The Wire

scotty84

I thought Season 5 was the weakest. Season 2 was probably next though.

Nah season 5 might get a bit silly in places but it's much better than Series 2. Brother Mouzone ffs.

:lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 5 loses all the realism imo. Still quality like but just not the same show.

You say that but you, like me, are a white english middle class bloke who works in an office. I dont think we can really vouch for the reality of the drug trade in the Baltimore ghetto.

On the other hand Ive worked in a corporate environment, and the arselicking cheaters get on, and the bosses are only interested in driving down costs and increasing productivity.(I was at our quarterly management meeting last week, we were getting the yearly targets and md was spelling out what was required. I said so basically you want more from less. Nobody got it)

The serial killer arc was a stretch at times maybe, but no more so than "Amsterdam" running undiscovered for so long or Omar being able to survive hails of bullets hiding behind a couch and jumping out 5th floor windows

The thing for season five for me was it felt we were hearing David Simon's views on the newspaper industry a bit too loudly. I get it; the Newspaper (industry) isnt as good it used to be, but thats more down to the internet & 24 hour news tv than the corporate rulers of America.

The previous series were about big themes, big out of control corrupt institutions, the police,the political system, education, the unions and how they failed the people who they were supposed to help, and destroyed the people who worked in them

To me the Newspaper didnt seem important enough to hang a series on.

Season 5 loses all the realism imo. Still quality like but just not the same show.

The serial killer arc was a stretch at times maybe, but no more so than "Amsterdam" running undiscovered for so long or Omar being able to survive hails of bullets hiding behind a couch and jumping out 5th floor windows

Omar becoming more and more battered and faced with increasingly insurmountable odds as the series went on was a personal highlight of mine. Agree about the rest of Season 5 like. McNulty's downfall was a bit too jarring from Season 4 (I understand the reasoning and the development but I thought it was too much of an extreme) and the serial killer arc is entirely different from Amsterdam; Amsterdam was privately run by Colvin and those in his trust circle so I don't think it's too far out of the realms of possibility that it lasted a while. Saying that, I can't remember off the top of my head how long Season 4 runs in time. If it's anything more than a few months then, yeah, belief stretching.

Season 5 was Marlo's season anyway. And Snoop. Can't forget Snoop. Or Chris for that matter. His Angel of Death routine was brilliant.

Mouzone is head and shoulders above everyone else as the worst character. He's like something out of a fucking comic.

I wouldn't say series 5 loses all the realism - the serial killer stuff is a bit daft but it does highlight how police work can be hamstrung by politics - McNulty's antics are allegorical for the strains placed on cops and the lengths that they might think about going to in order to actually do 'real police' work.

And besides, what The Wire has always been about for me has been the fates of those on the street - D'Angelo, Stringer, Marlo, Michael, Omar. And for that season five is as brilliant as the rest.

I think the reason most people didn't like season 2 was basically how different it was from season 1. As in how it changed styles so quick.

It's because we fell in love with a bunch of cool black gangsters, and were then given some poor white-ass motherfuckers.

I think the reason most people didn't like season 2 was basically how different it was from season 1. As in how it changed styles so quick.

It's because we fell in love with a bunch of cool black gangsters, and were then given some poor white-ass motherfuckers.

I grew to love them all the same though. Especially Nicky. Ziggy was a bit of a knobhead and I can't believe that anyone would rank a character below him in the "Worst Character" awards. I still think the Barksdale stuff was good in Season 2 and set up a lot of the stuff that would be so great in Season 3. This thread has made me want to watch them all through again now.

I grew to love them all the same though. Especially Nicky. Ziggy was a bit of a knobhead and I can't believe that anyone would rank a character below him in the "Worst Character" awards. I still think the Barksdale stuff was good in Season 2 and set up a lot of the stuff that would be so great in Season 3. This thread has made me want to watch them all through again now.

I agree completely, esp Ziggy. S2 also introduced "the greek" and Nicky's wife's awesome breasts to the show. There was loads of great McNulty stuff, esp the lengths he went to screw Rawls, and the hooker scene.

The closing montage was for me one of the most powerful parts of the whole 5 seasons. I dont know if it caught me in a particularly bleak moment, but the feeling of futility and despair it gave did for me completely. I was ok til the wife said what happened - I said "nothing" and found myself weeping uncontrollably.

As I said earlier in the thread FX are showing one ep a week from Mon at 11pm. I am looking forward to savouring one episode a week.

I agree completely, esp Ziggy. S2 also introduced "the greek" and Nicky's wife's awesome breasts to the show. There was loads of great McNulty stuff, esp the lengths he went to screw Rawls, and the hooker scene.

The closing montage was for me one of the most powerful parts of the whole 5 seasons. I dont know if it caught me in a particularly bleak moment, but the feeling of futility and despair it gave did for me completely. I was ok til the wife said what happened - I said "nothing" and found myself weeping uncontrollably.

As I said earlier in the thread FX are showing one ep a week from Mon at 11pm. I am looking forward to savouring one episode a week.

Word.

Agree with the rest of it also.

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7940061.stm

Hit US series The Wire is to be shown on BBC Two, it has been announced.

Led by British actor Dominic West, the critically acclaimed drama shows Baltimore life from drug users to politicians to local journalists.

Although it has been aired in the UK on satellite TV, it will be the first time it has ever aired on terrestrial TV.

All 60 episodes across the show's five seasons will be shown stripped across the week. Transmission dates have yet to be announced.

"We are delighted to offer terrestrial viewers the opportunity to watch this ground-breaking series. It's a wonderful chance for everyone to see what the critics have been raving about for so long," Sue Deeks, the BBC's head of series, programme acquisition, said.

Watch out for the bandwagon jumpers. B)

Led by British actor Dominic West, the critically acclaimed drama shows Baltimore life from drug users to politicians to local journalists.

Although it has been aired in the UK on satellite TV, it will be the first time it has ever aired on terrestrial TV.

All 60 episodes across the show's five seasons will be shown stripped across the week. Transmission dates have yet to be announced.

"We are delighted to offer terrestrial viewers the opportunity to watch this ground-breaking series. It's a wonderful chance for everyone to see what the critics have been raving about for so long," Sue Deeks, the BBC's head of series, programme acquisition, said.

Watch out for the bandwagon jumpers. :angry:

B) You fucking snob.

Why is it a bad thing if more people watch it? How recently did you start watching it? I think I first got into it May last year. Considering it finished in 2006, does that make me a bandwagon jumper?

Watch out for the bandwagon jumpers. <_<

B) You fucking snob.

Why is it a bad thing if more people watch it? How recently did you start watching it? I think I first got into it May last year. Considering it finished in 2006, does that make me a bandwagon jumper?

No of course it doesn't. :angry:

I started watching it when the last series was on in America.

Watch out for the bandwagon jumpers. <_<

B) You fucking snob.

Yep.

Don't presume to think you can have an opinion on it again please.

Has anyone jumped on the 30 Rock bandwagon yet.

I guess not with it being on 5ive :angry:

It'll be on at 1am on a Sunday like Arrested Development was.

The masses don't deserve The Wire. They just don't.

It'll be on at 1am on a Sunday like Arrested Development was.

The masses don't deserve The Wire. They just don't.

:angry:

Pointing out actors from The Wire in other programmes or films for the purpose of annoying my housemate has happened so many times now, that the other day when watching Flags of Our Fathers (Frank Sobotka and Scott Templeton, fyi) all I had to say was "Dave..." before he immediately told me to fuck off. B)

Nearly finished it now :angry: Michael Lee is one of my fave characters from the series like to think the actor that plays him went onto that 90210 thing about rich kids in Beverly hills after this B)

Pointing out actors from The Wire in other programmes or films for the purpose of annoying my housemate has happened so many times now, that the other day when watching Flags of Our Fathers (Frank Sobotka and Scott Templeton, fyi) all I had to say was "Dave..." before he immediately told me to fuck off. B)

Just watch Oz. :angry: