The Guitar Thread

Tom

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Got you! 

Whilst we’re on about Helix’s @Gemmill

Do you know of any possibility of err extra buttons to stomp on? :lol: 

Yep, this video will sort you out. You basically just buy an extra footswitch controller, but this bloke Scott Uhl is the king of explaining this shit so I'll hand over to him. He'll show you how simple it is to set them up too. 

Ah class, i’ll get watching! 

I just need a little more flexibility for live. Right now Ive got a Tubescreamer into a “Dark Dove” as a drive and it sounds unreal mind

7 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

I think Boss are still making them, they're just not as cheap used anymore. Im sure there was a time you'd have struggled to even give them away.

Actually maybe it was the original Heavy Metal.

On 07/02/2024 at 19:22, sammynb said:

Actually maybe it was the original Heavy Metal.

That sounds more likely, they're definitely a bit of an acquired taste. I might be wrong but I think they stopped making them roughly around the same time the Scandinavian Death metal scene decided "this is our pedal!".  Seems there's wazacraft reissues of that out now? Fuck knows who is buying them.

On 07/02/2024 at 20:43, Andrew said:

Is this a new version of the thing you (and I think maybe Gemmill?) got recently? For some reason I vaguely remember commenting about a fanned fretboard that this doesn't seem to have. 

On 07/02/2024 at 19:19, Tom said:

Ah class, i’ll get watching! 

I just need a little more flexibility for live. Right now Ive got a Tubescreamer into a “Dark Dove” as a drive and it sounds unreal mind

Fuck is the Dark Dove modelled on? I've just about had an aneurysm trying to work out what it's a reference to. Sure I'll kick myself.

I've just seen there's a Zendrive patch on the Helix. Strikes me as something that might up your street and worth playing around with. 

Edit: a quick search suggests the dark dove is a fuzz that doesn't play well buffered signals so I'm assuming it's based on the Fuzz Face. I'm really curious now, especially since you're running it after a TS. I know a few folk that swear by running it after buffer

Fuck sake, I hate what I've become, this is heavy anorak territory.

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Is this a new version of the thing you (and I think maybe Gemmill?) got recently? For some reason I vaguely remember commenting about a fanned fretboard that this doesn't seem to have. 

Yep, a step into more affordable territory, about a grand. 

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

The Dark Dove is a Russian Big Muff! 

I'll definitely give the Zendrive a blast like!

Ah cool. Well ignore my edit about Fuzz Faces.

The Zendrive is a serious favourite of mines. The voice control is a bit unconventional but really intuitive. It's basically "more gain on tap at the expense of low end frequencies" or "more low end but less gain on tap". Stacks really well with other overdrives too, but on its own it's basically the Hellacopters "High Visibility" sound.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yep, a step into more affordable territory, about a grand. 

If nothing else Strandberg really deserve some credit for surviving the 80's and 90's without ever really changing. 

6 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

If nothing else Strandberg really deserve some credit for surviving the 80's and 90's without ever really changing. 

I think you're thinking of Steinberger

• Jaysus... 1

1 minute ago, Blastronaut said:

Ah for fuck sake. Yeah you're absolutely right. I'll get my coat!

:lol:

It is definitely not the first time you've done that while we've been talking about these guitars 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

:lol:

It is definitely not the first time you've done that while we've been talking about these guitars 

For what it's worth when I was typing "I'll get my coat" I did think "this is definitely not the first time ive said that here".

• Haha 1

It's class man. It never goes out of tune. And I can't tell you the difference of having a guitar that's actually properly balanced. 

It's not an aesthetic thing either, it's cos of the amount of wood removed from the body in their design, the only way to make it balance is by lopping off the headstock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

It's class man. It never goes out of tune. And I can't tell you the difference of having a guitar that's actually properly balanced. 

It's not an aesthetic thing either, it's cos of the amount of wood removed from the body in their design, the only way to make it balance is by lopping off the headstock. 

Funny you mention that, I've just finished building a jazzcaster/telemaster depending who you ask and have spent the last hour adjust the bridge to lose the buzz and get the intonation right, well as close as you can with a three saddle bridge.

And still there is a slight buzz in the fucking B string! So over the weekend it will be clean the frets up and if that doesn't work and check the truss.

I can imagine it's nice and light but the aesthetics just does not appeal, I'm not judging, to each their own.

Edited by sammynb

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Ah don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it weighed 2kg and looked like a tele. 

There's a guy here in Brisbane called Tym Guitars, who builds the occasional guitar - you have to be really lucky to get one, either perfect timing for when it goes on his site or for him to offer to make you one.

Most of his guitars are a Mosrite shape but since covid he's started making them chambered bodies and out of pine laminate.

He's got the weight for them down to about 3-3.5kg, which is impressive.

https://tymguitars.com.au/products/tmi-custom-sbv-2022

https://tymguitars.com.au/products/tmi-custom-jrs-sb75-2022

https://tymguitars.com.au/products/tmi-custom-jrh-sb79 - Les Paul Jnr @3kg!

5 hours ago, Tom said:

They’re cheap though $2400 AUS, whats that about £200? 

Lately I've been using that Chats song "the price of smokes has gone up again" as a rough guage of Aus Dollars to pounds. If it's was $48.50 for JPS a few years ago (and assuming Australia is taxing tobacco higher than we are) I'm assuming closer to £800-£1000. 

Insanely cheap for something like that that's handmade, even before thinking about the body being chambered. I quite like the Mosrite shape, It's all wrong at first glance but after a while something about it just works. Bit like that song Anthem by the Wildhearts. 

8 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20240209-115428.thumb.png.06d2102a13f869de3866a259b7ab9255.png

Is he bong eyed, do you know? 😜

You never seen a Mosrite before Scotty?

I dig that guitar and that's even before knowing that Johnny (the right wing nut job) Ramone loved them.

MV5BYmU3Yjk3YzMtZGYxOC00MjQyLWI1ZDYtMTk3

28 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Lately I've been using that Chats song "the price of smokes has gone up again" as a rough guage of Aus Dollars to pounds. If it's was $48.50 for JPS a few years ago (and assuming Australia is taxing tobacco higher than we are) I'm assuming closer to £800-£1000. 

Insanely cheap for something like that that's handmade, even before thinking about the body being chambered. I quite like the Mosrite shape, It's all wrong at first glance but after a while something about it just works. Bit like that song Anthem by the Wildhearts. 

Our peso is worth about 50-52p, so like Tom says it's about £200

• Haha 1