The Guitar Thread

Tom

On 20/11/2023 at 18:06, Monkeys Fist said:

p.s.  Great to hear that things went so well @Tom, when’s the US/Japan leg of the tour? 

Thanks man- we’ve looked at USA but its super fucking expensive! :lol: 

On 20/11/2023 at 10:54, Gemmill said:

Tom that's fucking mint, what a class experience. When's the next tour?!

We’ve got a whole shed load of stuff on next year…including an album tour for the record we made in may with Duncan Lloyd, an album launch in london for a magazine, and a full tour with a band we may have played with before….

and we’ve not really started yet :lol: 

• Like 1

Dealio :lol: 

It’s quite a shock for people who come over to see the pedalboards like. 

All I use is Wah > @BlastronautBoost > JHS KILT V2 > Helix 

The helix effects I use are proper simple too. I use the Retro Reel for a nice vibrato effect, tape delay & sometimes a univibe. 

It’s just good to know I have a high grade adjustable copy of practically every conceivable pedal on my board 😎

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

Dealio :lol: 

It’s quite a shock for people who come over to see the pedalboards like. 

All I use is Wah > @BlastronautBoost > JHS KILT V2 > Helix 

The helix effects I use are proper simple too. I use the Retro Reel for a nice vibrato effect, tape delay & sometimes a univibe. 

It’s just good to know I have a high grade adjustable copy of practically every conceivable pedal on my board 😎

Here this might be of interest. There's just been a new Helix firmware release last week and one of the new pedals is the Feedbacker.

So you can now get the Helix to produce natural sounding feedback on demand. You just set one of the footswitches up as momentary so it only triggers when you stand on it and you can determine how quickly it comes in, how long it lasts for etc. Pretty clever stuff.

Out of curiosity @Tom, have you compared the Range master with the Helix "Derangedmaster" patch? I'm curious how similar they'd be. You might get away with touring one pedal lighter. 

If you're using it in full range boost mode then then a patch something similar to the mxr Micro Amp might get you into the ballpark but the signal wouldn't hit the Kilt quite as hot (~24dB boost Vs the Rangemasters 32dB). Just a thought. Would mean putting the Kilt in the effects loop of the helix though.

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Here this might be of interest. There's just been a new Helix firmware release last week and one of the new pedals is the Feedbacker.

So you can now get the Helix to produce natural sounding feedback on demand. You just set one of the footswitches up as momentary so it only triggers when you stand on it and you can determine how quickly it comes in, how long it lasts for etc. Pretty clever stuff.

This of interest, very much so in fact as it could have just saved me about £500 :lol: 

I was after getting a Sustainiac put in my Charvel….however this seems to have practically the same effect bar the actual sustain i imagine - which I’d seldom use anyway + the helix could get out of a compressor 

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Out of curiosity @Tom, have you compared the Range master with the Helix "Derangedmaster" patch? I'm curious how similar they'd be. You might get away with touring one pedal lighter. 

If you're using it in full range boost mode then then a patch something similar to the mxr Micro Amp might get you into the ballpark but the signal wouldn't hit the Kilt quite as hot (~24dB boost Vs the Rangemasters 32dB). Just a thought. Would mean putting the Kilt in the effects loop of the helix though.

I’ll give it a go - tbh i was wondering whether to stick the Rangemaster last in the effects loop as the helix seems to eat it up a bit!

I’ve been told a couple of times my solos werent loud enough

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’ll give it a go - tbh i was wondering whether to stick the Rangemaster last in the effects loop as the helix seems to eat it up a bit!

I’ve been told a couple of times my solos werent loud enough

Stick a gain block right at the end of your chain on the Stomp for a few extra DB boost, assign a footswitch and just stamp on that when it's time to melt faces.

This affable Canadian will clue you in on how the feedbacker works:

45 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Stick a gain block right at the end of your chain on the Stomp for a few extra DB boost, assign a footswitch and just stamp on that when it's time to melt faces.

This affable Canadian will clue you in on how the feedbacker works:

I'm sure Paul Gilbert didnthis with an AC boost last in his chain (but all analog).

That might work with the Rangemaster @Tom but it could squeal like a pig and oscillate. In my experience most effects loops don't like 32dB of boost thrown in there, but I've only ever tested with amps, the Helix could be a different kettle of fish. Come to think of it the Kilt might do similar if you crank the output dial, but not sure exactly how much it can amplify the signal. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2023 at 21:32, Andrew said:

What do you reckon @Blastronaut?

I was just thinking about this again and have to tip my hat to Josh Scott for pairing solderless DIY pedal kits with IKEA branding and marketing it like it's basically like building Lego. If it catches on I'm out of a side gig, but fair fucks.

Did you end up going for one? Klons are fun but if you already have a good boost and an overdrive thats in ACDC territory you're probably not missing much.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tom said:

Trying to work out what’s wrong with This deal :lol: 

Nowt, I don't think! I've had a D'angelico before and it was a nice enough guitar. They're definitely overpriced but that doesn't count here.

The one I had had Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups which were class. Was checking to see if it has those but it's got Supro pickups - no idea what they're like and can't find a price for them. If you'd pay £150 to £200 for the pickups though (which doesn't seem like it would be too far off) you're basically getting the guitar for next to nowt.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Nowt, I don't think! I've had a D'angelico before and it was a nice enough guitar. They're definitely overpriced but that doesn't count here.

The one I had had Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups which were class. Was checking to see if it has those but it's got Supro pickups - no idea what they're like and can't find a price for them. If you'd pay £150 to £200 for the pickups though (which doesn't seem like it would be too far off) you're basically getting the guitar for next to nowt.

As far as I can see you can’t get Supro pickups aftermarket. However the rest of the guitar seems good quality for a higher price range (not £400) 

Maple/Walnut/Ebony used, a bone nut, good tuners, double bound etc etc 

I want something with a set neck to back up my LP for shows - but the whole pricing of this feels a little sports direct :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

As far as I can see you can’t get Supro pickups aftermarket. However the rest of the guitar seems good quality for a higher price range (not £400) 

Maple/Walnut/Ebony used, a bone nut, good tuners, double bound etc etc 

I want something with a set neck to back up my LP for shows - but the whole pricing of this feels a little sports direct :lol: 

Honestly I'd struggle to see how you could go wrong.

One thing actually. Are you used to a really thick neck on your LP? The neck on my D'angelico was really thin. To the point where I felt like it was really easy to bend the neck accidentally when playing.

I don't know if I'm just the Hulk or whether this is a genuine issue. Might be worth looking into what the neck is like just from a feel perspective though cos if it's massively different from your LP you might not like it.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

...the whole pricing of this feels a little sports direct :lol: 

It's now showing as out of stock so I'm guessing they've just been looking to shift what stock they had to free up warehouse space for their quicker sellers or whatever new stock is due in early next year. I scored a similar deal on a Bassbreaker 45 Head from Thomann a good few years back, new for about £300. Few weeks later looked at their website and it was as if Thomann had never stocked any of the BB range. 

I get what you're saying though, markdowns like that shine a huge fucking light on the kinda margins these retailers could be making on a lot of this stuff though. 

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

.....Neck was really thin. To the point where I felt like it was really easy to bend the neck accidentally when playing.

I don't know if I'm just the Hulk or whether this is a genuine issue.

My Epi SG is like this, can almost use the neck as whammy bar just by breathing on it. Think it's more a case of unstable green wood than the thickness of the neck or general build quality of the guitar. It's a fucking lottery in that regard. 

Having done a bit more research the neck on this one seems to be reasonably thick, especially round the heel - which sounds daft but with GGs pricing of the D’Angelico shoot first & ask questions later.

The very cheapest I can see this variation of the guitar is £700 marked down from £950 & coming from another country but as far as I can see the materials used & construction are of a professional grade. I’ve seen reviews where it scored very highly in the $1500 price range, so this only has to score highly in the £400 range.

It’s set neck with 50s PAFs, so it ticks most boxes I’d want for a backup guitar (with a good shout for being a no1).

I’ve got a few strats* but my only other set neck HB HB is an old LP Custom (61 SG) that is stickered/smashed to hell.

*the Clapton fills the soundscape of a LP/HB guitar believe it or not but I’m nervous of using it live, possibly because Ive played about 40 shows in a row with LP/SG