Aberdeen

Guest Stevie

What are you going up there to do? It's basically split between people who work in oil and gas, students and people who have lived there all there life and will never move.

Belmont Street's the best area to go out, it has a pub every few doors down, and generally is the go to place for young professionals and students. The best gig venues are probably Moshulu (near most of the strips bars, make sure you don't go too early) and The Tunnels, sometimes you'll get some decent bands playing at the AECC as well, but that's a bit out of town. There's a few decent bars dotted around the place -- The Prince of Wales (good selection of ales) and the Brewdog Bar (a local microbrewery with some great beers) are two of the best. Not much to do apart from drink there -- a few decent sized cinemas and an independent one on Belmont Street, there's the football at Pittodrie (although going to watch Aberdeen - Kilmarnock in January might not be the best game you've ever seen), lots of golf around the area if you're into that. There's a late night bakery on George Street that might come in handy.

If you have any specific questions let me now, it's been a few years since I lived there (I went to uni in 2003 and worked for a while before leaving in 2008) but I doubt too much has changed and I still have a load of friends up there to check things with.

It's not a shithole like a Liverpool or a Birmingham, or Luton or Middlesbrough, but it's just still about 30 years behind Newcastle. That fish market reminds me of the green market in Eldon Square when I was a young boy. It's just dull, kids of 20 turning out in Pringle jumpers and turn ups on their jeans with Dr Martens on. They look down their nose at the rest of Scotland too, and the rest of Scotland ridicules them, especially their orccent.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along the coast there are some decent little towns (some shit ones as well) and you can get the Inverness-Aberdeen rattler or endure the A96.

Further afield, around Kinloss there is loads of ex-forces accomodation that have all been done out. As they've closed the base, they're vitrually giving them away.

I've not missed it yet. I'll be back in two weeks for a week and a half. When you coming up?

Then again I'm not really one for going out and getting drunk but I'm not a fan of the place for a night out. I would highly recommend BrewDog though. :nufc:

Flats are not cheep to rent. Neither are the houses, though unless you want to live in a dive.

Where about are you going to be working and what are you going to be doing?

JJ's from Aberdeen too isn't he? :nufc:

Just a fan and likes the place maybe his family is from the area. But he is from the Borders, Peebles.

Oh aye, now you come to mention it I do remember him mentioning Peebles. :nufc:

I've not missed it yet. I'll be back in two weeks for a week and a half. When you coming up?

Then again I'm not really one for going out and getting drunk but I'm not a fan of the place for a night out. I would highly recommend BrewDog though. :nufc:

Flats are not cheep to rent. Neither are the houses, though unless you want to live in a dive.

Where about are you going to be working and what are you going to be doing?

I'll whack you a pm!