Kevin Nolan - the Championship's best player?

ewerk

Paul Fletcher | 12:40 UK time, Wednesday, 16 December 2009

I reckon that at the start of the season many people thought Newcastle would find the task of hauling themselves out of the quagmire of the Championship a very sticky proposition.

It doesn't look that way at the moment as the Magpies are seven points clear of second and 10 ahead of third place in the table.

There are a number of reasons for their healthy situation.

Among them is the dignified and reasoned management of Chris Hughton, the reinvention of Alan Smith as a holding midfielder, the Magpies' defensive resolve and organisation away from home and the fact they still have a squad that elicits envious glances from many rival clubs.

But central to Newcastle's success so far this season has been the form of attacking midfielder Kevin Nolan.

The 27-year-old had stagnated at Bolton but even after he joined Newcastle in January there were few signs of a return to the form that had once seen him strongly tipped for an England call-up.

Nolan scored once last season in 33 games, his solitary goal coming in Bolton's Carling Cup defeat against League Two Northampton in August.

But it has been a very different story in the Championship.

He has already found the net 10 times this season, including a memorable hat-trick in the 4-0 win at Ipswich in November.

I caught up with an understandably delighted Nolan after that match. With the match ball tucked firmly under his arm and a huge grin on his face as he signed a few autographs outside Portman Road, it was obvious that he was enjoying his football again.

He was insistent that the squad had been able to successfully isolate themselves from the chaos that had engulfed the club over the previous months as the relationship between Mike Ashley and Newcastle's supporters disintegrated.

I wasn't convinced then, but his words aren't sounding so hollow now.

Nolan is a likeable man with a sharp and cheeky wit, hardly unprecedented for a scouser but enjoyable company nonetheless. He is a father now with another on the way and has matured as a person over recent years.

He was the skipper of Bolton and has been a leader on and off the field at Newcastle this season. He has said the right things at the right time, regularly paying tribute to the team's brilliant away support but stressing in time honoured fashion that there is a long way to go before anyone can start celebrating.

On the pitch he has been superb and his versatility has been pivotal to the Magpies.

Nolan's ability to take up advanced positions has allowed Hughton to select a 4-5-1 formation away from home in the knowledge that the lone frontman will not become isolated. If required he can play as a second striker or, if two out and out forwards are selected in a 4-4-2 formation, he can comfortably slip into the centre of midfield alongside the more defensive Smith.

The Liverpudlian has rediscovered his ability to lose his marker and ghost into dangerous positions. His recent goal at Preston was a perfect example.

North End have a superb home record and the match was an even game turned decisively in Newcastle's favour by Nolan's goal. He ghosted into space beyond the far post and controlled a low cross with his first touch before swivelling and shooting beyond Andy Lonergan low into the bottom corner.

It was a brilliant finish - a combination of technique and instinct; the qualities that show why Nolan should be in the Premier League.

The likes of Marlon Harewood, Andy Carroll, Nile Ranger and Shola Ameobi might really start to fire soon but they haven't been prolific so far and Nolan's goals have helped to ensure that Newcastle made the solid start to the season that they so badly needed after their relegation from the Premier League.

He is strong on the ball, good in the air and has the ability to play a defence-splitting pass.

There is a lot of the season left but I think he is arguably (note use of word arguably) the Championship player of the year so far.

As Hughton put it, with what I hope was a not inconsiderable amount of deadpan understatement: "Kevin is a very big player for us."

This is not to say there are not plenty of contenders.

Crystal Palace fans, for example, would argue that Darren Ambrose is a contender after scoring in six consecutive matches, while 18-year-old Victor Moses has shown in glimpses why he is coveted by many Premier League clubs. I even read a story recently suggesting Barcelona wanted to sign him.

Moses has been inconsistent but, as a purchase based on potential rather than as the finished product, he might command a higher price in the transfer market than Nolan.

All has not gone according to plan for Middlesbrough but winger Adam Johnson has been a stand-out performer for them. His crossing is excellent and he has chipped in with a not inconsiderable eight Championship goals.

Wide man Peter Whittingham has been outstanding for Cardiff, with 12 goals and is the leading scorer in the division, while Michael Chopra is showing once again his quality at Championship level with 11.

Find of the season so far might just be Bluebirds 17-year-old full-back Adam Matthew, who has been linked with Manchester United.

I have been impressed with West Brom duo Graeme Dorrans and Chris Brunt but Jerome Thomas has probably been their stand-out player so far. I would be pleased to hear whether Baggies fans agree?

Tom Cleverley, on loan from Manchester United, has been superb in midfielder as Watford have punched above their weight. I was very impressed when I saw him against QPR, while Charlie Adam has been in top form for Blackpool.

Forest fans will probably tell you that central midfielder Paul McKenna has been the fulcrum of their side, knitting play together with his extensive passing repertoire, while Matty Fryatt continues to catch the eye for Leicester.

I am sure I have failed to mention plenty of strong contenders and would be thrilled if you were to suggest some.

Of course, by the time the final round of the season arrives on 2 May it may well be that more players have made a strong case to be considered the Championship player of the season, but as we approach the half-way mark of the season I reckon that Nolan is the outstanding player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/20...ips.html#176726

I know his goals have been crucial but the rest of his play has still been shit and has also contributed to the dour style of our play. I know that's being a bit harsh like but he's relying on the three other players in midfield doing his running for him.

Arguably we wouldnt be top without him which by extension would make him the best player in the league.

It doesn't work like that though, does it? I don't even think he's been our best performer either.

Maybe our most important player. I still think he's shit though.

I think Enrique has been out best player and best footballer.

Quite comfortably imo. The whole of the back four in general as well as Harper and Smith have been absolutely crucial in getting us to top though.

it's a difficult question actually - who is the best player in the championship? from what we've seen so far, there isn't a massive mount of competition.

Johnson at Boro's not a bad shout imo.

Arguably we wouldnt be top without him which by extension would make him the best player in the league.

It doesn't work like that though, does it? I don't even think he's been our best performer either.

The player that determines who are the best team (defined by league position) is (arguably) by definition, the league's best player.

He can run around in circles screaming in swahili for 89 minutes, if he continues to put points on the board and by extension keep us top, he is the best player we have.

I wouldnt for one minute argue that he has better technique than Enrique but he is either just very lucky or his movement and finishing are his excellent attributes.

The player that determines who are the best team (defined by league position) is (arguably) by definition, the league's best player.

He can run around in circles screaming in swahili for 89 minutes, if he continues to put points on the board and by extension keep us top, he is the best player we have.

I wouldnt for one minute argue that he has better technique than Enrique but he is either just very lucky or his movement and finishing are his excellent attributes.

I accept that's an argument. He's not a better player than Johnson though, either by performance (or even by stats) this season or by ability and he's had to do it in a side that is relatively struggling. I.e it's not that straightforward. Most important player for us maybe, but that's a different thing imo.

Edited by alex

My only problem with Chez's argument is that scoring goals is valued where as defending is not. Surely it's the defence that has secured the points that have us at the top of this league? As has been said Enrique has added more quality and consistency, better discipline, and definitely more movement.

This reads like a lazy bored journalist

Unfortunately i've not seen enough games at SJP this season to judge him properly on his overall performances across this season. I'll defer to your better judgement on this. :(

Tbf, I'd have to admit he's probably been our most important player. I could make a case for S. Taylor as we look weak at the back without him but that's by the by. It's the extrapolation that because Nolan is our best player and we're top of the league that he is, therefore, the best player in the league that I find to be a facile argument. Fair enough coming from a journalist but, quite frankly, I expect better from you :(:lol:

indeed and the "reinvention of smith"

what reinvention, he was trying to do that role in the premiership as well... except the players there weren't quite as shit.

If we go up and don't majorly overhaul the team we'll come straight back down it's that simple, the players we have now have simply found a level they can play at.

yep. We have 5 or 6 players who are possibly the best or almost the best in their positions, which is why we are top of the league. Only 2 or 3 of those would be good premiership players though, the other 2 or 3 would be OK but not good enough for a progressive club, which clearly shows the massive gulf between the leagues. The promotion teams of 1984 and 1993 would beat the current side.

I do think that Smith is possibly the best player in this position in this league though. Enrique is our best player now, with Steve Taylor and Guittierez being very important for his pace and dribbling.

Nolan is good in this league, Harper is as good as any other keeper, the rest aren't good enough for the premiership although Ranger has a lot of potential but is still only 18 or 19 although Gazza was young and bossed the team around but he was exceptional.

Edited by LeazesMag

Gerrard being widely described as the best player in the league, if not the world, despite Liverpool being 7th also casts doubt on such an assertion.

thats crap that like, he's a top player but not even the best player in the premiership or even at Liverpool for that matter.

Nolan has arguably been the most effective player in the league, getting that many goals and often important goals from a midfielder who i do think contributes well in both boxes in defence and attack. However as has been covered he still looks poor and slow at times, but you couldn't have asked for more from his so far and fair play to him for that.

For me Enrique is the best player, certainly for us and must be up there with anyone in other teams, the difference is he will be able to do it in the prem, and is about the most important player for us not to sell.

Nolan has arguably been the most effective player in the league, getting that many goals and often important goals from a midfielder who i do think contributes well in both boxes in defence and attack. However as has been covered he still looks poor and slow at times, but you couldn't have asked for more from his so far and fair play to him for that.

For me Enrique is the best player, certainly for us and must be up there with anyone in other teams, the difference is he will be able to do it in the prem, and is about the most important player for us not to sell.

The only weakness in Enriques game is his inconsistent crossing. But defensively he is fast, strong, I have not seen any player beat him this season and last season too he showed he has the pace, determination [v.important] and strength to

be easily a player worthy enough to play for one of the top clubs. Like we were under the Halls and Shepherd when we bought players like him and actually kept him because we showed ambition to bring in others like him.

This post would not go down too well on forums like Newcastle Online, as I was banned for spouting shite like this. Shame.

The only weakness in Enriques game is his inconsistent crossing.

Only thing I would add is he tries to play football too much at times when he should be getting rid and on more than one occasion it's cost us a goal. I would say that it's sometimes down to the fact his team mates aren't capable of playing football but he is definitely at fault at times in this respect. Quality player though imo.

yup, he's prone to playing the odd hospital ball across the back our when a row z punt clear is the better option. still one of our best players though and one of those that could do a job at premiership level

yup, he's prone to playing the odd hospital ball across the back our when a row z punt clear is the better option. still one of our best players though and one of those that could do a job at premiership level

Aye. We should enjoy him while it lasts...about, oh, another two weeks or so.