Time to stop and think

peasepud

This announcement is great and frankly I dont think theres anything more we could have hoped to happen at this stage in the season (other than the FA suddenly deciding that the bottom 3 clubs should swap places with the top 3) but people need to start getting a sense of reality.

There is nothing to hint that Shearer will be here after the season has ended, nothing at all and if Ashley is still in charge then I believe there is no way he will.

The removal of Wise is not down to Shearer, either he was already on his way or theres something bigger going on. Think about it for a minute, Ashley didnt put Keegan ahead of Wise even though he'd already had proof of what KK could do and how he was viewed by the fans, hes Ashleys mate, they have already stated that this is the plan, this is the structure and this is what we are going to do. You dont suddenly scrap a 5 year plan just on the demands of a temporary manager.

If they were going to change everything around again then they would want assurances of Shearer staying, the signing of a contract and then they'd parade this brave new world to us as a masterstroke in Llambias planning (we've listened to the fans, made mistakes, know what needs to be done etc etc yaddda yadda..)

If Shearer was to take the job on full time then he would want a total clearout and his own players bringing in, this would require money, guarantees of proper money. Hes not going to be happy settling for us being a bit part club, an also ran who class a good season as one where they dont get relegated. SHearer is a winner, he proved that in his career and I dont care what people say he will have a regret that he didnt go to the likes of Man U for a couple of seasons before coming home. Hes not going to make that mistake again.

Does anyone really believe deep down that Ashley is suddenly going to hand over that kind of cash, this club is in a terrible state financially was the statement, this club needs to get sorted before we can spend. Mike Ashley has been hit by the credit crunch etc. He didnt spend when he had 1.5 billion hes not going to do it now whens hes got a third of that and having problems business wise elsewhere.

Lets be happy that we now have a chance of staying up or at least if we do go down its fighting and not just with quiet realisation that we were doing but lets not be drawn into some false belief that this in itself is the dawning of a new era.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashley is a reactive gambler imo - he takes decisions on the throw of a dice which is why "long term plans" has always been bollocks. In September there was no good reason as far as he was concerned to choose Keegan over Wise as he'd convinced himself the structure would work.

I think he has now woken up to relegation and thrown the dice again without much thought.

Well it's been a rather manic 24 hours I must admit. Ranging from the obvious it's an April Fools joke to it actually sinking in that it is true.

I still don't know what to think really as my heart is ruling my head. We needed a lift, we needed a boost, even for these remaining eight games. Which quite frankly are the most important for the club since 1992.

At this moment in time I'd take anything to help lift us out of the mire. Absolutely anything. Although I still feel it's all been done a bit too late, if it was done a few games ago it obviously would have given us more of a chance. Then again fair play to Ashley/Llambias for actually doing something positive for once. As there's no way Hughton/Calderwood could have continued doing the job they were doing. As a pairing they were even worse than Joe Kinnear, which in itself says quite a lot.

Now onto the removal of Dennise Wise. This is a move which should have been done way back in September, I still can't believe the board chose Wise over Keegan, still can't get my head round it. Especially now with Shearer coming in and Wise being removed straight away. Which giving the timing is quite strange as at this stage of the season he won't be buying or selling anyone. I believe that's certainly an indiciation that if we do stay up Shearer will be in it for the long haul.

Will he keep us up? I very much doubt it. I do think he'll give the fans and players a morale boost though, and due to his connections within the club will no the problems already so will have an idea of what he feels needs to be done. Although due to the timescales involved it will be hard to implement any majory changes. He was good as Roeder's number 2 apparently, as can be seen with the results after he left, and Roeder's perceived lack of authority. Something which Shearer has plenty of.

One thing is for certain, this is the last card Ashley has, and he's played it. If this goes wrong then I dread to think what will happen.

Guest Stevie
This announcement is great and frankly I dont think theres anything more we could have hoped to happen at this stage in the season (other than the FA suddenly deciding that the bottom 3 clubs should swap places with the top 3) but people need to start getting a sense of reality.

There is nothing to hint that Shearer will be here after the season has ended, nothing at all and if Ashley is still in charge then I believe there is no way he will.

The removal of Wise is not down to Shearer, either he was already on his way or theres something bigger going on. Think about it for a minute, Ashley didnt put Keegan ahead of Wise even though he'd already had proof of what KK could do and how he was viewed by the fans, hes Ashleys mate, they have already stated that this is the plan, this is the structure and this is what we are going to do. You dont suddenly scrap a 5 year plan just on the demands of a temporary manager.

If they were going to change everything around again then they would want assurances of Shearer staying, the signing of a contract and then they'd parade this brave new world to us as a masterstroke in Llambias planning (we've listened to the fans, made mistakes, know what needs to be done etc etc yaddda yadda..)

If Shearer was to take the job on full time then he would want a total clearout and his own players bringing in, this would require money, guarantees of proper money. Hes not going to be happy settling for us being a bit part club, an also ran who class a good season as one where they dont get relegated. SHearer is a winner, he proved that in his career and I dont care what people say he will have a regret that he didnt go to the likes of Man U for a couple of seasons before coming home. Hes not going to make that mistake again.

Does anyone really believe deep down that Ashley is suddenly going to hand over that kind of cash, this club is in a terrible state financially was the statement, this club needs to get sorted before we can spend. Mike Ashley has been hit by the credit crunch etc. He didnt spend when he had 1.5 billion hes not going to do it now whens hes got a third of that and having problems business wise elsewhere.

Lets be happy that we now have a chance of staying up or at least if we do go down its fighting and not just with quiet realisation that we were doing but lets not be drawn into some false belief that this in itself is the dawning of a new era.

I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choice if Shearer isn't NUFC manager in 5 months time. He's already obliterated a system which Ashley had so much faith in, in the space of two days (DOF), I don't think it's even up for debate that Shearer was squarely behind the removal of Dennis Wise, so you think if he's only going to be here 8 games, Ashley would be prepared to completely alter the structure of the club to get someone in for eight days. What is Shearer supposed to say about Kinnear too, "he's had a heart attack fuck him"? He's just giving him some respect, Kinnear's comments about "moving upstairs" are of a man who is patently aware of the situation. Shearer is our permanent manager, nothing that has been said or will be said in the press conference today will alter that view.

Guest Stevie
I agree with Pud but I don't mind the blind optimism if it translates into people really getting behind the team.

;)

I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choice if Shearer isn't NUFC manager in 5 months time. He's already obliterated a system which Ashley had so much faith in, in the space of two days (DOF), I don't think it's even up for debate that Shearer was squarely behind the removal of Dennis Wise, so you think if he's only going to be here 8 games, Ashley would be prepared to completely alter the structure of the club to get someone in for eight days. What is Shearer supposed to say about Kinnear too, "he's had a heart attack fuck him"? He's just giving him some respect, Kinnear's comments about "moving upstairs" are of a man who is patently aware of the situation. Shearer is our permanent manager, nothing that has been said or will be said in the press conference today will alter that view.

Im not saying he wont be here, what I am saying is that he and Ashley will not both be.

If Shearer stays then its because somebody new owns the club not through Ashley. It would take a total turn around in methods and thinking for that to happen and we all know its not going to.

So Meenzer gets the cash. ;)

I agree with Pud but I don't mind the blind optimism if it translates into people really getting behind the team.

;)

I just think there's definitely a note of caution that should be applied. We've been here before etc. If we don't stay up (I'm beginning to think we will btw) - I don't think Shearer will still be manager. If we stay up but Ashley can't sell I think the same applies. Etc.

I think if it works well and we do stop up, even Ashley would be hard pressed to be stupid enough to "get rid" of Shearer. He may be relying on Shearer being forthright in insisting the job is finished but even then the negative swing of him leaving would be bad business.

I think if it works well and we do stop up, even Ashley would be hard pressed to be stupid enough to "get rid" of Shearer. He may be relying on Shearer being forthright in insisting the job is finished but even then the negative swing of him leaving would be bad business.

I think it's more a case of Ashley being hard-pressed to keep Shearer without the right assurances.

Shearer will be manager at the start of next season.

I refer the honourary gentleman to his 7th place prediction. ;)

"Honourary?"

Makes him sound like he's not a real gentleman. :nufc:

Of course Wise leaving is because of Shearer.

Flying in the face of logic there Pud.

I think the timing is down to Shearer coming. Quite possibly now instead of the summer though. All good PR and so on. Perhaps I'm being ultra cynical but I think the owner has given me cause to be so far.

Guest Stevie

;)

I just think there's definitely a note of caution that should be applied. We've been here before etc. If we don't stay up (I'm beginning to think we will btw) - I don't think Shearer will still be manager. If we stay up but Ashley can't sell I think the same applies. Etc.

Shearer would not have taken the job for just eight games, I refuse to believe that, my hope is there's an investor behind Shearer, but Ashley has already got rid of one reason why Shearer previously refused to be involved, so I really don't see why Shearer AND Ashley can't work together, when the very reason Shearer crticised the club and side swerved the job has now been removed. I respect Peasepud's views, and I know your hearts in the right place, but I don't think what you are saying is a dose of realism, more utter pessimism, but we will see.

I think the timing is down to Shearer coming. Quite possibly now instead of the summer though. All good PR and so on. Perhaps I'm being ultra cynical but I think the owner has given me cause to be so far.

The evidence suggests it was part of the bargain and Shearer's hand was obviously about as strong as it could get.

;)

Shearer would not have taken the job for just eight games, I refuse to believe that, my hope is there's an investor behind Shearer, but Ashley has already got rid of one reason why Shearer previously refused to be involved, so I really don't see why Shearer AND Ashley can't work together, when the very reason Shearer crticised the club and side swerved the job has now been removed. I respect Peasepud's views, and I know your hearts in the right place, but I don't think what you are saying is a dose of realism, more utter pessimism, but we will see.

We'll see. Like I said, I think he might stay but it depends on lots of things. I hope he does because I think he'll only stay if everything is right - we're still in the PL, he has money to spend and full control over transfers and so on.

The notion that he wouldn't take a job short-term for a load of money where he can't really be held culpable is pretty naive though imo.

The evidence suggests it was part of the bargain and Shearer's hand was obviously about as strong as it could get.

He obviously had a lot more leverage than KK did at the end of August which would explain going with the manager over Wise now and not then.

If he keeps us up, he stays.

If we go down, the only viable option for Ashley to keep the club afloat is to keep Shearer and he stays.

Obviously rationality and this club dont go hand in hand but thats the way i see it.

Edited by ChezGiven

If he keeps us up, he stays.

If we go down, the only viable option for Ashley to keep the club afloat is to keep Shearer and he stays.

Obviously rationality and this club dont go hand in hand but thats they way i see it.

Sound logic but it ignores Shearer's view.

Shearer (IMO) will be here next year regardless of Ashley still owning or not.

Everything is pure speculation but I do have a question for PP.

If Shearer stays, we stay up and Ashley stays, everyone is happy.

Where does that leave NUSC, are they still needed, what will be their objectives. I honestly believe the best fans representatives are those who go to the match and make thier opinions kinown at the match. Not looking for a bite just interested.