The top ten teams of the past 25 years

Tooj

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6789124.ece

1: Arsenal 2001-04

The 2002 team were superb, but the “Invincibles”, who went through the season undefeated two years later, were truly exceptional. Thierry Henry and others were at the peak of their powers, but the main difference between this and subsequent Arsenal sides was in their indomitable spirit and physical strength. No European Cup, but what a team.

2: Manchester United 2006-09

Even Ryan Giggs has questioned whether this is a truly great team, rather than merely a successful one, but their three consecutive titles and two Champions League final appearances have come at a time when the England League's elite is more powerful than ever. The question is whether they can still flourish without Cristiano Ronaldo.

3. Chelsea 2004-2009

We are talking here about the side fashioned by José Mourinho, which still, at its best, bears his hallmark. They are not quite the force they were when they won the England League with a record points tally in 2005, but two league titles and a series of near-misses in the Champions League do scant justice to the team that José built.

4: Manchester United 1995-2001

Over six years that yielded five league titles and a long-awaited Champions League success in 1999, United were truly dominant. Four and five-goal victories were ritual, but so too were the comebacks that drew on the character and spirit of Roy Keane, David Beckham and a team for whom winning was second nature.

5: Liverpool 1987-90

The football that Liverpool played in 1987-88, with John Barnes a mesmerising presence on the left wing, was simply irresistible. They would surely have been higher up this list had the ban on English clubs' from European competition not denied them the chance to measure themselves against the great AC Milan team of the same era.

6: Everton 1984-87

In a heady three-year spell, Howard Kendall led Everton from mediocrity to two league titles, three FA Cup Finals (one victory) and the European Cup Winners' Cup. Class ran right through this cheaply assembled team, from Neville Southall to the wonderful midfield quartet of Trevor Steven, Paul Bracewell, Peter Reid and Kevin Sheedy.

7: Manchester United 1992-94

Yes they flopped in the Champions League, but Sir Alex Ferguson is not alone in regarding this as his favourite United team. With characters such as Peter Schmeichel, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Roy Keane and Mark Hughes, they were a fearsome lot, but they also played some marvellous stuff, with Eric Cantona a talismanic presence up front.

8: Arsenal 1997-99

Not quite as successful in trophy-winning terms as George Graham's Arsenal, but their double triumph in their first full season under Arsène Wenger was as spectacular as it was unexpected. Wenger built on the foundations of Graham's celebrated back four, with Marc Overmars, Dennis Bergkamp and a young Nicolas Anelka bringing flair to Highbury at last.

9: Blackburn Rovers 1994-95

Nothing like as eye-catching as Kevin Keegan's Newcastle but, backed by the wealth of Jack Walker and managed by Kenny Dalglish, they won the title with 89 points in 1995. They relied heavily on the goals of Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, but this unglamorous team also had an incredible work ethic and, crucially, perfect balance.

10: Newcastle United 1994-96

The only trophy-less team on the list, but Kevin Keegan's Newcastle will live longer in the memory than Leeds United'ss champions of 1992 or Liverpool's cup treble winners of 2001. Epitomised by the flair of David Ginola, they captivated audiences across the country. Nor was their defensive record as bad as people seem to think.

The football that Liverpool played in 1987-88, with John Barnes a mesmerising presence on the left wing, was simply irresistible. They would surely have been higher up this list had the ban on English clubs’ from European competition not denied them the chance to measure themselves against the great AC Milan team of the same era.

Yet the Arsenal team got top spot even though they couldn't do it in Europe?

By all accounts and from what I have seen with all of the great teams Liverpool have had most Liverpool fans and people I have spoken to say that team with Beardsley and Barnes was their best of all of the sides they have had.

I also believe Man Utd's treble winning team were a better team than the 2006-09 one.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6789124.ece

1: Arsenal 2001-04

The 2002 team were superb, but the “Invincibles”, who went through the season undefeated two years later, were truly exceptional. Thierry Henry and others were at the peak of their powers, but the main difference between this and subsequent Arsenal sides was in their indomitable spirit and physical strength. No European Cup, but what a team.

2: Manchester United 2006-09

Even Ryan Giggs has questioned whether this is a truly great team, rather than merely a successful one, but their three consecutive titles and two Champions League final appearances have come at a time when the England League's elite is more powerful than ever. The question is whether they can still flourish without Cristiano Ronaldo.

3. Chelsea 2004-2009

We are talking here about the side fashioned by José Mourinho, which still, at its best, bears his hallmark. They are not quite the force they were when they won the England League with a record points tally in 2005, but two league titles and a series of near-misses in the Champions League do scant justice to the team that José built.

4: Manchester United 1995-2001

Over six years that yielded five league titles and a long-awaited Champions League success in 1999, United were truly dominant. Four and five-goal victories were ritual, but so too were the comebacks that drew on the character and spirit of Roy Keane, David Beckham and a team for whom winning was second nature.

The football that Liverpool played in 1987-88, with John Barnes a mesmerising presence on the left wing, was simply irresistible. They would surely have been higher up this list had the ban on English clubs' from European competition not denied them the chance to measure themselves against the great AC Milan team of the same era.

6: Everton 1984-87

In a heady three-year spell, Howard Kendall led Everton from mediocrity to two league titles, three FA Cup Finals (one victory) and the European Cup Winners' Cup. Class ran right through this cheaply assembled team, from Neville Southall to the wonderful midfield quartet of Trevor Steven, Paul Bracewell, Peter Reid and Kevin Sheedy.

7: Manchester United 1992-94

Yes they flopped in the Champions League, but Sir Alex Ferguson is not alone in regarding this as his favourite United team. With characters such as Peter Schmeichel, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Roy Keane and Mark Hughes, they were a fearsome lot, but they also played some marvellous stuff, with Eric Cantona a talismanic presence up front.

8: Arsenal 1997-99

Not quite as successful in trophy-winning terms as George Graham's Arsenal, but their double triumph in their first full season under Arsène Wenger was as spectacular as it was unexpected. Wenger built on the foundations of Graham's celebrated back four, with Marc Overmars, Dennis Bergkamp and a young Nicolas Anelka bringing flair to Highbury at last.

9: Blackburn Rovers 1994-95

Nothing like as eye-catching as Kevin Keegan's Newcastle but, backed by the wealth of Jack Walker and managed by Kenny Dalglish, they won the title with 89 points in 1995. They relied heavily on the goals of Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, but this unglamorous team also had an incredible work ethic and, crucially, perfect balance.

10: Newcastle United 1994-96

The only trophy-less team on the list, but Kevin Keegan's Newcastle will live longer in the memory than Leeds United'ss champions of 1992 or Liverpool's cup treble winners of 2001. Epitomised by the flair of David Ginola, they captivated audiences across the country. Nor was their defensive record as bad as people seem to think.

The football that Liverpool played in 1987-88, with John Barnes a mesmerising presence on the left wing, was simply irresistible. They would surely have been higher up this list had the ban on English clubs’ from European competition not denied them the chance to measure themselves against the great AC Milan team of the same era.

Yet the Arsenal team got top spot even though they couldn't do it in Europe?

By all accounts and from what I have seen with all of the great teams Liverpool have had most Liverpool fans and people I have spoken to say that team with Beardsley and Barnes was their best of all of the sides they have had.

I also believe Man Utd's treble winning team were a better team than the 2006-09 one.

It's hard to compare teams from different era's, but the Liverpool side with Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton, McMahon, Aldridge etc were up there with the best that I can remember, they were a class above anything in the league at the same time. You couldn't put it down to SKY or CL money either, when they got a head of steam up attacking the Kop they were relentless, the BBC picked out a 5-0 hammering of a decent Forest side and highlighted it as the ultimate game of attacking, if you take away the blatant arse licking that the BBC gives Liverpool, (even then when there was no Hansen and Lawro working for them), you have to say they weren't too far off the mark, to be fair, they weren't too slow at using the pass back when it suited (and when Grobelaar could pick it up).

It's hard to compare teams from different era's, but the Liverpool side with Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton, McMahon, Aldridge etc were up there with the best that I can remember, they were a class above anything in the league at the same time. You couldn't put it down to SKY or CL money either, when they got a head of steam up attacking the Kop they were relentless, the BBC picked out a 5-0 hammering of a decent Forest side and highlighted it as the ultimate game of attacking, if you take away the blatant arse licking that the BBC gives Liverpool, (even then when there was no Hansen and Lawro working for them), you have to say they weren't too far off the mark, to be fair, they weren't too slow at using the pass back when it suited (and when Grobelaar could pick it up).

Recent things always tend to be overweighted.

How else could Princess Diana get so high in that Greatest Britain vote. :lol:

Is there any Mag out there that remembers us going to Anfield/Old Trafford and not expecting a hiding? (on the pitch).

Apart from a couple of years under KK I'm struggling, even when we did beat Liverpool 2-1 when Mirandinha got the winner, they battered us, my uncle and cousin were both Liverpool fans from Ulster and would give have a good laugh on the phone after their usual 4-1 win over us, Andy Coles hat-trick at SJP against them was very fucking sweet for me especially.

The Liverpool side of the 87-90 era was by far the most dominant side I've ever witnessed.

I suppose the counter-argument to that is we'll never know if they'd have dominated Europe like the late 70s / early 80s vintage. Their own fault like :lol:

The Liverpool side of the 87-90 era was by far the most dominant side I've ever witnessed.

I suppose the counter-argument to that is we'll never know if they'd have dominated Europe like the late 70s / early 80s vintage. Their own fault like :lol:

Indeed it was their own fault. The likes of Everton, Coventry & Wimbledon must have been seriously fucked off by the lack of European football back then.

How else could Princess Diana get so high in that Greatest Britain vote. :lol:

because of her pin-point passing & she could swerve the ball from 40 yards???

the liverpool side of the 70s and 80s should top the list. although that everton side of the mid 80s was class. southall, radcliffe, bracewell, reid, sheedy, stevens, steven and take your pick from sharpe, gray and lineker up top.

Dominant is perhaps the wrong word - they were certainly the most attractive/flare-ful of the Liverpool teams of the 70s/80s but I'd say the previous team of about 84 were more dominant in being more "professional" - ie win at all cost cunts.

Dominant is perhaps the wrong word - they were certainly the most attractive/flare-ful of the Liverpool teams of the 70s/80s but I'd say the previous team of about 84 were more dominant in being more "professional" - ie win at all cost cunts.

that team of the late 80s were so good to watch though. pedro, digger barnes, rush/aldridge, houghton et al different class

lol at defensive tactics before the back pass rule came in

Hansen and his 60 back passes to the keeper per game.

Fabulous player though.

hansen/lawro was probably the best centre back pairing i've seen in the top flight of english football

Fabulous player though.

hansen/lawro was probably the best centre back pairing i've seen in the top flight of english football

who would've thought one would become a walking cliche and the other a collosal cunt

Fabulous player though.

They could both play a bit as well. I can't marry up the image of Lawrenson as the hard player and him as a camp as fuck TV pundit. Mind, you get some huckles who are nails.

I was thinking of that on Saturday when Lawrensen was bleating on about Collocini getting rid of it quickly - I'd guess him and Hansen being the players they were, they would have been able to cope with the modern game but I still had a mental "you never had to bother" moment.

I was thinking of that on Saturday when Lawrensen was bleating on about Collocini getting rid of it quickly - I'd guess him and Hansen being the players they were, they would have been able to cope with the modern game but I still had a mental "you never had to bother" moment.

Liverpool haven't won the league since it was brought in iirc.

Guest Stevie

The best English side of my lifetime were Liverpool 87-88. I wouldn't want to say 87-90, because I think when Rush came back and Aldridge fucked off to Spain they lost a lot. Their team was so perfect with Aldridge and Beardsley, Barnes on the left or in the centre, Houghton playing in an advanced midfield role with his number 9 shirt on, Aldridge loved number 8 for some reason, Hansen at the back. Honest to god if that team had've played in the European Cup they'd have been champions of Europe above AC Milan without a doubt. Every second week they seemed to win 4-0 at home, and they only lost their unbeaten record with about 6 or 7 games left in the season. Like I say though Rush came back in 88, Aldridge thought fuck this, went on to become a mini legend in Spain, and even though they won it in 1990 again, they were never the same Liverpool after that in my view. In to the 90's Souness fucked everything up, and Hillsborough took the stuffing out of the club long term, and they never got that magic of 87/88 back.

How else could Princess Diana get so high in that Greatest Britain vote. :rolleyes:

because of her pin-point passing & she could swerve the ball from 40 yards???

That (if only Bobby had taken her to the WC. :icon_lol:) and Saving The World. She was too good to live. :lol:

Pedro reckons Barnes is the best player he's ever played with by absolutely miles.

he was different class like. shame he never did it for england....or us. he was like a beached whale by the time he rocked up at sjp

Pedro reckons Barnes is the best player he's ever played with by absolutely miles.

he was different class like. shame he never did it for england....or us. he was like a beached whale by the time he rocked up at sjp

Still our top scorer that year though wasn't he? Even though his legs had went you could still see evidence of his footballing brain. Just his body couldn't keep up with it.

Thought he did okay for us - too easy to group him with Rush who was dogshit.