transfer embargo

tinofbeans

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/ju...mbargo-takeover

Newcastle United are doing nothing to reduce their £65m annual wage bill and have taken the extraordinary step of placing an embargo on any transfers until the managerless Championship club is sold.

Considering that sources close to on-going efforts to sell Newcastle have indicated that Mike Ashley, the owner, may not find a buyer this summer, this represents a high-risk strategy. Even if Ashley does succeed in this ambition, the most optimistic estimates gauge a takeover to be around a month away – in other words perilously close to the closure of the summer transfer window.

"There will be no players coming or going until the takeover has been completed," said a senior Newcastle source. "There will not be a firesale and it is up to the new owners and manager to decide who comes and who goes.

"The transfer market does not really get going until August and Newcastle will not be doing any business until a buyer has been found. It is all on hold."

Alex Black, the agent of Alan Smith, who is coveted by Blackburn Rovers, has already experienced this policy in action. "Newcastle United have put a sort of embargo on players moving in or out of the club until the situation is resolved in terms of ownership," explained Black. "So what can you do until that is sorted out? It is in Newcastle's hands."

Up to seven senior players are threatening to challenge this embargo by sumbitting written transfer requests early next week if Alan Shearer has not been installed as Newcastle's manager.

Shearer remains "completely in the dark" about events at St James' Park and is deeply concerned that Newcastle are missing out on opportunities to both offload players unsuited to the rigours of the Championship and recruit those possessing the pace and toughness required during the impending campaign.

I would expect this to be standard procedure, you couldn't negotiate selling a house and then tell the new owners when you hand over the keys that you've flogged the garage and shed, although knowing Ashley as we do, I wouldn't be surprised.

I would expect this to be standard procedure, you couldn't negotiate selling a house and then tell the new owners when you hand over the keys that you've flogged the garage and shed, although knowing Ashley as we do, I wouldn't be surprised.

It's more like the taps and sink. Pud posted in another thread that it appears he's already subdivided the garage and backyard into another company.

Fuck I hate Ashley.

It's more like the taps and sink. Pud posted in another thread that it appears he's already subdivided the garage and backyard into another company.

Fuck I hate Ashley.

Must have. It's well within him MO.

what the fuck are we going to do if we end up with the same group of players at the start of the season, an owener still in charge of the club that doesn't want to be here, a crippling wage bill and players that would rather fuck off elsewhere too? it doesn't bear thinking about

surely need to get rid of the highly paid stars ASAP?

bring down the wage bill to make it more attractive to sell....

get a transfer kitty together....

start getting the caretaker manager to look at potential signings (assuming Shearer might not be hired as manager).

need to start preparing for the new season, not just sit on arse & hope everything works out.