Best album of the noughties

Happy Face

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried and tried to get into the Strokes, ok yes there is a joke in that, but they are a bit like the White Stripes for me - one songs hits, the next three miss.

I saw The Strokes at Reading and it confirmed my general opinion - some decent tunes but the bloke simply cannot fucking sing.

I tried and tried to get into the Strokes, ok yes there is a joke in that, but they are a bit like the White Stripes for me - one songs hits, the next three miss.

I saw The Strokes at Reading and it confirmed my general opinion - some decent tunes but the bloke simply cannot fucking sing.

Black Keys are far more interesting.

s2402517.jpg

Some of my favourites.

Prefer Origin of Symmetry mesel.

I like Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and Black Holes........., but the latter just about shades it for me. I like how every album is slightly different to the last an you can hear a sort of evolution between the albums.

This is also quality:

tomahawk-mitgas.jpg

The Strokes' debut album Is This It has been named the best album of the decade by music magazine NME.

The Libertines' 2002 debut Up the Bracket was voted second in the list of the top 50 albums, with Primal Scream's XTRMNTR coming in third.

Bands such as Radiohead and Arctic Monkeys, plus record producers and label bosses were among those who cast their votes.

Guitar-led rock acts dominated the list with nine out of the top 10 places.

Is This It, with its lo-fi scratchy guitars and hits like Last Nite and Someday, was one of the most acclaimed albums of the year when it was released in 2001.

Its infamous cover shows a hand in a black vinyl glove resting on a woman's naked thigh - thought by many to be a reference to Spinal Tap's fictitious Smell The Glove album.

'Definitive word'

The Strokes' frontman Julian Casablancas said of his band's top position: "It's totally crazy! I thought it was great when I heard.

"But does it mean it's a good musical decade or a bad musical decade? I don't know, I'm such a bad judge of my own stuff.

"Recording the album was fun. It was stressing, it was exciting. I don't want to get carried away, but I'm pretty damn psyched with myself," he added.

The year 2002 is the most well-represented in the list with eight albums, including releases by Interpol, The Streets and Queens of the Stone Age.

NME Editor Krissi Murison said: "This is the definitive word on the greatest albums of the 00s - as voted for by everyone who helped make music brilliant this decade."

The full top 50 can be seen in this week's issue of the magazine.

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF THE DECADE

1. The Strokes - Is This It

2. The Libertines - Up The Bracket

3. Primal Scream - XTRMNTR

4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

6. PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea

7. Arcade Fire - Funeral

8. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material

10. Radiohead - In Rainbows

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8363726.stm

The Strokes' debut album Is This It has been named the best album of the decade by music magazine NME.

The Libertines' 2002 debut Up the Bracket was voted second in the list of the top 50 albums, with Primal Scream's XTRMNTR coming in third.

Bands such as Radiohead and Arctic Monkeys, plus record producers and label bosses were among those who cast their votes.

Guitar-led rock acts dominated the list with nine out of the top 10 places.

Is This It, with its lo-fi scratchy guitars and hits like Last Nite and Someday, was one of the most acclaimed albums of the year when it was released in 2001.

Its infamous cover shows a hand in a black vinyl glove resting on a woman's naked thigh - thought by many to be a reference to Spinal Tap's fictitious Smell The Glove album.

'Definitive word'

The Strokes' frontman Julian Casablancas said of his band's top position: "It's totally crazy! I thought it was great when I heard.

"But does it mean it's a good musical decade or a bad musical decade? I don't know, I'm such a bad judge of my own stuff.

"Recording the album was fun. It was stressing, it was exciting. I don't want to get carried away, but I'm pretty damn psyched with myself," he added.

The year 2002 is the most well-represented in the list with eight albums, including releases by Interpol, The Streets and Queens of the Stone Age.

NME Editor Krissi Murison said: "This is the definitive word on the greatest albums of the 00s - as voted for by everyone who helped make music brilliant this decade."

The full top 50 can be seen in this week's issue of the magazine.

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF THE DECADE

1. The Strokes - Is This It

2. The Libertines - Up The Bracket

3. Primal Scream - XTRMNTR

4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

6. PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea

7. Arcade Fire - Funeral

8. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material

10. Radiohead - In Rainbows

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8363726.stm

The Strokes??? ffs!!

mind you, none of those artists/albums are quite my cup of tea.

my favourite album of the last decade is probably The New Black by Strapping Young Lad.

probably not an album on most peoples ipod playlist i'll grant you, but i like it....

Edited by AvatarAxeman

my favourite album of the last decade is probably The New Black by Strapping Young Lad.

probably not an album on most peoples ipod playlist i'll grant you, but i like it....

They've never bettered City imho, but I do like a bit of Devin in all his many incarnations. ;)

Since I find it basically impossible to select a "best" album at any level, the nearest I can get is "album that ultimately had the most impact on the kind of music I listen to". Which would point straight at "Ágætis byrjun", only apparently it came out in Iceland in 1999. UK release was 2000 though, so I think I'll claim it anyway.

I've heard nearly all of those albums and only really rate the PJ one.

Having said that I'm struggling to think of an album I'd "instantly" name as the best of the decade.

That's the difficulty. Previous decades were epitomised by movements. There was a narrow music press which dictated what could breakthrough beyond fanzines. So the 60s saw the birth of pop/rock, the 70s the birth of punk, 80s disco and 90s grunge. There's relatively few albums lauded as the pinnacle of a genre in its infancy. So there's standouts like Sgt Pepper, Never Mind the Bollocks, Thriller and Nevermind that are clearly pivotal.

Throughout the decades there's been other underground acts that have been very popular but never taken the style mainstream, but now, thanks to the internet anything and everything is mainstream. Electronic, Hip-Hop, Elaine Paige karaoke, Garage, Grime, psychadelic jazz.... it all gets in the charts and you can't really rate the best of one genre as having as big an impact as any other.

The 2000s have been the best decade for music since the 90s.

More like it. I've only got two of them on that list and I only like one (and that's only in the 2000s by the skin of its teeth).

More like it. I've only got two of them on that list and I only like one (and that's only in the 2000s by the skin of its teeth).

That list isn't quite right though. Being the NME they've concentrated on British music.

That list isn't quite right though. Being the NME they've concentrated on shit music.

FYP LOLZ ETC.

That list isn't quite right though. Being the NME they've concentrated on British music.

The first sentence wasn't necessarily dependent on the second ;) Imo like. I know it's a classic sign of getting old but I haven't bought anywhere near as much new stuff in the last decade. I doubt if much of the stuff I'd bought in the 90s would have made albums of the decade lists having said that.

The first sentence wasn't necessarily dependent on the second ;) Imo like. I know it's a classic sign of getting old but I haven't bought anywhere near as much new stuff in the last decade. I doubt if much of the stuff I'd bought in the 90s would have made albums of the decade lists having said that.

That's pretty much it like, anyone who doesn't think the best music came out when they were 16 to 26 wasted their youth.

Edited by Happy Face

That's pretty much it like, anyone who doesn't think the best music came out when they were 16 to 26 wasted their youth.

I think that and I wasted my youth.

So the 60s saw the birth of pop/rock, the 70s the birth of punk, 80s disco and 90s grunge.

70's Happy, it was the 70's that gave birth to Disco. the 80's gave birth to the New Romantics, Hair Metal and later on in the decade, House!!

ACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

;)

So the 60s saw the birth of pop/rock, the 70s the birth of punk, 80s disco and 90s grunge.

70's Happy, it was the 70's that gave birth to Disco. the 80's gave birth to the New Romantics, Hair Metal and later on in the decade, House!!

;)

I was trying to be polite to the 80's and suggest it was good for something. Otherwise it was shite, as your examples show. ;)

:yahoo:

I was trying to be polite to the 80's and suggest it was good for something. Otherwise it was shite, as your examples show. ;)

:D

you think disco was good?? try this one on fer size my friend!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5d01_riBo...feature=related

:D:D:yes:razz::razz::razz::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

the worst thing about it is, I thought it was FANTASTIC when i was 6!

;)