The Northern Lights

Christmas Tree

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After dark.

;)

I don't think they can predict it that accurately, rather they just know when conditions are conducive (i.e. clear night and high levels of solar activity).

After dark.

;)

I don't think they can predict it that accurately, rather they just know when conditions are conducive (i.e. clear night and high levels of solar activity).

:D Fuck it, think I'm going to take a drive up north "after dark."

Northern lights: did you see the aurora borealis?

The phenomenon was visible in skies above the UK and US on Sunday night. But how many people were able to see it? Share your images if you were lucky enough to capture the lights to help chart this most recent display

People in parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland and along England's north east coast were treated to a dazzling display of the northern lights on Sunday night.

Also known as the aurora borealis, the lights appear in a ring shape creating a glowing curtain across the sky. According to our insiders' guide to the northern lights:

This glow is caused by high-energy electrons colliding with oxygen atoms and nitrogen molecules. The basic process is the same as that of a neon sign, which involves a vacuum and a high voltage electrical discharge.

The electric power is generated by a combination of the solar wind, a hot ionized gas blowing out from the sun, and the Earth's magnetic field. This produces more than 1,000 times the electrical power of the world's largest power plant.

Images shared by skygazers on Twitter suggest that Sunday's spectacle was also visible from parts of US, particularly the east coast, and Iceland.

Did you see the northern lights on Sunday? We want to find out how many places the aurora was visible from and are asking people to share their photos of the spectacle with us.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jan/23/northern-lights-photographs?newsfeed=true

A powerful flare erupted from the sun Thursday (Jan. 19), unleashing a plasma wave that may supercharge the northern lights for skywatchers in high latitudes this weekend.

The solar flare occurred at about 11:30 am EST (1600 GMT) and touched off a massive solar explosion — known as a coronal mass ejection — aimed at Earth, space weather experts and officials said. The charged particles from the sun explosion should reach Earth by Saturday night (Jan. 21), and could amp up northern lights displays when they hit the upper atmosphere.

"Forecasters say strong geomagnetic storms are possible when the cloud arrives during the late hours of Jan. 21st. High-latitude (and possibly middle-latitude) sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend," the skywatching website Spaceweather.com announced in an alert.

RELATED: Are you scientifically literate? Take our quiz!

Several space telescopes recorded photos and video of the solar flare, including NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) and the Solar Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO). [Photo and video of the solar flare]

According to the Space Weather Prediction Center maintained by NOAA, Thursday's solar flare erupted from an active sunspot group called Region 1401. Another solar hotspot, called Region 1402, is also fired off a flare, the center reported.

Auroras occur when charged particles from the sun interact with Earth's upper atmosphere, releasing visible light in the process. The particles are funneled toward Earth's polar regions by the planet's magnetic field, with the northern auroral displays known as the aurora borealis, or northern lights. The southern counterpart is called the aurora australis, or southern lights.

Thursday's solar flare rated as a powerful M2-class sun storm on the scale used by astronomers to measure flare strength. M-class storms are powerful, but mid-range, types of solar flares. They fall between the weaker C-class flares and the most powerful X-class solar storms, which can pose a threat to satellites and astronauts in orbit, cause widespread communications interference and damage infrastructure on Earth when aimed directly at the planet.

SDO mission scientists have said that sunspot group 1401 has been unleashing solar flares almost daily as the sun's rotation slowly turned the solar hotspot toward Earth in recent days. On Wednesday (Jan. 18), the region unleashed an M1.7-class solar flare, they said in a Twitter post.

The sun is currently in the middle of an active phase of its 11-year solar weather cycle. The current sun storm cycle, called Solar Cycle 24, is expected to peak in 2013, NASA scientists have said.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0120/Northern-lights-Huge-solar-flare-may-trigger-Saturday-night-show

Maybe missed the best of it by now :(

Also add this bit of geek stuff from the comments section of the above piece.

I would heartily recommend https://twitter.com/#!/Camilla_SDO mascot of the Solar Dynamic Observatory!

Live views via SDO itself in different wavelengths:

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Also essential is http://spaceweather.com/

Just in. Or rather out:

"Jan. 23rd around 0359 UT, big sunspot 1402 erupted, producing a long-duration M9-class solar flare. The explosion's M9-ranking puts it on the threshold of being an X-flare, the most powerful kind. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured the flare's extreme ultraviolet flash"

Pictures

Last night's activity was created by a class M2.6 last week.

However these blasts are directional and if they miss the Earth then there will not be much to see.

NOAA forecasters estimate a 10% - 25% chance of continued geomagnetic storms tonight as effects from the CME impact subside. The odds will increase again on Jan. 24-25 as a new CME (from today's M9-clare) approaches Earth. High-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras

:(

http://spaceweather.com/

NOAA forecasters estimate a 10% - 25% chance of continued geomagnetic storms tonight as effects from the CME impact subside. The odds will increase again on Jan. 24-25 as a new CME (from today's M9-clare) approaches Earth. High-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras

:(

http://spaceweather.com/

10 - 25% is a pretty wide guess... basically 1 in 10 to 1 in 4 chance of seeing them.

I'm thinking of heading off up the coast with the camera and the missus tonight to see if I can spot them. Anyone think I'm wasting my time?

Thinking about trying to get up the coast myself tomorrow night. Or walk up the big fuck off hill where I live (and less light pollution) but I was thinking of trying up Otterburn.

Couple of bits.

Pop aurora into twitter search and some great aurora pics, particularly one from the Yorkshire dales.

Secondly, a physics geek who goes by @iam_iam seems to know his onions and has said tonight is the calm before tomorrows storm.