Man City Line up Barcelona friendly

Tom

Manchester City will play European champions Barcelona in a friendly at the Nou Camp on Wednesday, 19 August.

City were originally due to play Everton in the Premier League, but the fixture has been rearranged because of the Toffees' Europa League qualifier.

The sides have met five times before, all friendlies, with the last meeting when the Catalan giants helped to open the City of Manchester Stadium in 2003.

City won that game 2-1 with goals from Nicolas Anelka and Trevor Sinclair.

The English Premier League season begins on Saturday, 15 August, while the Spanish La Liga competition starts on 31 August.

Barcelona beat Manchester United 2-0 in May to win the Champions League final.

They play Blackburn before and Wolves after in the Premier League.

It seems a bit daft to me and it seems that City are concentrating more on becoming a global brand through money rather than actual footballing prowess.

"City won that game 2-1 with goals from Nicolas Anelka and Trevor Sinclair. "

He was in my place of work t'other day. What a guy.

But yeah this friendly does seem a bit daft.

Edited by Nyff

But yeah this friendly does seem a bit daft. Will the Spanish League have started by then as well?

Do you ever get the feeling people don't read your posts properly Tom?

Mid-season friendlies used to be part and parcel of league football. I remember us playing Monaco one season back in the 80s - the club used it as a opportunity to trial out players they'd brought in on loan.

This match however is all about cash and probably for status. It'd be fucking hilarious if a couple of the big money signings got crocked.

Manchester City will play European champions Barcelona in a friendly at the Nou Camp on Wednesday, 19 August.

City were originally due to play Everton in the Premier League, but the fixture has been rearranged because of the Toffees' Europa League qualifier.

The sides have met five times before, all friendlies, with the last meeting when the Catalan giants helped to open the City of Manchester Stadium in 2003.

City won that game 2-1 with goals from Nicolas Anelka and Trevor Sinclair.

The English Premier League season begins on Saturday, 15 August, while the Spanish La Liga competition starts on 31 August.

Barcelona beat Manchester United 2-0 in May to win the Champions League final.

They play Blackburn before and Wolves after in the Premier League.

It seems a bit daft to me and it seems that City are concentrating more on becoming a global brand through money rather than actual footballing prowess.

If Ashley had come in and splashed the cash he'd not be in the shit he is now tbf. The only way to jump the queue is to spend money and tart yourself around in the name of building your club profile. It does suck dogs nob though.

Guest Stevie

But yeah this friendly does seem a bit daft.