Anyone been to Cuba?

Renton

I can't get away this summer until late October which is too late for most places in Europe so thought I might give this a try. I'm hearing conflicting things about it though, especially regarding poverty etc. Also if I get my passport stamped will that spoil my chances of getting into the States? All opinions and experiences appreciated, thanks.

I've been toying with the idea of going on a cycling holiday there - if I get fit enough I'll probably go to Turkey in September but if it takes me till the winter then Cuba goes back on the agenda (either Xmas or Feb).

I think it would be interesting to go now before it gets "ruined" by warming relations with the US. I'd also say that having seen the Manics film of when they went you'd have to go there with a cynical but polite attitude to conditions.

No doubt Rob will give us the low down.

Went there in Jan about three years ago. One week touring and one week at the beach at Valadero (sp).

Very interesting place and the people are fantastic. Havana is on the edge of becoming a crumbling mess - some fine architecture but little money spent to keep it up to scratch. The other places we toured were pretty much the same - nice, but well past their best. Some of the places we stayed in had been built for the soviet holiday makers and were pretty crude (one place was a lottery in respect of water, hot or cold) and the food was pretty basic. However, I am really glad we went to see it before Fidel dies and things change back to what it was.

Did the same as Snakehips, would recommend 4-5 days in Havanna then 8-10 days touring, a few days doing the interior and national parks and a few days at a beach resort.

If you want cultural experience, Cuba is an interesting place. However, the one flaw in the plan is that October is the Hurricane season.

I can't get away this summer until late October which is too late for most places in Europe so thought I might give this a try. I'm hearing conflicting things about it though, especially regarding poverty etc. Also if I get my passport stamped will that spoil my chances of getting into the States? All opinions and experiences appreciated, thanks.

Nah! it's one of the most popular choices for Canucks, and i've never heard of anyone having an issue getting across the border afterwards.....Norht Korea maybe a problem but not Cuba

I've been toying with the idea of going on a cycling holiday there - if I get fit enough I'll probably go to Turkey in September but if it takes me till the winter then Cuba goes back on the agenda (either Xmas or Feb).

I think it would be interesting to go now before it gets "ruined" by warming relations with the US. I'd also say that having seen the Manics film of when they went you'd have to go there with a cynical but polite attitude to conditions.

No doubt Rob will give us the low down.

You might have issues with that.....my mate was dating a girl down there....met her on vacation ( he speaks the language) when he went back to visit, he had a lot of problems going from point A to point B.....lots of check points, had to have a reason to be there......maybe thats not the case but it was my mates experience....worth looking into

Did the same as Snakehips, would recommend 4-5 days in Havanna then 8-10 days touring, a few days doing the interior and national parks and a few days at a beach resort.

If you want cultural experience, Cuba is an interesting place. However, the one flaw in the plan is that October is the Hurricane season.

Cheers. We don't have long so will be doing 3 days in Havanna and the rest relaxing in a resort. The feedback I've gotten so far is Havanna is safe but there are a lot of scams. A friend bought tickets for the opera in the box office, went back that night to find the Opera house was merely a facade and the place didn't even exist!

I've checked and hurricanes are unlikely in late October/early November as its the tail end of the season and its a risk I'm willing to take. Famous last words.

Rentboy, I've got an email at work from my mate's missus reviewing the resort they stayed at in Cuba, and their trip to Havana etc. Can pass it on if you want. I hadn't replied cos everyone was talking cultural shit so I thought you might be mincing about the place with your bum bag on, puffing on a trouser cigar.

But you've shown your true pleb colours with the resort talk, so if it's of any use let me know. :wub:

Went for a beach holiday in Cuba best holiday I have ever had. My first all inclusive and it was amazing. Forget Cristal drink Buccanero beer if only for the name. Only time we went off the resort was to go for a 3 hour horse ride in the hills which was also amazing. I love the place and have been to America since. Loads of Americans go via Canada.

Cheers. We don't have long so will be doing 3 days in Havanna and the rest relaxing in a resort. The feedback I've gotten so far is Havanna is safe but there are a lot of scams. A friend bought tickets for the opera in the box office, went back that night to find the Opera house was merely a facade and the place didn't even exist!

I've checked and hurricanes are unlikely in late October/early November as its the tail end of the season and its a risk I'm willing to take. Famous last words.

The hurricane season officially started on June 1 and ended on November 30. - in the last few years tho there has normally only been 1 in November and they tend to occur further south than Cuba then

Rentboy, I've got an email at work from my mate's missus reviewing the resort they stayed at in Cuba, and their trip to Havana etc. Can pass it on if you want. I hadn't replied cos everyone was talking cultural shit so I thought you might be mincing about the place with your bum bag on, puffing on a trouser cigar.

But you've shown your true pleb colours with the resort talk, so if it's of any use let me know. :lol:

Cheers Gemmil, yep I'm going pleb class as I will need a proper break by then, and can't be arsed with touring a country full of vagabonds. Anyway the price is right so I'm going ahead and booking it, so the e-mail won't be necessary (unless its really bad!). I'm probably going to stay in Breezes for the resort part. I went to the Bahmas one once and the facilities were excellent if not the entertainment, should do the job.

But you've shown your true pleb colours with the resort talk, so if it's of any use let me know. :lol:

Cheers Gemmil, yep I'm going pleb class as I will need a proper break by then, and can't be arsed with touring a country full of vagabonds. Anyway the price is right so I'm going ahead and booking it, so the e-mail won't be necessary (unless its really bad!). I'm probably going to stay in Breezes for the resort part. I went to the Bahmas one once and the facilities were excellent if not the entertainment, should do the job.

Think they stayed at an Iberostar, which was a 5 star all-inclusive. His missus claimed it was the best one there, but that 5 stars in Cuba is not 5 stars anywhere else.

• 5 months later...

Got back yesterday afternoon after a 20 hour journey. Worth it though.

Havana is a fascinating place, reminded me of a kind of post-apocalyptic Barcelona (maybe a bit of an exageration!). Anyway, the place is incredibly vibrant, but the buidlings are spectacular and crumbling. The thing that struck me was the lack of street lights, it's all to easy to get lost as you wander around and end up in some quite scarey places. And for reasons unknown, cars seem to have very dim headlights which makes crossing the road hazardous. Are they expecting a blitz from the US any time soon?

Feel a bit disappointed I didn't get the chance to talk to many 'genuine' cubans, being suspicious of their motives and where they were trying to take us. Official guides and staff at the hotel were reluctant to talk about Castro as well. So I'm really none the wiser about how the people feel about the situation; however I think probably the status quo will not last much longer. Whether this is a good thing I'm unsure, there didn't appear to be any grinding poverty like you get in Jamaica a few hundred miles south, but at the same time they have no real freedom and aspirations are stifled. Imagine living without a passport; what a depressing prospect.

The resort I stayed in was over run by Canadians who had brought their own giant mugs for beer and cocktails, as they felt the ones the hotel supplied were inadequate! Seemed a freindly enough bunch, but they had no interests beyond the beach and bar. Consequently there was not enough people for any other trips to other parts of the island which was a bummer. The weather was superb from start to finish and the coral reefs just 100 metres from the hotel were amazing.

I'd imagine Cuba would be brilliant for younger people on a budget as it is amazingly cheap; however apparently the cheaper food places are hazardous to western health. Otherwise if anyone goes make sure you get some proper time in Havana unless you just want your bog standard Carribean holiday but with worse than normal quality. Also bring some western stuff you're willing to leave behind if you can fit it in your case - clothes and toiletries especially. These are in short supply in Cuba and the recipients will be very happy.

Finally one word on Nationwide, the pack of cunts. Despite phoning in advance advising I would be in Cuba from 10 days, they cancelled my card after the first transaction leaving me short on cash for most my stay. This is the THIRD time this has happened to me, the thick twats. I had a spare compatible (non US) card but had forgotten the PIN so couldn't get cash out (and you are ripped off everywhere using credit cards). Oh aye, and you have to pay a 25 peso departure tax. This is basically the government comitting daylight robbery but is not unique to Cuba I guess.

• 7 months later...
Guest The Three Lions

:D

Hey Rentboy, nae more scags.

Looked a canny place on Auf Wiedesehen Pet didn't it, I bet it's cheap as chips when you're there. I know a couple who went on honeymoon there, and got divorced when they got back though.

We're looking at holidays for next year, I'm thinking Cuba.

Does anyone know of any decent sites to look at for booking up?

Try Trailfinders Jonny. This will give you the option of splitting your time between Havana and somewhere with a beach, but take the hassle out of sorting accomodation and transport etc.

Cuba is amazing value at the moment, iirc my holiday there was cheaper than going to France or Scotland! I'm going to Mexico in November which is amazing value at the moment too - hurricanes and pig flu have put people off. I'm doing that as a standard package.

Looked a canny place on Auf Wiedesehen Pet didn't it, I bet it's cheap as chips when you're there. I know a couple who went on honeymoon there, and got divorced when they got back though.

That was the Dominican Republic though. They weren't allowed to film in Cuba.

Guest The Three Lions

Really? Wasn't aware of that.

Really? Wasn't aware of that.

Aye, I read it somewhere. They tried to get permission to film in Cuba but in the end they settled for the Dominican after they couldn't get the permits etc. they needed. Funny really because they do need tourism.