FAO Jimbo

Lazarus

My Blu-Ray collection consists of 3 films. Goonies, New Hulk and Twilight :P

Ive got none :P

Just download them, the discs are ripped to anywhere between 8gig and 20gig.

thank god my isp is truly unlimited.

Theres very little difference between watching an upscaled remastered DVD and a Blu Ray imo. Ive had both and I could barely tell the difference

Those screen grabs of independence day above are from the definitive edition dvd upscaled to 1080p and the blu-ray rip.

The difference is night and and day in that example.

But some blu-rays can be awful (see 28 days later) and a standard dvd played through a good upscaling player (such as an oppo) will look just as good.

i'll post more examples in a bit

Is the difference worth it on a 1080i display?

I have a 1080i in my lounge but I now have a 1080p monitor on my computer and a blu-ray drive but haven't actually watched anything yet - I was going to wait for my next TV upgrade which will probably be next year.

I'm beginning to think the increments are getting smaller - I remember when I got Sky HD 3 years ago that there was definitely a wow factor but now I don't think my brain notices any significant difference - maybe we need a new great leap forward.

Those examples are really impressive, some of the Blu-ray movies I've seen have been clearly taken from either a poor print or are a duplication of the DVD version, I'm glad I've finally seen some examples that show the benefits of the format.

Is the difference worth it on a 1080i display?

I have a 1080i in my lounge but I now have a 1080p monitor on my computer and a blu-ray drive but haven't actually watched anything yet - I was going to wait for my next TV upgrade which will probably be next year.

no i'd wait till you had a 1080p display.

And another thing... i've a blu-ray drive on the pc, a high end graphics card etc etc

play movies in powerdvd using my dolby speakers etc, but movies definitely look better when played from the ps3 instead of the pc (all through same tv/speakers), noticeably better no idea why but they do.

is your pc setup as 1080P?

Saw your comments in the 'what film have you watched thread' and you should also watch 'Independence Day'

Compare the difference:

iddvd.th.jpg idhd.th.jpg

As the thread was for Jimbo, and started by you, I somehow expected to see the chicks in the second picture with no kit on :P :P :lol: Now that would have been truly inspiring. Instead of which, I cannit see any fookin difference tbh:huh:

Good to see the side by side difference. I should show wor lass as she can never tell, or isnt impressed by the difference. If I buy, I only get blue ray now, though its not that often. Just got a popcorn hour thing so Im loading all mystuff on to that.

Theres very little difference between watching an upscaled remastered DVD and a Blu Ray imo. Ive had both and I could barely tell the difference

:P Complete nonsense imo. Either your TV's not much cop or you've been watching poorly encoded blu-rays. The blu-ray disks I've got are absolutely stunning, blows Sky's HD picture away.