Sir Bobby: Don't blame Mike Ashley for Newcastle's decline

Jimbo

Plus if Keegan had his way we'd have had a better squad with more cover, irrespective of everything else that followed we'd have got more points this season than we have just because of that.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drawing at Old Trafford on the first day of the season is not evidence of a club going in the right direction. I shouldnt need to explain why.

What would you say it WAS evidence of then?

Fuck all, just like the season before.

So holding the best club side in the world to a draw at their place means nothing eh? We all felt we might even win, THAT'S the confidence Keegan was instilling in us as fans and the players. Now we're not even sure we can beat Boro at home.

Guest alex

I don't recall many people fancying a win. We could have won though. I'd put that down to a rather tepid performance by Man Utd as well as our doing well though. Obviously KK had a better idea of how to go about things than Kinnear or Hughton on top of that. I.e. we'd have played for a draw and lost.

I don't recall many people fancying a win. We could have won though. I'd put that down to a rather tepid performance by Man Utd as well as our doing well though. Obviously KK had a better idea of how to go about things than Kinnear or Hughton on top of that. I.e. we'd have played for a draw and lost.

Yeah, I'm not saying we were expecting to win...but there was definitely a feeling that we COULD win. I seem to remember when it turned out that Ronaldo wasn't playing a few of us were saying we could nick a win.

I don't want to get hung up on one game as if it's irrefutable proof of anything, but the fact is we were on the up and that was all down to Keegan which is why I think Robson is so off the mark with his comments.

Edited by Asprilla

Guest alex

Yeah, I'm not saying we were expecting to win...but there was definitely a feeling that we COULD win. I seem to remember when it turned out that Ronaldo wasn't playing a few of us were saying we could nick a win.

I don't want to get hung up on one game as if it's irrefutable proof of anything, but the fact is we were on the up and that was all down to Keegan which is why I think Robson is so off the mark with his comments.

There was definitely some general optimism about things which is what I think you're saying, which was definitely down to the Keegan factor. Robson's argument is ridiculous anyway, even if you think KK is seriously to blame (not saying you do btw but Robson seems to) it's another appointment by Ashley in any case.

Most posters on here said bringing Keegan back was a bad thing.

He's a very very capable manager and he was proved that not just here but at every club he has been at, Keegan was fucked over by Ashley's system, in this league Keegan could have taken this squad and we would have finished 6th or there abouts.

I dunno with a few more players in (of his choice) and a bit of luck with injuries chasing Europe wouldn't have been out of the question this season.

Drawing at Old Trafford on the first day of the season is not evidence of a club going in the right direction. I shouldnt need to explain why.

So holding the best club side in the world to a draw at their place means nothing eh? We all felt we might even win, THAT'S the confidence Keegan was instilling in us as fans and the players. Now we're not even sure we can beat Boro at home.

Didnt for Reading in August 2007. Were Man U the best club in the world then? Dunno tbh.

Didnt for Reading in August 2007. Were Man U the best club in the world then? Dunno tbh.

Well, Reading just sat back and defended for their lives, United got desperate and didn't take their chances. But we could have won there in August 2008 and played some nice football.

Well, Reading just sat back and defended for their lives, United got desperate and didn't take their chances. But we could have won there in August 2008 and played some nice football.

They went down to 10 men after about 5 minutes and our performance that day had some nice moments but was limited.

Alex is right, it was a bright start but we would have still struggled.

Guest alex
I dunno with a few more players in (of his choice) and a bit of luck with injuries chasing Europe wouldn't have been out of the question this season.

That's a moot point though Fop because, as we now know, he wasn't the one recruiting the players. I agree it perhaps wouldn't have taken much though.

They went down to 10 men after about 5 minutes and our performance that day had some nice moments but was limited.

Alex is right, it was a bright start but we would have still struggled.

How many games would we have won this season that we lost or drew if we'd had a manager that got the team playing with confidence and enthusiasm? 6 pissing wins. :D

That's a moot point though Fop because, as we now know, he wasn't the one recruiting the players. I agree it perhaps wouldn't have taken much though.

I don't think it would (with a bit of luck too), for all the writing was on the wall regarding relegation this season well before Christmas, if things had been less mental (who would have thought we'd have Kinnear in charge at the beginning of this season? Never mind lose him too) we probably would have done ok, and with a bit of investment (it wasn't just summer we failed but also in January) and allowing Keegan to manage maybe even pretty well.

Guest alex

I don't think it would (with a bit of luck too), for all the writing was on the wall regarding relegation this season well before Christmas, if things had been less mental (who would have thought we'd have Kinnear in charge at the beginning of this season? Never mind lose him too) we probably would have done ok, and with a bit of investment (it wasn't just summer we failed but also in January) and allowing Keegan to manage maybe even pretty well.

I'm not bashing KK fop, quite the opposite. I agree with your basic premise that under different circumstances things would have been different (and better). The point I'm making is even Keegan would have struggled to do well with that squad. I think he'd have done better than Kinnear and Hughton though, obviously. Fwiw I don't think we've been that unlucky with injuries either. When you have one LB he's going to play a lot and fatigue will cause injury. Also when you have 3 injury-prone strikers it perhaps isn't surprising they get injured a lot, is it? I.e. the 'injury crisis' was completely predictable.

Aye it's just even now 48 points is 7th.... an enthused Keegan, his managerial style and a bit more cover/depth could have potentially been in reach with just 12 wins instead of 6.

Ashley needs a slap. :D;)

the 'injury crisis' was completely predictable.

Taking into account Newcastle's injury record over the last 10 years even Ray Charles could see what was inevitable.

I can see SBR's point, and tend to agree with most of his commentary but surely the fact that Ashley CHOSE those mongs to run the club means he is liable for some if not all of the blame?!

Even if Ashley's only downfall is naivety, it's on a grand scale, letting the likes of Wise run a major part of the club / business is nuts.

SBR is still a legend.

Can agree with SBR 100%, when the facts are put in place regarding club personnel he's bang right and has been in this game way too long to talk "a load of shite".

A successful businessman made educated judgements on his recruitment and he was let down, unfortunately he chose the most unforgiving club in the world. Nobody makes that kind of money and then thinks know I will go destroy potentially the biggest club in the country. Ashley knows he is sitting on a gold mine with Newcastle and I bet he's as pissed off as we are.

I can see SBR's point, and tend to agree with most of his commentary but surely the fact that Ashley CHOSE those mongs to run the club means he is liable for some if not all of the blame?!

Even if Ashley's only downfall is naivety, it's on a grand scale, letting the likes of Wise run a major part of the club / business is nuts.

SBR is still a legend.

I thought so. Players might underperform and make mistakes but ultimately it is the manager that takes the blame.

So surely if the Owner's appointments at board level make mistakes then it is ultimately his fault?