Pre-Season

NEWCASTLE United can confirm that they will tackle three English opponents as part of their pre-season preparations ahead of the 2009/10 Coca-Cola Championship campaign.

The first of those matches will see the Geordies make the short trip down the A1 to take on League Two Darlington on Saturday, July 18 at the Northern Echo Darlington Arena (kick-off 12.30pm).

United are again on the road just three days later (Tuesday, July 21) when they face former Magpie Lee Clark's League One Huddersfield Town at the Galpharm Stadium (kick-off 7.45pm).

And the only home friendly of the summer will be against Leeds United on Wednesday, July 29 (kick-off 7.45pm).

.co.uk

Edited by 1892

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huddersfield match is an awkward kick off.

£15 for a ticket too! I paid that for the Valencia friendly last year!

Oh well I have a mate down their so I might pop along.

Lee Clark says :-

"We first made contact when Alan (Shearer) was in charge and put the idea of a pre-season friendly to them, but obviously they didn't know which division they would be in at that point. We have been in constant dialogue ever since and I would like to thank the people at Newcastle for giving us this opportunity.

"They may have been relegated to the Championship, but they are still a huge draw because of the support they generate. They represent a tremendous test for my lads at just the right time in terms of our pre-season work.

"It is a step up in the level that we are used to facing - they are a higher quality opposition and they will test us to the maximum. The game will be particularly useful for the fitness level of my team, as well as getting things sorted out both technically and tactically.

"Having a game against Newcastle United is fantastic for both me and my staff as we all have links with the club in different ways, but my thought process was purely on getting the best possible fixtures for Huddersfield in order to prepare our lads for August 8th and this game gives us that opportunity. I am more than happy with how our pre-season schedule has shaped up."

They reckon they will bring 3 or 4 thousand too!

and a few reckon they will beat us :scratchchin:

One guy..

Fucking hell lads, it's Newcastle not Real Madrid!

:razz:

No Summer tournament this year?

Meh :razz:

To be fair last years was utter wank :scratchchin:

Indeed it was, main reason to get Setanta tbh, I cancelled yesterday. Can't find the ticket prices for these on .cock?

Huddersfield is £15, £10 for concessions.

Leeds & Darlington will be in the same region.

Cheers.

Bit undecided whether I'll attend the away games.

Well I have a good friend in Huddersfield so I'll go there if I can.

Darlington on a Saturday is £5 on the train for me - from Durham.

So I might go to both if not one.

Wonder why the Darlington game is an early kick off. I work til 1pm most Saturdays, and while my boss lets me swap around for aways a lot of the time, I doubt he'd do it for a friendly-could have done both if it was 3pm :scratchchin:

Wonder why the Darlington game is an early kick off. I work til 1pm most Saturdays, and while my boss lets me swap around for aways a lot of the time, I doubt he'd do it for a friendly-could have done both if it was 3pm :scratchchin:

Last season I'm sure Doncaster was an early KO aswell - dunno why.

Guest Stevie

Just say it's a league game if he's dim, or say the cats got worms and it's the only slot the vets got. "Aye nee bother."

Guest Stevie

I know we played Yeading in a pre season friendly at home, but that was a favour, what favours do we owe Leeds. A mickey mouse club from Yorkshire, who are no real attraction from the division below. They are a rugby town club who have never averaged over 40,000 in their existance. Just shows how desperate our situation is that we arrange friendlies on June the fuckin 17th against lower league sides at home. Oh dear. I mean why invite Leeds? They might bring 3,000 for a visit to a far bigger club fair enough, it's a taste of the big time even for the stadium which they haven't had for 5 years, but Leeds? Arsehole fans etc, why ask Leeds, why not fuckin Norwich? I reckon we'll have 5,000+ Darlo and Hudds as long as we get taken over and signings are made.

Huddersfield have a Premier League standard ground but I think a couple of stands will be closed.

Not a problem as there's normally quite a few free seats even for league games.

I know we played Yeading in a pre season friendly at home, but that was a favour, what favours do we owe Leeds. A mickey mouse club from Yorkshire, who are no real attraction from the division below. They are a rugby town club who have never averaged over 40,000 in their existance. Just shows how desperate our situation is that we arrange friendlies on June the fuckin 17th against lower league sides at home. Oh dear. I mean why invite Leeds? They might bring 3,000 for a visit to a far bigger club fair enough, it's a taste of the big time even for the stadium which they haven't had for 5 years, but Leeds? Arsehole fans etc, why ask Leeds, why not fuckin Norwich? I reckon we'll have 5,000+ Darlo and Hudds as long as we get taken over and signings are made.

Doubt we'd take 5k to Hudds like, maybe 3k. Didn't we take 2k to Hull in Pre Season?