Serious Shitting The Bed Time

wykikitoon

Short term, yes. Long term, I'm not so sure. You'll never kick a crippling drugs habit without some pain, and the last 10 years have been rather like a drugs habit.

Youre coming out with some right sayings recentlly Fop :aye:

It's true though.

Drunk driving fits pretty well as well.

But that's the whole point, the utter idiocy of the last 10-15 years is pretty much beyond belief. It'll be better long term for things to be sorted out, than the old "I'll never drink again" now, before they set off on the same old path in a few years time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's it. If we could just persuade everyone to take the hit now, rather than stringing it out, we could start recovering sooner. But instead we get measure after measure to prolong any kind of positive movement, so the downside will be even longer and tougher than it needed to be. Ho hum.

Jaguar's bailout is no more than a £5 sub towards their next vial of crack.

Not even a British owned company either.

Part of the problem is many people (understandably) regard speculating on the housing market as a retirement fund. The UK must have just about the least affordable housing in Europe.

People say it's middle class greed but if you're a dilligent saver who works all your life what do you get in return from the state when you retire or (if you have to at a later date) go into a nursing home or whatever? Absolutely fuck all.

Part of the problem is many people (understandably) regard speculating on the housing market as a retirement fund. The UK must have just about the least affordable housing in Europe.

yup i put that down as a major cause of the problem as well

a lot of people being greedy and then it all went titsup, and no harm for some people slap it right up them

little flats and small semis going for 300k and such, madness

when people earning 30k a year are struggling to get a first start on the housing market something was obviously wrong

The whole thing was greed.

You only have to look at the type of stuff being built - 1-2 bedroom shoeboxes because they gave by far the best return to the developer - when in fact the were the least wanted and needed type of housing then, never mind now after so many have been built on every random scrap of land.

Now that worked for a long time because the market was rising and people wanted in on the money, but it always was a complete house (or luxury flat development :aye: ) of cards.

Slightly amused by people who wanted a housing price crash now struggling to get a mortgage however.

Have to say, I'm over the moon with how things are going.

£30 off my mortgage payments. 20% off luxury items. All those pennies less VAT.

The only trouble I've got is selling our second property for less than 60% of it's valued price and STILL being worried it's all going to fall through.

:aye:

Edited by Happy Face

Slightly amused by people who wanted a housing price crash now struggling to get a mortgage however.

The only trouble I've got is selling our second property for less than 60% of it's valued price and STILL being worried it's all going to fall through.

:aye:

Never had you down as a two-property type of person HF.

And how sanctimonious is Fop btw?

Oops, he's being attacked again. :D

:D

Oops, he's being attacked again. B)

I'm greedy, I'm not middle class though :aye:

B)

Oops, he's being attacked again. :wank:

I'm greedy, I'm not middle class though :aye:

And there was me hoping for some cheap blu-rays appearing in the classifieds :D

Same thing over here, Steven Harper (PM) came out the other day and actually used "depression" not "recession" when describing the outlook for the Canadian economy.....get yer hip waders on boys shit storms a comin'.....

as well the boss sent out an email trying to alleviate the nervousness in the office, luckily we are a small enough company that we don't need much work to be kept busy and our biggest client (Teck) while in the shit themselves still needs to maintain the smelter so it should only be a slowdown.....still the prospect of looking for work in this climate scares the hell out of me

Edited by tooner

Well if they wanted a crash but they're trying to get a mortgage now, when there's still a good 30-50% to go, then they weren't really in it with their heart and soul in the first place anyway. :aye:

Did anyone see the latest episode of 'the Ascent of money' this week? Interesting stuff, pointing out (the fairly obvious) that property is not a fail-safe investment. Also interesting to find out more about the political origins of the sub prime market in America etc.

Phil Spencer, Kirsty Alsopp, Sarah Beeney etc have a lot to answer for, although I suppose the latest series of 'Property Ladder' may be be a bit more interesting as investors bankrupt themselves. Nowt like a bit of schadenfreude to cheer you up, especially Meenzer, I'm guessing. :aye:

Phil Spencer, Kirsty Alsopp, Sarah Beeney etc have a lot to answer for, although I suppose the latest series of 'Property Ladder' may be be a bit more interesting as investors bankrupt themselves. Nowt like a bit of schadenfreude to cheer you up, especially Meenzer, I'm guessing. :aye:

Well, yes and no - my landlord, like so many, has a buy-to-let empire of properties that could easily collapse any time soon, so future security isn't exactly a given. But obviously in the grand scheme of things, anything that brings houses (rather than plywood boxes) back into the realms of the sensibly affordable has to be positive.

Well that's it. If we could just persuade everyone to take the hit now, rather than stringing it out, we could start recovering sooner. But instead we get measure after measure to prolong any kind of positive movement, so the downside will be even longer and tougher than it needed to be. Ho hum.

Jaguar's bailout is no more than a £5 sub towards their next vial of crack.

Not even a British owned company either.

Why are the government even considering bailing out a company that was sold by some americans to some indians only a few months ago? Especially as the indians were supposed to be awash with money.

It's a shame this government haven't been as willing to do anything to help small businesses over the last few years.

Oh and how am I being sanctimonious btw? :aye:

See that's one of your problems Fop, you lack self awareness.

For the record I reckon you did make a couple of canny metaphors in this thread mind, but for me then ruined it with sanctimony. Feel free to disagree though, its your forte.

See that's one of your problems Fop, you lack self awareness.

For the record I reckon you did make a couple of canny metaphors in this thread mind, but for me then ruined it with sanctimony. Feel free to disagree though, its your forte.

Again how?

Another thread derailed :D

Yup and I'll get the blame (one rule for). :aye:

I accept the blame for this Dr K, my apologies.

Fop, if you want to disagree that you have a holier-than-thou-know-it-all attitude, that's fair enough. But you have, in my opinion, not just on this, but almost every thread you participate in. And I really can't be arsed to argue with you about facts, let alone opinions, because I know from experience its pointless, so I'll say no more. Feel free to have the last word, I know its important to you.

Another thread derailed B)

Yup and I'll get the blame (one rule for). :aye:

I accept the blame for this Dr K, my apologies.

Fop, if you want to disagree that you have a holier-than-thou-know-it-all attitude, that's fair enough. But you have, in my opinion, not just on this, but almost every thread you participate in. And I really can't be arsed to argue with you about facts, let alone opinions, because I know from experience its pointless, so I'll say no more. Feel free to have the last word, I know its important to you.

So basically we agree Fop has not been sanctimonious in this thread. :D

It's yet another thread that's gone off-topic because you make it about you. Why can't you just let it pass? This act got sad, pathetic and BORING a while back.

And yet here you are making it about Fop, just like Renton did.

Like I said threads like this only occur when people act like that. :D

Although if you want a good example of sanctimonious, then this thread certainly now has 2. :aye: