Best album of the noughties

Happy Face

So the 60s saw the birth of pop/rock, the 70s the birth of punk, 80s disco and 90s grunge.

70's Happy, it was the 70's that gave birth to Disco. the 80's gave birth to the New Romantics, Hair Metal and later on in the decade, House!!

ACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

:D

I was trying to be polite to the 80's and suggest it was good for something. Otherwise it was shite, as your examples show. ;)

The 80s were class for Indie bands though. And there was the Tube and the Chart Show. ;)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the 60s saw the birth of pop/rock, the 70s the birth of punk, 80s disco and 90s grunge.

70's Happy, it was the 70's that gave birth to Disco. the 80's gave birth to the New Romantics, Hair Metal and later on in the decade, House!!

ACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

:yahoo:

I was trying to be polite to the 80's and suggest it was good for something. Otherwise it was shite, as your examples show. ;)

you think disco was good?? try this one on fer size my friend!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5d01_riBo...feature=related

:D:yes:razz::razz::razz::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::yahoo:

the worst thing about it is, I thought it was FANTASTIC when i was 6!

;)

That's quality.

Disco is great man.

71494.jpg

I think we've had this discussion before but the 80's was actually the birth of grunge, just because Nirvana didn't sell records until the 90s doesn't mean all that came before it didn't count.

The 90s was responsible for the death of the indie record label, which the noughties countered through the disregard of record labels to release music.

Pixies were a big Nirvana influence too as I recall. The whole quiet verses, loud ass chorus deal.

The Melvins as well maybe? Seems like Kurt cited them in some interviews...

EDIT: Lols on the Melvins...

Edited by Cid_MCDP

I don't think you can put the down to one influence.

I would say HD had more of a general influence than Killing Joke and probably more so than the Melvins too.

Oops on the Melvins.

I read an interview with Jazz Coleman a few years ago about what happened. In it he states he didn't care if Nirvana stole a riff, he just wanted them to acknowledge it. After Kurt fucked himself, Grohl played for KJ and admitted to Coleman that he was in-fact correct, the riff was stolen because they had been listening to a lot of KJ at the time.

And yes the Pixies were often cited, so much that they wanted to use Albini because of his Pixies work.

edit: The 3rd paragraph makes interesting reading.

Edited by sammynb

I don't think you can put the down to one influence.

I would say HD had more of a general influence than Killing Joke and probably more so than the Melvins too.

Any band is the sum of it's influences.... every one of the bands being listed as the 'Grunge' originators would wish they could have been the ones that made the leap to global phenomenon. Originating the form is not necessarily as important as advancing it further than anyone else could, which Nirvana undoubtedly did.

Those other bands will be very grateful to the huge breakthrough acts that popularised their music with just a nod towards it. It's a mutualistic realtionship, by which I mean The Melvins (for example) gained as much from Nirvana as Nirvana gained from the Melvins...they got signed to Atlantic for a start.

Edited by Happy Face

NPR music: The 50 Most Important Recordings Of The Decade in alphabetic order

01. John Adams: On The Transmigration Of Souls

02. Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion

03. The Arcade Fire: Funeral

04. The Bad Plus: These Are The Vistas

05. Beyonce: Dangerously In Love

06. Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago

07. Bright Eyes: I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning

08. Burial: Untrue

09. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah: S/T

10. Kelly Clarkson: Breakaway

11. Coldplay: A Rush Of Blood To The Head

12. Danger Mouse: The Grey Album

13. Death Cab For Cutie: Transatlanticism

14. The Decemberists: The Crane Wife

15. Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP

16. The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

17. Osvaldo Golijov: La Pasión Segun San Marcos (Saint Mark's Passion)

18. Green Day: American Idiot

19. Iron And Wine: Our Endless Numbered Days

20. Jay-Z: The Blueprint

21. Norah Jones: Come Away With Me

22. Juanes: Fijate Bien

23. LCD Soundsystem: Sound Of Silver

24. Lil’ Wayne: Tha Carter III

25. Little Brother: The Listening

26. M.I.A.: Kala

27. Yo-Yo Ma: Silk Road Journeys: When Strangers Meet

28. Mastodon: Leviathan

29. Jason Moran: Black Stars

30. OutKast: Stankonia

31. Brad Paisley: 5th Gear

32. Panda Bear: Person Pitch

33. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: Raising Sand

34. The Postal Service: Give Up

35. Radiohead: In Rainbows

36. Radiohead: Kid A

37. Shakira: Fijación Oral, Vol. 1

38. Sigur Ros: ( )

39. Britney Spears: In The Zone

40. Sufjan Stevens: Illinois

41. The Strokes: Is This It

42. The Swell Season: Once Soundtrack

43. Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate: In The Heart Of The Moon

44. TV On The Radio: Return To Cookie Mountain

45. Various: Garden State Soundtrack

46. Various: O Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack

47. Kanye West: The College Dropout

48. The White Stripes: White Blood Cells

49. Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

50. Amy Winehouse: Back To Black

Podcast discussion...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=120326033

Edited by Happy Face

Beyonce? Kelly Clarkson?

Kelly Clarkson is there to represent the pop idol phenomenon which, whatever the quality, has had a huge impact on the music industry. Definitley important. She's the most critically acclaimed, longest lasting of all of them.

I think Beyonce is just great. You're not a fan?

Beyonce? Kelly Clarkson?

Kelly Clarkson is there to represent the pop idol phenomenon which, whatever the quality, has had a huge impact on the music industry. Definitley important. She's the most critically acclaimed, longest lasting of all of them.

I think Beyonce is just great. You're not a fan?

Obviously reality TV has certainly influenced the music industry but has it actually influenced music? I wouldn't say Clarkson's album deserves a spot in there, representative or not, in terms of music it's just not that important.

And aye I like Beyonce as much as the next man but will people remember the album in another five years time? Most people wouldn't remember it now.

Edited by ewerk

If we're talking influential 80s records (and even if we're not) I heard 'Egypt, Egypt' by Egyptian Lover for the first time in ages the other day on some random techno / electro mix. Fucking mint.

If we're talking influential 80s records (and even if we're not) I heard 'Egypt, Egypt' by Egyptian Lover for the first time in ages the other day on some random techno / electro mix. Fucking mint.

OOO Where, where?

OOO Where, where?

Just something I downloaded off a site where people stick on their mixes. I'll try and find the link (I've got it at home but I might be able to find it anyway).

Edit: Btw, if you like that sort of thing you should download the absolutely classic mix (which you can only get on vinyl and cassette formats) NY vs. LA Beats. Reminds me of trying to breakdance on bits on lino.

Edited by alex

OOO Where, where?

Just something I downloaded off a site where people stick on their mixes. I'll try and find the link (I've got it at home but I might be able to find it anyway).

Edit: Btw, if you like that sort of thing you should download the absolutely classic mix (which you can only get on vinyl and cassette formats) NY vs. LA Beats. Reminds me of trying to breakdance on bits on lino.

Mint, cheers Alex, ill have a look ;)

Love being able to just copy/paste people's suggestions from in here to Spotify and have instant access to a lot of albums.

Technology eh? Ain't it marvellous.

Love that 'On The Nile' album. How mint a song title is 'What is a DJ if he Can't Scratch?'?