More Thatcher than Thatcher

AgentAxeman

I blame her for the way parents don't bring up their kids

Eh? She was very much pro-family iirc.

Her views on her own family may have been admirable. But I don't doubt for a second her "I'm all right Jack" attitude fucked communities and, in turn, families.

Exactly.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a surprise that Christmas tree is a Thatcher apologist. Obvious from his personal philosophy really.

didn't take long for mother teresa to arrive!

Does it ever cross your mind that She was democratically elected again and again and again?

Or is democracy only important when it suits YOUR agenda.

She was universally (well, almost apparently) reviled in the North East though, and was effectively voted in with a block vote from the South East and Midlands who happened to benefit from her 'I'm alright Jack' philosophy. She caused untold misery in the North which we haven't, and probably never will, recover from, and she really couldn't give a shit who she hurt. Her vision of society (or rather, there is no society) was callous in the extreme.

I take it you did OK alright under her though. :icon_lol:

So just for the record if the Tories had not been in power for 18 years, are you saying we would still have thriving coal mines. Steel works, and superb nationalised compaies?

They might be thriving, they almost certainly wouldn't be superb. Most of Europe have protected their heavy industry through subsidy I believe.

What a surprise that Christmas tree is a Thatcher apologist. Obvious from his personal philosophy really.

Does it ever cross your mind that She was democratically elected again and again and again?

She was universally (well, almost apparently) reviled in the North East though, and was effectively voted in with a block vote from the South East and Midlands who happened to benefit from her 'I'm alright Jack' philosophy. She caused untold misery in the North which we haven't, and probably never will, recover from, and she really couldn't give a shit who she hurt. Her vision of society (or rather, there is no society) was callous in the extreme.

So just for the record if the Tories had not been in power for 18 years, are you saying we would still have thriving coal mines. Steel works, and superb nationalised compaies?

They might be thriving, they almost certainly wouldn't be superb. Most of Europe have protected their heavy industry through subsidy I believe.

Sure I read somewhere that the UK has the most extreme regional divide (in our case North South) of anywhere in Europe, barring Italy.

it's that thing though.. the "Broken Window" effect or something? When people are focussed exclusively on themselves they don't care about their community which in turn leads to apathy, resentment etc.

Ask a kid why he's sat on a bench at 10pm he'll say a) it's got nothing to do with you b ) there's nothing else to do or c ) would you like to buy some crack.

Well it's a bench near my house so it has something to do with me, there should be plenty to do and yes please.

Sure I read somewhere that the UK has the most extreme regional divide (in our case North South) of anywhere in Europe, barring Italy.

I don't doubt it. Difficult to see how the divide can ever be bridged. Unless there's some kind of second industrial revolution (something not based on building new supermarkets anyway)

Edited by Kitman

Aye forgot about that report. Mass emigration to the South will solve all our problems. :icon_lol:

And of course Tebbit and his famous 'Get on your bike' comment. What a bunch of cunts.

There's no room left in the South. And aren't all the jobs taken by Polish immigrants anyway? ;)

I don't doubt it. Difficult to see how the divide can ever be bridged. Unless there's some kind of second industrial revolution (something not based on building new supermarkets anyway)

Won't the North just become one huge call centre? We're pretty much a service nation anyway and land oop norf is cheaper, and the accents are palletable (apart from Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham[which isn't North anyway], Yorkshire etc.) and the wages would be cheaper.

it's that thing though.. the "Broken Window" effect or something? When people are focussed exclusively on themselves they don't care about their community which in turn leads to apathy, resentment etc.

Ask a kid why he's sat on a bench at 10pm he'll say a) it's got nothing to do with you b ) there's nothing else to do or c ) would you like to buy some crack.

Well it's a bench near my house so it has something to do with me, there should be plenty to do and yes please.

well thats a pretty sad story there Fish but do you think kids in the 70's wernt out at 10pm, bored shitless! do you honestly believe things were better in the 70's than 80's? if you do then you wernt there!! strikes every week, power cuts every couple of days, no heating, no lighting, no garbage collection, little food on the shelves?. its no wonder communitys were stronger then as everyone had to rally around and share the meagre posessions they had. personnaly, i think life was better in the 80's/90's.

rose tinted specs there bud.

looking back wuith a nostalgic eye etc..............

Don't really think Govt have the ability to change anything any longer.

Certainly not their expense fiddles... ;)

Footnote (Again allowed to fester and fester under greedy labour) :icon_lol:

the wound may have been allowed to fester, but the knifing came from the Tories.

well thats a pretty sad story there Fish but do you think kids in the 70's wernt out at 10pm, bored shitless! do you honestly believe things were better in the 70's than 80's? if you do then you wernt there!! strikes every week, power cuts every couple of days, no heating, no lighting, no garbage collection, little food on the shelves?. its no wonder communitys were stronger then as everyone had to rally around and share the meagre posessions they had. personnaly, i think life was better in the 80's/90's.

Kids are now just consumers like their parents.

The council house bribe was a deft move, kept the workers onside just long enough.

i assume you're talking about selling of the council houses??

i dont know ANYBODY that did'nt make a profit out of that.

Kids are now just consumers like their parents.

well yeah, but its easy to be consumer led when theres actually something there to consume!!

:icon_lol:

the wound may have been allowed to fester, but the knifing came from the Tories.

yes but it was still allowed to fester!!

;)

The council house bribe was a deft move, kept the workers onside just long enough.

Err..People who need affordable housing now??

how the FUCK have we moved to a society where both parents work too?

Then govts/teachers moan that parenting standards are shite.

Consumerism breeds greed breeds consumerism.

Almost no families had two parents working in up to the 80's.

Greed imo, we have been conned to think life is better with a better car, a flatter tv, a fatter gut.

what?, and you're blaming that on Thatcher? Correct me if i'm wrong but didnt the housing price 'boom' happen long after Thatcher had left office??

That doesnt work though im afaraid. If Labour had spent the last 10 years pumping billions into all these industries, where would the cash have come from? NHS, Schools etc etc.

The same place the French and Germans get their cash from...more taxes.

yes but it was still allowed to fester!!

;)

You blame the gunman or the doctor who was unable to save him?

p.s. not rose tinted glasses buddy, I know things weren't perfect, but it takes a special kind of arrogance to say that community spirit in this country hasn't spiralled into this shit. I cannot believe this country was as disaffected then as it is now. Hell, the voter apathy alone speaks volumes!

what?, and you're blaming that on Thatcher? Correct me if i'm wrong but didnt the housing price 'boom' happen long after Thatcher had left office??

Moving swathes of public housing into private hands depleted the housing stock. Can't make it any clearer.