The forgotten story of ... Danish Dynamite

Meenzer

I loved that team in '86. At school they were the players most people wanted to emulate in that World Cup after the display against Uruguay (who were a cynical ultra-defensive side) who they absolutely thrashed. Liquid football.

Won in 92 with a dodgy side. :D

Perhaps the most overused phrase in international football but Holland should've won. Denmark didn't even qualify though :lol:

Perhaps the most overused phrase in international football but Holland should've won. Denmark didn't even qualify though :lol:

They got in because Yugoslavia were chucked out on account of the war didn't they?

They got in because Yugoslavia were chucked out on account of the war didn't they?

Aye. Most of the Danish players were on their hols iirc.

Aye. Most of the Danish players were on their hols iirc.

Yes. Yugoslavia got banned, and Richard Møller spent the next 48 hours at the phone calling players home from drunken vacations. They showed up in a terrible state. Piontek never really got the booze mentality out of those players. The footage of the national team arriving back in Copenhagen the day after the final in 92 is also legendary. They where insanely hung over

It was an amazing diplay of camaraderi and individual efforts. I'll never forget Schmeichel towering out in the area in the final against Germany, pick the ball out of the air with one hand. 86, 92 and 98 where amazing moments in Danish football.

And thanks for this amazing read

A kid who plays for my five a side team, he's a bit of a nob to be honest, around the time of the 1986 WC he actually supported Denmark over England, they were a great team with a horrible kit. I remember one of Laudrup's goals against Uruguay, so unbvelievably well balanced ghosted round the keeper as if he wasn't there and passed it in to the net off the Uruguay player. It's interesting that the Danes acknowledge that they couldn't play like the Germans and be spoken to like Germans, because they are more free spirited, they are not robots like the krauts who have been used to taking orders for over a century, the Danes are more like us than any other nationality in my view.

A kid who plays for my five a side team, he's a bit of a nob to be honest, around the time of the 1986 WC he actually supported Denmark over England, they were a great team with a horrible kit. I remember one of Laudrup's goals against Uruguay, so unbvelievably well balanced ghosted round the keeper as if he wasn't there and passed it in to the net off the Uruguay player. It's interesting that the Danes acknowledge that they couldn't play like the Germans and be spoken to like Germans, because they are more free spirited, they are not robots like the krauts who have been used to taking orders for over a century, the Danes are more like us than any other nationality in my view.

I thought you reckoned the Germans were more like the English than any other nation?

Interesting that a few of that side played alongside Cruyff when he went back to Holland in the swansong of his career. I think Molby and Jesper Olsen played there with him. I didn't really appreciate it at the time but they were a lot like the Dutch in their style of play.

A common misconception, they out German the Germans but have a mad bent to them on consuming alcohol. Germany must be the only place in the world where a 5yr olds tell each other off about littering. I tell Parky Jnr everyday that she is English and will run rings round the Krauts when she gets older. :lol:

Free spirited ranking:

Holland

Italy

Finland

England

France

Sweden

Denmark

Latvia

Outer Mongolia

Germany

Edited by Park Life

his vision also made this amazing goal in 98

Oh goody, another national stereotypes discussion on the horizon.

Everyone feel free to tell me what to post here. I am taking orders.

A proper German would normally listen sullen faced for 20 min before uttering a word. :lol::D

It's just what this place needs. :lol:

Anyway, I was thinking about Mexico '86 today after this was brought up. Some great moments. I remember watching the 1/4 final against Argentina on a big screen in a social club and virtually the whole room applauded Maradona's wonder goal. Amazing given the context. I was gutted at the time like. Other than that there was the aforementioned display by Denmark against Uruguay. There was the flourishing of the Lineker / Beardsley partnership against Poland in particular. Another stand-out was Negrete's (sp?) volleyed goal (can't remember who it was against). Also, I remember the strange feeling of wanting West Germany to win the final purely because of the opposition. Game of the tournament for me though was France v Brazil in (I think) the 1/4 final. Two brilliant attacking sides who were (especially in the case of the Brazilians) a bit past their sell-by date. France were desperately unlucky iirc.

The Lineker 'miss' was almost identical to the one he scored IIRC. Remember thinking 'it went in the first time so why not the second?'

Twat though he may be, Maradona made that side - without him they'd have done fuck all IMO. Valdano & Burrachagga were alright but I never thought they were setting the world alight. Pumpido was a canny keeper too.

Game I remember most for some reason is the Paraguay one in the second round. Think that was more to do with Beardsley scoring mind than anything.