Adidas ditching The Toon

Guest Stevie

Looks like Arsenal / Nike are in touch with their fans...

Arsenalinsider revealed that Arsenal will revert to a design based on their 1971 Double-winning kit for next 10/11 season to celebrate the Gunners' 125th anniversary.

arsenal-70-71-kit.jpg

Nike and the club are said to have agreed on a design based on the traditional red shirts with white sleeves much to the relief of supporters who had feared the club were set to abandon the white sleeves altogether.

It was thought they were set to produce an all-red shirt similar to those donated to the Gunners by Nottingham Forest in 1886.

The site also exclusively revealed that the away kit returns to a theme of yellow.

Fans seem delighted that the club have produced a kit with such historical importance. 'That simple red and white kit is iconic with the Arsenal and will sell like hot cakes,' said season-ticket holder Chris Adsett, 36.

'We've had many variations on the home shirt but the essence of all things Arsenal can be found in the '71 home top and we can only hope some of the success of that era returns to us next season.'

arsenal-70-71-kit-4.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pity we don't have brown ale as sponsors anymore, logo always suited our kits

Pity it's not made in the North East anymore as well though. Fucking joke that.

Particularly after they got Protected Geographical Status for it, then had to apply to cancel it :lol:

I think they actually lost that as soon as they went to the old Fed Brewery in Dunston although that move was just about acceptable being just over the Tyne. It's made in bloody Yorkshire now though.

I rarely touch the stuff like :)

Particularly after they got Protected Geographical Status for it, then had to apply to cancel it :lol:

I think they actually lost that as soon as they went to the old Fed Brewery in Dunston although that move was just about acceptable being just over the Tyne. It's made in bloody Yorkshire now though.

If someone had the 'get up and go' to petition the EU courts about Newcastle Brown PG status, they would more than likely re-grant it. The system is designed to protect the brand's heritage. Just because the brewery applied to cancel it doesnt mean it cant be re-instated.

If someone had the 'get up and go' to petition the EU courts about Newcastle Brown PG status, they would more than likely re-grant it. The system is designed to protect the brand's heritage. Just because the brewery applied to cancel it doesnt mean it cant be re-instated.

I might be wrong but as I understand it the status was removed as soon as it ceased to be made in Newcastle. I assumed that was an automatic thing rather than something the brewery applied for (the removal).

Is anyone else brewing brown ale in the Newcastle region? If they were to start up (for the purposes of having locus standi to petition) I'd imagine S&N would sue them out of existence for breach of IP-unless the new brewer marketed it as something entirely different, but then that would kind of defeat the object. :)

I might be wrong but as I understand it the status was removed as soon as it ceased to be made in Newcastle. I assumed that was an automatic thing rather than something the brewery applied for (the removal).

No, the Brewery applied for it, i even read the application on the EU commission site when it happened. It passed without comment because the system is designed around 'Appelation D'origine controlee' or AOC which explicitly works in the interest of the supplier.

The situation with Newcastle Brown is just gob-smacking. Imagine if a Bourgogne wine-maker decided to start producing wine in another region (at lower cost). There would be physical violence and possible deaths. The fact that Newcastle Brown's ingredients arent specifically linked to local raw materials (think water supply for whisky) means it doesnt have to be made in Newcastle, so it can be moved. However, under EU law, it is not just the raw materials that allow it protected status (there are two AOC-type conditions for protection). It explicitly states that if the heritage of the 'brand' is connected to an area and a local culture then the supplier can apply to have protected status. Therefore, applying the logic in reverse would allow anyone to petition the AOC lawmakers to grant protection to Newcastle Brown's regional production on the basis of its regional heritage.

I can find links but it took me a while the last time.

To allow them to move the brewery site outside of Newcastle.

We've got our wires crossed then. I thought you were saying they didn't have to apply in the previous post (i.e. even if they moved). So it's just a process really, i.e. it's not 'automatic' because you have to apply before you move rather than moving and having the status taken away. Same difference really.

Is anyone else brewing brown ale in the Newcastle region? If they were to start up (for the purposes of having locus standi to petition) I'd imagine S&N would sue them out of existence for breach of IP-unless the new brewer marketed it as something entirely different, but then that would kind of defeat the object. :)

The only legal angle would be to petition the EU court and that should have been what the unions did but they didnt :blush:

I also believe that Regional Development office should have stepped in, they said they did but not with lawyers by all accounts.

To allow them to move the brewery site outside of Newcastle.

We've got our wires crossed then. I thought you were saying they didn't have to apply in the previous post (i.e. even if they moved). So it's just a process really, i.e. it's not 'automatic' because you have to apply before you move rather than moving and having the status taken away. Same difference really.

Yeah, they basically had to write to the EU to remove the protected status before they could move the brewery. As they are the supplier the system protects, no-one batted an eye-lid.

I'm not sure the logic of a system designed to protect a regional producer from 'OOT's' can be reversed to penalise a producer (prevent it from moving production) if that's the producer's own decision though. It's basically saying it doesnt want the protection offered.

If an out of towner sought to exploit the absence of PG status by making their own 'Newcastle Brown', S&N's legal would have them in the High Court before the first wagon left the brewery. They know they don't actually need the protection, it's just a desirable badge to have when the other conditions are in order.

I think there'd be more merit to the argument if it was the first model of protection (local ingredients etc) or there were numerous local producers (and hence competing interests if the protection were to be lost). S&N is (was) the only show in town tho so I spose they're entitled to greater say in their destiny.

Sad all the same.

I'm not sure the logic of a system designed to protect a regional producer from 'OOT's' can be reversed to penalise a producer (prevent it from moving production) if that's the producer's own decision though. It's basically saying it doesnt want the protection offered.

If an out of towner sought to exploit the absence of PG status by making their own 'Newcastle Brown', S&N's legal would have them in the High Court before the first wagon left the brewery. They know they don't actually need the protection, it's just a desirable badge to have when the other conditions are in order.

I think there'd be more merit to the argument if it was the first model of protection (local ingredients etc) or there were numerous local producers (and hence competing interests if the protection were to be lost). S&N is (was) the only show in town tho so I spose they're entitled to greater say in their destiny.

Sad all the same.

I wasn't really making that argument I just think it's a shame there's no link to the region any more. Ironic that it was made in Newcastle for decades though and that within a few years of getting the protected status from the EU it had moved away completely and severed all links with the Toon, as it were.

Sad all the same.

I wasn't really making that argument I just think it's a shame there's no link to the region any more. Ironic that it was made in Newcastle for decades though and that within a few years of getting the protected status from the EU it had moved away completely and severed all links with the Toon, as it were.

It was addressed to Chezney's theorem tbh. I know you were just playing a lament you parochial oddball-get your violin out of my face.

I agree fwiw, thinks it's v. sad.

Sad all the same.

It was addressed to Chezney's theorem tbh. I know you were just playing a lament you parochial oddball-get your violin out of my face.

I agree fwiw, thinks it's v. sad.

:lol:

newcastle_united_20100222_1218946066.jpg

:lol: (Wasn't me by the way)

Now that....is a Newcastle United shirt. No capes, waffles, squirly things or any other shite, just plain and simple, yet classic.

I'd be astounded if there are many among us who didn't see that and instantly think the same. Yet Pooma will probably go with some other shite.

newcastle_united_20100222_1218946066.jpg

:) (Wasn't me by the way)

Now that....is a Newcastle United shirt. No capes, waffles, squirly things or any other shite, just plain and simple, yet classic.

I'd be astounded if there are many among us who didn't see that and instantly think the same. Yet Pooma will probably go with some other shite.

Oh, and as there seems to be a bit of derailment about Dog, that shirt would still look great with dribble, donner kebab stuff or even puke down the front. Call me a traditionalist :lol: