The Northern Lights

Christmas Tree

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would've been best to go out the day it actually hits, so if it's clear tomorrow night then I doubt it will be as strong if owt at all? Just like the past few days, it was better just after it hit the magnectic field and then a few hours after that.

Well the big magnetic storm hit tonight and it looks as though people without clouds are getting a right good show. One day earlier and we would have had a feast ourselves. :(

Anyway, Im going to keep a few of these geeky guys on the twitter and try and get advance notification of the next biggy coming our way.

The geeks are also talking about the international space station passing overhead tomorrow morning between 6.49 and 6.53 if any ones up and about.

Im sure I once saw this or the shuttle when I was sun bathing in the French countryside.

Well the big magnetic storm hit tonight and it looks as though people without clouds are getting a right good show. One day earlier and we would have had a feast ourselves. :(

Anyway, Im going to keep a few of these geeky guys on the twitter and try and get advance notification of the next biggy coming our way.

The geeks are also talking about the international space station passing overhead tomorrow morning between 6.49 and 6.53 if any ones up and about.

Im sure I once saw this or the shuttle when I was sun bathing in the French countryside.

Don't think you'd be able to see it through the day like. I think it's only visible when it's dark on down on the ground and the sun is reflecting off it.

Don't think you'd be able to see it through the day like. I think it's only visible when it's dark on down on the ground and the sun is reflecting off it.

I would have thought that as well, but the skies were so crystal clear you could almost see the blackness of space.

It definitely wasnt a plane so must have either been the shuttle, ISS OR a satellite.

NASA site reckons it's only visible at night, mate. I think the Shuttle is only visible in daylight when it's coming in to land. Which it wouldn't have been in / near France. Could've been a weather balloon mebbies?

Quick google....

It’s even possible to see the International Space Station during the day as Etienne Simian of Saint Martin de Crau, France did. The smudged dot on the right is Venus. The station is in the upper left. Again, his setup modest with a webcam doing the capturing.

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/seeing-the-international-space-station-from-earth-20090326/

daytime-iss-venus.jpg

Edited by Christmas Tree

Quick google....

It’s even possible to see the International Space Station during the day as Etienne Simian of Saint Martin de Crau, France did. The smudged dot on the right is Venus. The station is in the upper left. Again, his setup modest with a webcam doing the capturing.

http://www.geek.com/...earth-20090326/

daytime-iss-venus.jpg

That's amazing tbf. I was just going off what I read like. Do you reckon that's what it was then?

Quick google....

http://www.geek.com/...earth-20090326/

daytime-iss-venus.jpg

That's amazing tbf. I was just going off what I read like. Do you reckon that's what it was then?

At the time, I was pretty much convinced. We are all familiar with jets at various heights in the sky and this was much higher and a totally different shape. As I say, I think the tones of the crystal sky in the French countryside made it better.

@VirtualAstro

Virtual Astronomer

Look out for Venus and the crescent Moon close together early this evening, just after sunset - It will be a beautiful sight!

@ReadingAS

Reading Astronomy

you can spot Venus in daylight now. Use the Moon as a guide and look about three finger widths at arms length in the 7 o'clock position

@VirtualAstro

Virtual Astronomer

Look out for Venus and the crescent Moon close together early this evening, just after sunset - It will be a beautiful sight!

I saw this when driving home from work earlier. Had no idea what I was looking at until reading this though. Amazing.

@VirtualAstro

Virtual Astronomer

I saw this when driving home from work earlier. Had no idea what I was looking at until reading this though. Amazing.

Aye, nice clear skies here atm so I got a good view.

Venus has been knocking about next to the moon for a while now, bright in the early evening and seen in the south east when the moon is rising. Its one of the few things you can mahke out at night in this city. On the other hand, the view from next to the Lake in Switzerland at night is incredible. No chance of any northern lights from there of course.