others argue it's natural as the site is underwater. Some University in Japan has scientifically dated these structures to 10,000BC. Again, if true it blows apart history as we know it.

The Yonaguni Structures.

"If erosion on the Sphinx was indeed created by flooding, then it blows apart history as we know it. I might be cynical here but Dr Zawi Hawass (Head of Egyptian Antiquities) hasn't really help in dispelling these theories either, actually you could argue he has flamed them more by refusing to take them seriously."

it could also mean he's sick of nutters and wants to get on withe job he's paid for I guess

"Also on the subject of Atlantis while it has been speculated that it may lie in Bimini Atoll, Antarctica, or Thira another interesting place is off the coast of one of Japan's Southern most islands. It's one of those 50/50 topics where some argue it's man made, while others argue it's natural as the site is underwater. Some University in Japan has scientifically dated these structures to 10,000BC. Again, if true it blows apart history as we know it."

Well if Atlantis is off Japan it means the story was transferred to the Ancient Greeks by an early version of the web I guess

And you have to remember that sea level changes quite dramatically even around the UK - you could walk to Denmark a few thousand years back . Plus in an earthquake zone any buildings may have just been faulted down below water

"If erosion on the Sphinx was indeed created by flooding, then it blows apart history as we know it. I might be cynical here but Dr Zawi Hawass (Head of Egyptian Antiquities) hasn't really help in dispelling these theories either, actually you could argue he has flamed them more by refusing to take them seriously."

it could also mean he's sick of nutters and wants to get on withe job he's paid for I guess

:D

Yes, that's a possibility, but he doesn't like the theory that technology, ideology, and customs may not be indigenous.

"Also on the subject of Atlantis while it has been speculated that it may lie in Bimini Atoll, Antarctica, or Thira another interesting place is off the coast of one of Japan's Southern most islands. It's one of those 50/50 topics where some argue it's man made, while others argue it's natural as the site is underwater. Some University in Japan has scientifically dated these structures to 10,000BC. Again, if true it blows apart history as we know it."

Well if Atlantis is off Japan it means the story was transferred to the Ancient Greeks by an early version of the web I guess

And you have to remember that sea level changes quite dramatically even around the UK - you could walk to Denmark a few thousand years back . Plus in an earthquake zone any buildings may have just been faulted down below water

Or it could mean there was a civilisation that rivaled Atlantis in the same time period. Mu, Lumeria?.. only in folklore currently but so was Troy not too long ago.

I'm well aware of changing sea levels. I'm also well aware of shifting geology, hence why it's possible that the structures off Japan are man made and are now deep below sea level.

Yes, that's a possibility, but he doesn't like the theory that technology, ideology, and customs may not be indigenous.

Or it could mean there was a civilisation that rivaled Atlantis in the same time period. Mu, Lumeria?.. only in folklore currently but so was Troy not too long ago.

I'm well aware of changing sea levels. I'm also well aware of shifting geology, hence why it's possible that the structures off Japan are man made and are now deep below sea level.

Hawass and the Egyptian Govt are basically peddling lies.

Hawass and the Egyptian Govt are basically peddling lies.

Not telling lies, just not seeking evidence to dispel alternate theories. The only theory he has dispelled is the Pyramid/alien connection. But anyone with an ounce of knowledge about the subject would have known that that was bollocks. Aliens didn't create the pyramids, man did, Egyptians. But the watermarks on the sphinx theory has been avoided by Hawass. He's a nationalist, and a traditionalist. What has been written should stay that way. :aye:

How to tell the differance Part ii

He's got the base names right, but he's peddling shit/disinformation/selling his book.

America has a presence but doesn't control Milabs in the U.K.

Edited by Park Life

:aye:

Hawass and the Egyptian Goat are basically peddling lies.

Never trust Goats (even though they can be quite persuasive). :D