2008 your musical year

sammynb

Coldcut, christ that takes me back. ;)

Can some geek do me a list of albums I should have purchased in 2008?

David Kelly did a few pages back.

Can you do one please? And break it down into genres..thanks. :aye:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portishead

TV On The Radio

The Hold Steady

Jamie Liddell

M83

Tindersticks

The Helio Sequence

Helvetia

Atmosphere

Airborne Toxic Event

Rural Alberta Advantage

The Instruments

Santogold

Deerhunter

Okervill River

Mercury Rev

Spiritualized

The Breeders

The Mountain Goats

BSS Present Brendan Canning

Son Lux

Thao

Those are probably my favourite ones from my previous post. If someone else (HF Probably) wants to describe what they are like because I'm crap at things like that. If there's any that HF doesn't know I'll chip in.

Portishead

TV On The Radio

The Hold Steady

Jamie Liddell

M83

Tindersticks

The Helio Sequence

Helvetia

Atmosphere

Airborne Toxic Event

Rural Alberta Advantage

The Instruments

Santogold

Deerhunter

Okervill River

Mercury Rev

Spiritualized

The Breeders

The Mountain Goats

BSS Present Brendan Canning

Son Lux

Thao

Those are probably my favourite ones from my previous post. If someone else (HF Probably) wants to describe what they are like because I'm crap at things like that. If there's any that HF doesn't know I'll chip in.

Yeah get on with it you two. ;)

The Hold Steady is Springsteen-esque rock, TV on The Radio are the Brooklyn king-pins of weird electronic music and are quite funky, Jamie Liddell is a soul singer that has these really great electronic/disco type soul songs, Atmosphere's album is "When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold" so that should be the only review you need.

Brendan Canning is 80s pop (If I'm thinking of the right BSS Presents. Might be Kevin Drew, that one) anyway, it's worth checking out. Santogold sounds a bit like MIA, if MIA wrote pop songs in the 70s.

Also, from my list; The Week That Was is baroque pop with some brilliant drumming (whack the bass up full and put it in your stereo), Pete Molinari is like a child of the Dust Bowl and Laura Marling is worth downloading for her voice alone. Bon Iver is a folk album which was recorded in some godforsaken forest and it really shows as it's extremely raw but makes for great listening. I love the multi-tracking he used on his choruses too.

The Hold Steady is Springsteen-esque rock, TV on The Radio are the Brooklyn king-pins of weird electronic music and are quite funky, Jamie Liddell is a soul singer that has these really great electronic/disco type soul songs, Atmosphere's album is "When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold" so that should be the only review you need.

Brendan Canning is 80s pop (If I'm thinking of the right BSS Presents. Might be Kevin Drew, that one) anyway, it's worth checking out. Santogold sounds a bit like MIA, if MIA wrote pop songs in the 70s.

Also, from my list; The Week That Was is baroque pop with some brilliant drumming (whack the bass up full and put it in your stereo), Pete Molinari is like a child of the Dust Bowl and Laura Marling is worth downloading for her voice alone. Bon Iver is a folk album which was recorded in some godforsaken forest and it really shows as it's extremely raw but makes for great listening. I love the multi-tracking he used on his choruses too.

TV On The Radio aren't that weird, I remember Return To Cookie Mountain getting a big push in HMV in the Metrocentre when it was released a couple of years ago. Probably one of the best bands going at the minute.

Just for those like Parky to whom a name means nada.....

RAAAWK!

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! - Good time fun from the bloke I thought was a miserablist. Best Moment = Today's Lesson (3:29)

Elbow - Seldom seen kid - Wheras Coldplay do the U2 trick off over producing the biggest stadium rock sound they possibly can, Elbow create some absolutley MASSIVE tracks with none of it sounding as forced, just an overdriven guitar is all you need. Best Moment = Grounds for Divorce (1:15)

Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer - Another group with a track called Grounds for divorce ;) That was on the last album though, this one is almost as good as that classic. Best Moment = Language City (4:13)

TV on the Radio - Dear Science - Just found out in this thread they're too popular to like :aye: I've not been so sad since The Arcade Fire sold too many records. Anyway, I'm sure it's ok to like this rock, Dudes with afros are great. Best Moment = Dancing Choose (2:17)

Black Mountain - In The Future - Can sprawl off into lengthy bouts of tedium, but when they've got a crunchy riff and they can keep it succinct there's nothing better. Like on Best Moment = Stormy High (2:45)

Extreme - Saudades de Rock - Don't anyone bother. Just a personal thing. Favourite rock band of my youth after Queen droppedreunited in full. Best Moment = Take Us Alive (0:00)

Marnie Stern - This Is It and I Am It and You Are It and So Is That and He Is It and She Is It and It Is It and That Is That - If it was the eighties again and Eddie Van Halen was a woman and he wanted to release something up there with Eruption, he'd release this. Best Moment = Roads? Where we're going we don't need Roads (0:38)

PAAAWP!

Vampire Weekend - This years Strokes with a bit of Paul Simon hoyed in. Unfortunately overhyped before the album even came out. Best Moment = Walcott (2:46)

Camille - Music Hole - French mentalist makes like the bloke in Police Academy and builds songs on the whole around noises from her music hole. Best Moment = Money Note (4:28 - she just wants to beat Mariah)

Jamie Lidell - Jim - Full on pop departure. You know on Midnite Vultures when Beck tried to do Prince but fell short? Well Jamie Lidell does too, but he has a far better crack at it. Best Moment = Hurricaine (2:26)

Hot Chip - Made In The Dark - I can't be doing with the slower tracks, but the first half of the album is almost perfect and more than makes up for the second half. The great thing is, other people have the opposite opinion. Best Moment = Out At The Pictures (1:06)

Santogold - Santogold - I'm going to be lazy and say she's this years M.I.A. She's not really, but basically she is. Spank Rock are involved too, wahey. Best Moment = Lights Out

Girl Talk - Feed The Animals - An onslaught of sample after sample of the most popular tracks. The samples are so short he can give it away for free without clearance on any of them. Best Moment = Dip in at any moment and it'll be good, and if it's not it will be within 15 seconds.

The Dodos - Visiter - Not really Pop but I don't have too much acousticy stuff. Some gorgeous stuuff. Best Moment = Joe's Waltz (3:50)

Jim Noir - Jim Noir - Might find it sickly sweet like Andrew Bird or The Boy Least Likely To, personally I think it's the loveliest bounciest most uplifting thing out this year. Best Moment = Happy Day Today

Bon Iver - As I say, one I'm only just coming round to. Far too depressing to enjoy, But some of it just cuts your heart in two.

Laura Marling - Alas I cannot Swim - Just a young lass who writes and sings some of the lovliest songs on her acoustic.

HIP HAAWP!

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold - Though it doesn't have any one track as good as That Night off the last album, there's still lots to enjoy with a bitter edge. Best Moment = You (Fraggle Rock Stylee)

Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip - Angles - The rule is that British Rap can only be done for laughs and that's largely how he plays it, very well, but Letter From God To Man is brilliant without self mocking, and luckily Radiohead agreed to the sample that delayed an official release for so long. Best Moment = Letter From God To Man (3:00 - gets all drum and bass on your arse)

The Cool Kids - The Bake Sale - Stripped down to the bare minimum flicking it's nose at the shite in the charts, just flows and beats from start to finish. Best Moment = Mikey Rocks

GZA/Genius - Pro Tools - To be honest, I've not got throught the whole album. I include it only because 0% Finance has had more listens than any GZA track on my ipod than Liquid Swords. Truly a one track classic.

ELECTRAAAWNIC!

Fujiya & Miyagi - Last year wasn't it? Either way, absolutley brilliant

Ratatat - LP3 - They drop the rap and go all out electric. Best Moment = Shiller (put some good headphones on and turn it up full)

Fuck Buttons - Noise, distortion, wailing banshees ten minute dirges. It's all lush, especially when accompanied by delicate bells and that. Best Moment = Sweet Love For Mother Earth (6:05)

NOMO - Ghost Rock - This one beat me. Had to check Amazon. "owes as much to Can, Eno, and MIA as it does to Kuti, Francis Bebey, and Funkadelic. There's no loss of steam as this Michigan collective incorporates new influences. NOMO breaks through with a matured and developed sound that's fully their own. They've shared stages with Earth Wind And Fire, Konono No. 1, Sharon Jones, and Dan Deacon. RIYL: Konono No. 1, Can, Fela Kuti, Charles Mingus, MIA, Radiohead." So there you are. Best Moment = Brainwave

Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair - Another one track album as far as I'm concerned, Hercules Theme is quality.

RAAAWK!

[Jim Noir - Jim Noir - Might find it sickly sweet like Andrew Bird or The Boy Least Likely To, personally I think it's the loveliest bounciest most uplifting thing out this year. Best Moment = Happy Day Today

Two of my favourites mentioned there. I actually think Jim Noir sounds quite a bit like Super Furry Animals although I don't know much of their stuff.

[HIP HAAWP!

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold - Though it doesn't have any one track as good as That Night off the last album, there's still lots to enjoy with a bitter edge. Best Moment = You (Fraggle Rock Stylee)

Glass house is my favourite off this. Brillliant summer album (much like Jamie Liddle).

[Fujiya & Miyagi - Last year wasn't it? Either way, absolutley brilliant

Lightbulbs? This year surely.

[Fujiya & Miyagi - Last year wasn't it? Either way, absolutley brilliant

Lightbulbs? This year surely.

I'm miles behind.

Well that's something to look forward too.

Apparently not as good as the last one which I've spectacularly failed to get a hold of so far. Very good though.

RAAAWK!

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! - Good time fun from the bloke I thought was a miserablist. Best Moment = Today's Lesson (3:29)

Elbow - Seldom seen kid - Wheras Coldplay do the U2 trick off over producing the biggest stadium rock sound they possibly can, Elbow create some absolutley MASSIVE tracks with none of it sounding as forced, just an overdriven guitar is all you need. Best Moment = Grounds for Divorce (1:15)

Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer - Another group with a track called Grounds for divorce ;) That was on the last album though, this one is almost as good as that classic. Best Moment = Language City (4:13)

TV on the Radio - Dear Science - Just found out in this thread they're too popular to like :aye: I've not been so sad since The Arcade Fire sold too many records. Anyway, I'm sure it's ok to like this rock, Dudes with afros are great. Best Moment = Dancing Choose (2:17)

Black Mountain - In The Future - Can sprawl off into lengthy bouts of tedium, but when they've got a crunchy riff and they can keep it succinct there's nothing better. Like on Best Moment = Stormy High (2:45)

Extreme - Saudades de Rock - Don't anyone bother. Just a personal thing. Favourite rock band of my youth after Queen droppedreunited in full. Best Moment = Take Us Alive (0:00)

Marnie Stern - This Is It and I Am It and You Are It and So Is That and He Is It and She Is It and It Is It and That Is That - If it was the eighties again and Eddie Van Halen was a woman and he wanted to release something up there with Eruption, he'd release this. Best Moment = Roads? Where we're going we don't need Roads (0:38)

PAAAWP!

Vampire Weekend - This years Strokes with a bit of Paul Simon hoyed in. Unfortunately overhyped before the album even came out. Best Moment = Walcott (2:46)

Camille - Music Hole - French mentalist makes like the bloke in Police Academy and builds songs on the whole around noises from her music hole. Best Moment = Money Note (4:28 - she just wants to beat Mariah)

Jamie Lidell - Jim - Full on pop departure. You know on Midnite Vultures when Beck tried to do Prince but fell short? Well Jamie Lidell does too, but he has a far better crack at it. Best Moment = Hurricaine (2:26)

Hot Chip - Made In The Dark - I can't be doing with the slower tracks, but the first half of the album is almost perfect and more than makes up for the second half. The great thing is, other people have the opposite opinion. Best Moment = Out At The Pictures (1:06)

Santogold - Santogold - I'm going to be lazy and say she's this years M.I.A. She's not really, but basically she is. Spank Rock are involved too, wahey. Best Moment = Lights Out

Girl Talk - Feed The Animals - An onslaught of sample after sample of the most popular tracks. The samples are so short he can give it away for free without clearance on any of them. Best Moment = Dip in at any moment and it'll be good, and if it's not it will be within 15 seconds.

The Dodos - Visiter - Not really Pop but I don't have too much acousticy stuff. Some gorgeous stuuff. Best Moment = Joe's Waltz (3:50)

Jim Noir - Jim Noir - Might find it sickly sweet like Andrew Bird or The Boy Least Likely To, personally I think it's the loveliest bounciest most uplifting thing out this year. Best Moment = Happy Day Today

Bon Iver - As I say, one I'm only just coming round to. Far too depressing to enjoy, But some of it just cuts your heart in two.

Laura Marling - Alas I cannot Swim - Just a young lass who writes and sings some of the lovliest songs on her acoustic.

HIP HAAWP!

Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip - Angles - The rule is that British Rap can only be done for laughs and that's largely how he plays it, very well, but Letter From God To Man is brilliant without self mocking, and luckily Radiohead agreed to the sample that delayed an official release for so long. Best Moment = Letter From God To Man (3:00 - gets all drum and bass on your arse)

The Cool Kids - The Bake Sale - Stripped down to the bare minimum flicking it's nose at the shite in the charts, just flows and beats from start to finish. Best Moment = Mikey Rocks

GZA/Genius - Pro Tools - To be honest, I've not got throught the whole album. I include it only because 0% Finance has had more listens than any GZA track on my ipod than Liquid Swords. Truly a one track classic.

ELECTRAAAWNIC!

Fujiya & Miyagi - Last year wasn't it? Either way, absolutley brilliant

Ratatat - LP3 - They drop the rap and go all out electric. Best Moment = Shiller (put some good headphones on and turn it up full)

Fuck Buttons - Noise, distortion, wailing banshees ten minute dirges. It's all lush, especially when accompanied by delicate bells and that. Best Moment = Sweet Love For Mother Earth (6:05)

NOMO - Ghost Rock - This one beat me. Had to check Amazon. "owes as much to Can, Eno, and MIA as it does to Kuti, Francis Bebey, and Funkadelic. There's no loss of steam as this Michigan collective incorporates new influences. NOMO breaks through with a matured and developed sound that's fully their own. They've shared stages with Earth Wind And Fire, Konono No. 1, Sharon Jones, and Dan Deacon. RIYL: Konono No. 1, Can, Fela Kuti, Charles Mingus, MIA, Radiohead." So there you are. Best Moment = Brainwave

Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair - Another one track album as far as I'm concerned, Hercules Theme is quality.

Thanks HP will get my listening gear on.

DK's list is pretty comprehensive but there was quite a few i'd not heard.

I'm still wading though 2006/7. I'd recommend this group Midlake, they only came to my attention via the fabulously titled 'Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve remix' of a track called Roscoe. It was a bit of a shock when i heard the actual album as it sounds like it was written at the same time as Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. Bizzare but its been on my iPod everyday for the last fortnight.

If Midlake does it for you then I suggest you go out and find stuff by Besnard Lakes and the Clientele.

I also suggest if you haven't heard the Drones, do.

Edited by sammynb

Some of the other ones.

M83 - Usually more of a kind of electro post rock but this album is more shoegazy.

Tindersticks - I think they've been around for ages but this is the first album I've heard and it's excellent. Fairly straightforward chamber pop.

The Helio Sequence - Kind of alt country pop with a singer that reminds me a bit of Dylan on some of the songs

Helvetia - Again kind of alt country but more alt with a bit of Flaming Lips thrown in.

Airborne Toxic Event - Straight forward indie rock. Nothing new but good tunes.

Rural Alberta Advantage - Sounds more than a bit like Neutral Milk Hotel with a bit of Wolf Parade thrown in.

The Instruments - Like a much better Beach House with a singer that sounds a lot like Nico.

Deerhunter - Shoegazy again.

Okervill River - Definitely alt country this one. They have made three excellent albums in a row that get better with every listen.

Mercury Rev - Their best album for me.

The Breeders - Kim Deal (from the Pixies) doing Pixies like stuff. They've never bettered Cannonball but this is a good album.

Thao - Female singer a bit like Feist but a better album.

The Submarines - Like a good verison of the Cardigans

I'm still wading though 2006/7. I'd recommend this group Midlake, they only came to my attention via the fabulously titled 'Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve remix' of a track called Roscoe. It was a bit of a shock when i heard the actual album as it sounds like it was written at the same time as Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. Bizzare but its been on my iPod everyday for the last fortnight.

If Midlake does it for you then I suggest you go out and find stuff by Besnard Lakes and the Clientele.

Besnard Lakes are canny but the Clientele are excellent. Their EP this year is very good but their last two albums are superb. Never heard of the Drones. What are they like?

Besnard Lakes are canny but the Clientele are excellent. Their EP this year is very good but their last two albums are superb. Never heard of the Drones. What are they like?

The Drones are one of those quiet achiever Australian bands that are a mixture of noisy guitar, eerie vocals and good song writing. They have a bit of an association with the Dirty Three and Black Eyed Susans if you know their stuff.

A bit of background > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_drones

Also DK the recommendations were for Parky, I knew you were a clientele fan. Besnard Lakes are the dark horse is one of those albums that it takes four listens and then it just gets you.

The Drones are one of those quiet achiever Australian bands that are a mixture of noisy guitar, eerie vocals and good song writing. They have a bit of an association with the Dirty Three and Black Eyed Susans if you know their stuff.

Also DK the recommendations were for Parky, I knew you were a clientele fan. Besnard Lakes are the dark horse is one of those albums that it takes four listens and then it just gets you.

Have you just confused me with Parky?

Have you just confused me with Parky?

Chez, I have, sorry mate.

In fairness my original post was inspired by the following post from Parky and then I read your praise for Midlake.

Coldcut, christ that takes me back. :aye:

In the end it's all about KK :huh: