Lingerie Football League

Sonatine

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my boycott of everything American stands.

When did it start like?

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=451003

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=451151

:D

The Bourne Ultimatum has more scenes in Britain than America.

Schindler's List?? How can you say that's a yank film?? A film about a Kraut businessman, played by an Irish (technically BRITISH) actor, about helping European Jews to survive.

That's like saying Man Utd and Liverpool are American clubs.

IMDB wouldn't agree with you. The Bourne Identity is classed as a US/Kraut/Czech production.

I'd assumed you were kidding anyway. Seems a particularly strange stance to be making when there's far less US TV exposure over here these days.

In the 80's the likes of Dallas, Dynasty, The A-Team and V were not only shite, but they were on UK boxes at prime time and lowering demand for British productions.

There's no prime time slots given to any US shows on terrestrial tv these days. That's why The Wire, Generation Kill, The Sopranos, The West Wing and other monumental series of the highest quality are barely known over here.

Guest Stevie

When did it start like?

Schindler's List?? How can you say that's a yank film?? A film about a Kraut businessman, played by an Irish (technically BRITISH) actor, about helping European Jews to survive.

IMDB wouldn't agree with you. The Bourne Identity is classed as a US/Kraut/Czech production.

I'd assumed you were kidding anyway. Seems a particularly strange stance to be making when there's far less US TV exposure over here these days.

In the 80's the likes of Dallas, Dynasty, The A-Team and V were not only shite, but they were on UK boxes at prime time and lowering demand for British productions.

There's no prime time slots given to any US shows on terrestrial tv these days. That's why The Wire, Generation Kill, The Sopranos, The West Wing and other monumental series of the highest quality are barely known over here.

V was good. Luckily on mainstream telly it's not saturated with all that bollocks but Sky and the cable channels....oh dear. How the fuck would you know V was shite, you're about 27 (going on 77 granted)?

Edited by Stevie

When did it start like?

V was good. Luckily on mainstream telly it's not saturated with all that bollocks but Sky and the cable channels....oh dear. How the fuck would you know V was shite, you're about 27 (going on 77 granted)?

Almost, I'm getting on for 30.

Maybe watching V a few years after it first aired I missed all the timely Regan era political commentary and being 10 or so I didn't take in the clever race relations observations, but if that was the peak of US tv output, I'd probably stop watching too.

America never intended to come into the war, most of their leaders were content making profits and staying out. In the end it took the daftness of the Japs and the contrivance of British intelligence to get them in (we did need the help mind).

Roosevelt was quite keen on Hitler at first, they entered the war because of Pearl Harbour, declared war on the Japs, Hitler then declared war on US, so they were forced to fight Germany. If that hadnt happened, not sure how Pearl Harbour would have played out.

Not a WW2 expert by a long way.

America never intended to come into the war, most of their leaders were content making profits and staying out. In the end it took the daftness of the Japs and the contrivance of British intelligence to get them in (we did need the help mind).

Roosevelt was quite keen on Hitler at first, they entered the war because of Pearl Harbour, declared war on the Japs, Hitler then declared war on US, so they were forced to fight Germany. If that hadnt happened, not sure how Pearl Harbour would have played out.

Not a WW2 expert by a long way.

I wouldn't like to think they would never have come in if Pearl hadn't been attacked, but that possibility does linger in the mind. The way things were going for the Germans in Russia and the spectacular rate the Russians armed themselves (with basic tanks etc) does imo provide some evidence that we wouldn't have necessarily lost the war without the U.S. (it would have gone on longer). The uncomfortable fact remains that vast swathes and a huge majority of America didn't want to enter the war to help us for a long period of time.

I have grave doubts about a country that doesn't understand cricket and refuses to take up football properly. :D

Saved our arses in the war apparently, not that i know much about the subject, just what one of them told me.

I know what you're saying is sarcastic towards them but people actually believe it over there. It's like saying Libya were the main players in the troubles in Northern Ireland because they were arming the IRA, not to mention the yank cunts with collection boxes in Boston, and McDonalds. America gave us a few guns because it was in their best interests for us to do the krauts, then they came over 300,000 of them, less than 1/10th of the British forces involved in the push, and claim they saved us, fucking yank mugs. If anyone saved us it was the Russians, keeping them busy and utterly battering them on the other side The Russians were 0-3 down at half time come back and won 8-3 that is what happened on the Eastern Front. Two countries can claim to have WON World War 2, the rest of them, especially America, nah.

During the war America fielded 6,000,000 in their armed forces.

How many over here steaming in to the krauts?

Not sure as they were like us split between 3 theatres the pacific, North africa/Italy and the Normandy invasion. Taking into consideration they suffered the worst losses on D-Day at Omaha beach (I think, this is off top of my head) then I doubt they fielded less than we did. Oh and the massacre pretty much they dropped into at St Mere Eglise.

You ever thought they weren't as tactically astute or as hard as us?

They seem to have trouble holding villages (against poorly armed villagers) - Vietnam and Iraq come to mind.

Exactly turned over in Vietnam off primitive Asians with spears. The US Army are the Newcastle United of military history.

Name me one battle the Americans lost in Vietnam apart from the P.R. one?

Saved our arses in the war apparently, not that i know much about the subject, just what one of them told me.

I know what you're saying is sarcastic towards them but people actually believe it over there. It's like saying Libya were the main players in the troubles in Northern Ireland because they were arming the IRA, not to mention the yank cunts with collection boxes in Boston, and McDonalds. America gave us a few guns because it was in their best interests for us to do the krauts, then they came over 300,000 of them, less than 1/10th of the British forces involved in the push, and claim they saved us, fucking yank mugs. If anyone saved us it was the Russians, keeping them busy and utterly battering them on the other side The Russians were 0-3 down at half time come back and won 8-3 that is what happened on the Eastern Front. Two countries can claim to have WON World War 2, the rest of them, especially America, nah.

Not sure as they were like us split between 3 theatres the pacific, North africa/Italy and the Normandy invasion. Taking into consideration they suffered the worst losses on D-Day at Omaha beach (I think, this is off top of my head) then I doubt they fielded less than we did. Oh and the massacre pretty much they dropped into at St Mere Eglise.

They seem to have trouble holding villages (against poorly armed villagers) - Vietnam and Iraq come to mind.

Exactly turned over in Vietnam off primitive Asians with spears. The US Army are the Newcastle United of military history.

Err...The battle to save their embassy for one. :D;)

Guest Stevie

They lost the whole thing. They went out there with a set of objectives the most sophisticated army in the world, achieved none of them and lost 60,000 troops from attacks off peasants in paddy fields, if that's not a 5-0 defeat away at Hampton and Richmond Reserves, I don't know what is.

They lost the whole thing. They went out there with a set of objectives the most sophisticated army in the world, achieved none of them and lost 60,000 troops from attacks off peasants in paddy fields, if that's not a 5-0 defeat away at Hampton and Richmond Reserves, I don't know what is.

No Stevie it was only a PR loss.... :D

Which one? The Tet Offensive when they drove them out soon enough and infliced heavy loss on the Vietnamese or the fall of Saigon which happened 2 years after the Americans withdrew from Vietnam.

Lolzies, the North Vietnamese/Vietcong were hardly a bunch of rice farmers who picked up a rifle one day and slaughtered Uncle Sam. They were being trained, armed, funded and supported by the Chinese and the Russains. They had tanks, helicopters, missiles and artillery among other goodies that go boom from the reds to go along with the home field advantage.

The war was hardly a resounding success overall, but the Americans were undefeated in on the battlefield and even after the Americans packed up and went home it took the North two full years of fighting to finally take Saigon.

And a question - how do you go places around the world without flying in a plane? Do you hot air balloon places you can't travel to via car?

Edited by Wally

Which one? The Tet Offensive when they drove them out soon enough and infliced heavy loss on the Vietnamese or the fall of Saigon which happened 2 years after the Americans withdrew from Vietnam.

Lolzies, the North Vietnamese/Vietcong were hardly a bunch of rice farmers who picked up a rifle one day and slaughtered Uncle Sam. They were being trained, armed, funded and supported by the Chinese and the Russains. They had tanks, helicopters, missiles and artillery among other goodies that go boom from the reds to go along with the home field advantage.

The war was hardly a resounding success overall, but the Americans were undefeated in on the battlefield and even after the Americans packed up and went home it took the North two full years of fighting to finally take Saigon.

America don't like it if the other side can actually defend themselves. :D

Err...The battle to save their embassy for one. :D :D

And a question - how do you go places around the world without flying in a plane? Do you hot air balloon places you can't travel to via car?

Is this the tit offensive? ;)

KFC creek?

KFC creek?

Think you'll find the Americans won that battle, heard there's more chance of getting the colonels 11 spices than Vietnamese food on your average Hanoi street. Could've saved some bother if they just sent in the franchise salesmen, then the military rather then the other way around...

11th Quarter Pounder Division did a bang up job in the Eastern Bloc.

Edited by Wally

The January-February 1968 Tet offensive sealed American defeat in the Vietnam War. Paradoxically the insurgent armies – the Peoples Army of Vietnam (PAVN) and the National Liberation Front (NLF) – achieved few of their main military or political objectives and suffered heavy casualties. But the dramatic scale of the offensive and the images of urban battles seen on TV screens around the world convinced world and American public opinion that the war could not be won by the US. It shattered the bravado and public optimism of the American government and their military commanders in the field. Within five months of the offensive American commander General William C. Westmorland had been sacked, the bombing of North Vietnam had been suspended and US president Lyndon Johnson had announced he would not stand again for a second term of office.

KFC creek?

Think you'll find the Americans won that battle, heard there's more chance of getting the colonels 11 spices than Vietnamese food on your average Hanoi street. Could've saved some bother if they just sent in the franchise salesmen, then the military rather then the other way around...

11th Quarter Pounder Division did a bang up job in the Eastern Bloc.

There was some trouble securing Hamburger Hill if memory serves. :D

Slightly off thread but what the fuck, an interesting table here by Britannica of which country created what.....

They also give credit for the www to the uk.

http://corporate.britannica.com/press/inventions.html

Australia get a mention for the boomerang. ;)

The US fuck-owns the UK in that list TBH.

The Encyclopaedia Britannica has been published by the US for the last 100+ years, so it may be a little biased.

The boomerang was evidently the first great invention, more than 15,000 years ago :D

Go Australia. :D

Anyway, chicks in lingerie.. woo

Guest alex
IF you look at it against population the British Isles are the biggest inventors on the planet. FACT.

Been around a little bit longer though.